Diablo - 15 Year Anniversary, D3 "almost done"

no attributes... wtf.. anyone here even really care about this release?

no attributes… wtf.. anyone here even really care about this release?

Wait a second, there! The attributes ARE there. You just don't assign them yourself. What's good about that?!

Well, say you roll a witch doctor and assign the points how you imagine they should be… Then find a level 40 required weapon that requires 80 int, but you only put 40 on to int!!!

Oh, we've all been there, right? So how did we deal with it? Spoilers! We'd go find the best armor set on some website and then tailor our stats so we could use it at exactly the required level for maximum power!

Clearly assigning attributes is more a way for people to RUIN their characters irreparably since you either have what you require or wasted your time on a gimped toon.
(The way I see it its pretty much a 1 or 0 affair. Perfect stat assignment = 1, almost there 0.8, rubbish 0.1. This new system everyone rolls a 1. Your stats are ON, they're correct, they're true! The old method didnt have "good" builds, they were either incorrect or correct.)

Likewise, with the "gain 1 new spell/ability every level" with the "ability to swap your moves in and out" setup will actually be awesome. Who has the time to reroll your level 50 barbarian just because you want to have a go with maces for a change but you're speced swords? Thats not replayability, thats grindwork!

A perfect example here is my old World or Warcraft rogue. Before the days of "dual spec" I used to waste 100% of my gold on respecs to switch between my daggers build or my maces build for pvp. I never even got an epic flying mount cos it all went on respecs!

The only problem I have with D3 so far is it seems waaaay too easy. At least theres hardcore mode. =)

The attributes thing is minor. I'm much more interested in how being able to change skills on-the-fly is going to cater to min/max'ers and people who love to figure out unique builds and stick with them.

So far, I've heard nothing to indicate they really know how to solve that - and their constant changes to the way runestones interact with skills smacks of a poorly thought-out design at the core.

This is not your mother's Blizzard.

The attributes thing is minor. I'm much more interested in how being able to change skills on-the-fly is going to cater to min/max'ers and people who love to figure out unique builds and stick with them.

So far, I've heard nothing to indicate they really know how to solve that - and their constant changes to the way runestones interact with skills smacks of a poorly thought-out design at the core.

This is not your mother's Blizzard.

I knew that years ago when the company went MMO focused. Apparently others are in denial are stuck in the past.:p

I agree the skills thing is what is going to make our break it. The attribue thing is largely irrelevent. Based on what I've read though I'm a bit more optimistic that Blizzard has things well thought out and knows what it is doing there though.

The Diablo games hearken back to the earliest roots of cRPGs (like Wizardry 1) only on amphetamine laced steroids. Anyone expecting much more than continual combat and randomly generated "X Y item name of Z" is going to be sorely disappointed.

I liked D1 better than D2. Some of my friends played D2 for thousands (literally) of hours though.

FYI, the skills can't be swapped on the fly, the beta currently has implemented a "Nephalem altar" that you click on to swap your skills. In the beta, there is one in town, and one or two in the world at the beginning of a dungeon.

The devs say they're not sure this will be the final implementation. In fact, I find that the devs say they're not sure about a lot of things. Completely agree about the skill rune thing, it seems to me that they are placing a LOT of the burden of customization/power buffing on those instead of skill points, and yet they're not even available to beta test.

I predict that either the game is a long way away from release, or when they do release it, there will be major balancing issues related to skill runes.

I suppose attributes in diablo are irrelevant. I mean, I personally LIKE the idea that you can nerf your character, which I guess is why I love 3rd ed. DnD so much.. And the NWN character system IMHO in unsurpassed for that kind of thing..

I suppose if your playing diablo 3, what will be unique about you anyhow let alone your character.. lol.

I'm not really sure I like how this is panning out.. I personally would have went with a much deeper diablo 1 / skill tome system / spell level system with attribute bonus.. But again, what would be different about it? I'm sure they could figure that out, unlike their indecisiveness now with this system..

Very..> VERY skeptical..

Well you can't read too much into skill runes not being in the beta. 95% of the game isn't in the beta. It's just like the D2 beta, in that it's an extremely limited part of the game that's designed to be more of a stress test/teaser then anything else.

Completely agree about the skill rune thing, it seems to me that they are placing a LOT of the burden of customization/power buffing on those instead of skill points, and yet they're not even available to beta test.

I predict that either the game is a long way away from release, or when they do release it, there will be major balancing issues related to skill runes.

I'm not worried about it. I'm sure they will ultimately go with an interesting system for character advancement and customization. I haven't been following Diablo 3 closely enough to comment one way or the other, but I'm sure the end result will still be fun at the very least. I just hope it comes to consoles. Any word on an Xbox 360 version?

I've played the beta. It pretty much sucks. I've only played 3 classes, but from what I can tell it's still designed around clicking thousands of times. Sure you get 6 abilities to choose but 2 buttons are attached to the mouse and the way the skills are built you'll basically have 1 or 2 main skills and 3 or 4 situational skills you'll rarely use.

Everything scales to weapon damage even magic spells. So certain skills will have like a 70% weapon damage bonus when performed. Everything is incredibly equipment dependent now. You'll be using equipment with stat buffs to customize your stats I think. There are big stat bonuses on the early equipment so as long as they have equipment with each stat buff you can customize.

If you enjoyed D2 and the endless grinding then you will probably enjoy D3.

The Diablo games hearken back to the earliest roots of cRPGs (like Wizardry 1) only on amphetamine laced steroids. Anyone expecting much more than continual combat and randomly generated "X Y item name of Z" is going to be sorely disappointed.

That may have been true 10 years ago but continual combat with randomly generated x u item name of z plus the type of top-notch story telling blizzard put into D2 sounds a hell of a lot better than what I've been playing in recent years.

Back
Top Bottom