It's EA Hating Time Again

The main demographic I saw at the Games Com consisted of people of around 20 years and below.

Older gamers ? You'd have a looking glass to find them.
Nah, you just have to go to their work places. The 25+ crowd doesn't want to take off work to look at games they can just read about in Alrik's posts. ;)

The thing is, more and more people DO want to play with others. I think they always have but largely couldn't, leaving the gaming hobby to the introverts. But now that games are more likely to have a co-op or some other multi-player aspect, the extroverts are breaking in to the hobby and demanding features that let them "play with their buds".

So he pulled a Riccitiello as he did the same thing about his mp comment. He said one thing and then had to damage control the next day. How typical of EA.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Meh. If I knew his address I'd sent him a present: a cart of enema. A note on it would read: Free to play!

Holy retcon, EA!

Because he is talking about turning more games into only F2P games. Last time EA said every game would have MP. Two completely different things.

If your fine with then it's fine.It seems me and apparently others are not. ;)

At this point it would be hilarious if the one year delay for Dragon Age Inquisition was to turn it into a F2P game. I can imagine the outrage.:mwahaha:

Heroes of Dragon Age is "Dragon Age Inquisition" F2P online components.

And EA have been saying that they were focusing on F2P games since at least last year first quarter financial report and yet, most of this year layoffs were in their F2P branches...

Heroes of Dragon Age is "Dragon Age Inquisition" F2P online components.
No Heroes of Dragon Age is a completely different game, and different engine. I don't even care about that game. :)

Regardless we will go around in circles on this topic. I refuse to give EA any leniency. I remember the saying once bitten, twice shy.

There wont be a third time mark my words.:shakefist:

I don't blame them too much to be honest. I blame the customers for not paying unless you force them to. It's made gaming suck a lot but it's not their fault.

@Arik: Yes, you're allowed to play a game, but you're not allowed to own it. You rent it, either through micro-transactions or advertising.

Then I'm going back to board games again. ;) Problem solved. ;)

The thing is, more and more people DO want to play with others. I think they always have but largely couldn't, leaving the gaming hobby to the introverts. But now that games are more likely to have a co-op or some other multi-player aspect, the extroverts are breaking in to the hobby and demanding features that let them "play with their buds".

Then introduce board games to them. Problem solved. ;)

Board games are imho still a great "tool" to make people come together and have fun together.

So he pulled a Riccitiello as he did the same thing about his mp comment. He said one thing and then had to damage control the next day. How typical of EA.:biggrin:

Bioware had a similar thing in their SWTOR forums. Just look out on YouTube for the parody song of "Heal To Full". ;)

The main demographic I saw at the Games Com consisted of people of around 20 years and below.

Older gamers ? You'd have a looking glass to find them.

One reason for that: Games are still not really accepted by society, like books or movies are. Especially in germany.

Another reason: Young people have more time for this kind of event. Especially during german school holidays. Which miraculously coincide with games com.

Another reason: Young people have more time for this kind of event. Especially during german school holidays. Which miraculously coincide with games com.

Well, yes. ;) And THEN they complain the Games Com was getting bigger and bigger (meaning : more & more people visiting it) … ;)

Imagine the size of it if it was combined with a certain happening next month.

One reason for that: Games are still not really accepted by society, like books or movies are. Especially in germany.

A quick search on google has the average age of gamers to be between 30-37.

I'm not sure if that's true or where they get these numbers but if that's widely believed then I'm really puzzled as to why it seem games are targeted more towards the younger crowd.

I suppose they value hooking kids at a young age to have new customers for life rather than target older gamers who will probably buy the games anyway.

Seems I answered my own question unless someone else has a better explanation?

Then introduce board games to them. Problem solved. ;)
I try, but when I show them the binder with all the Star Fleet Battles rulebooks in it, they run off screaming! These extroverts have terribly unrefined tastes. ;)

I suppose they value hooking kids at a young age to have new customers for life rather than target older gamers who will probably buy the games anyway.
I was thinking that, too, but it doesn't fit. I don't think there's all that much brand loyalty in games. I like Stardock a lot and I don't care for Ubisoft much at all, yet I skip some Stardock games and still buy Ubisoft games. Getting a young following won't help if they aren't loyal at all.

A quick search on google has the average age of gamers to be between 30-37.

I'm not sure if that's true or where they get these numbers but if that's widely believed then I'm really puzzled as to why it seem games are targeted more towards the younger crowd.

Maybe the 30-37 number is there rather for the american market ?
I could imagine very well different numbers for different areas ...

Back
Top Bottom