Windows 8

I think the meto style start screen has potential as an HTPC launch platform if you can customize it. I may have to reinstall the customer preview and see what I can do with that.

Can i upgrade my windows 7 pc to windows 8? kind of curious about that?

Can i upgrade my windows 7 pc to windows 8? kind of curious about that?

Yes, but you really need to look at the small printed text !

And only some things are transferred/imported, too …

My company is getting ready to upgrade....to Windows 7 :D

I've been dual booting win 7 & 8 for some time now. Preview copy of win 8 and now the retail copy.

They both seem the same performance wise but I have a ridiculous system so your mileage may vary.

If your happy with 7 I see no reason to update to 8. I only upgraded because I have a rare disease that makes me upgrade everything PC as soon as it's available.

I will say after having learned the win 8 shortcuts I find navigating it very quick compared to 7 and find myself booting into 8 more and more and leaving 7 behind. To be fair though I never took the time to learn win 7 shortcuts because everything seemed more intuitive so if you like to navigate your os with just the mouse 8 will seem tedious. If you use keyboard shortcuts it wont.

I've been using apps on my Note, Ipad and Google chrome for a while now so the Win 8 apps are a welcome feature, although other than evernote and a surprisingly good bundled sports apps it's slim pickins right now.

I have yet to try a game win 8 won't run but I haven't tried anything dated yet.

Overall I'm surprised to find myself enjoying windows 8 and will probably delete my win 7 to free up the raided ssd's its running on.

I'll stick with win 7 as I have no need for a tablet os on a pc.

I'll stick with win 7 as I have no need for a tablet os on a pc.

Same here, but I do have a need for a decent tablet OS, and I think MS are the people to do it. I'm typing this on an iPad, which I bought mainly for easy web browsing around the house (all PC's are out the back), and it's a constant pain in the arse.

The surface tablet sounds great harware-wise, and I trust MS to create a decent interface for it - I've been loving their work since DOS 5.0!

I'll give it a year for the kinks to be ironed out - and for some apps to be written for it - and then the iPad is history.

I've no interest in this and yet I've really done zero research on it - so I might be missing out.

Is there ANY tangible upside for a gamer like me? I mean, they must have improved some of the basic things. How about the explorer? It's been shit since Win 95 - and I still miss the good old Norton Commander style or Directory Opus. Yes, I know I can get some applications for that - but I'd like a proper OS integration.

From all I've seen there is no reason to get win8 at all. It's not cheap and I really don't see anything revolutionary or better than win7 already has.
Unless you just bought the laptop with two displays (one inside and one outside) where one works as a touchscreen/tablet.

A few more notes…
sakichop, that disease is not rare.
badmofo, I think I understand your pain, I don't have iPad but iPhone, and all I can say is that OS on it is definetly retarded so no wonder Samsung smartphones sell better than iPhone lately. I mean… For example to reset bloody powersaving settings that got messed up for whatever reason (so Viber doesn't ring on my iPhone if it's "sleeping" etc.) I should first crack the OS and then delete certain files so OS will refresh those by default ones. There is no actual option or something, in the end it all comes to plain hacking. And that's just one of unbelievable annoyances that I got on it.

Actually it is pretty cheap as far as windows OS's go. You can download it from Microsoft for 39.99 or get cd copy for 69.99.

I got a cd copy from microcenter for $38.88. I think it's an in store only deal though.

These are all limited time offers of course.

Yes but old OSes, even buggy ME and Vista, had many new stuff inside, not just UI changed. And fourty bucks for just UI... I still say it's not cheap.
Microsoft could just make an add-on or whatever you'll call it, but metro UI for already polished win7. But then it wouldn't be possible to sell that for 40$, right? :)

For example, can you get more than one copy of an application running via the application bar, or are you stuck with the de facto smart phone limitation with one active/inactive running application per icon?

Why anyone would build that kind of limitation into a PC is beyond me though (except to save costs, I suppose).

It's simple:
If you have up to Windows XP, makes sense to upgrade to Windows 8.
If you have Windows 7, stay there.

Well its good for business. a number of companies that I have talked to about getting a job seem to slip Windows 8 in there as part of the interview - likely because they are needing bodies to deal with the challenges and demand.

My view of W8 has been been backwards compatibility with older Windows software on a tablet. Not sure if a touchscreen will be better than a mouse though - I highly doubt it having played around with emulation on my Android.

This is not the first tablet OS by MS. They scrapped one about 2 years ago because it was designed not to be Windows compatible.

Sakichop, have you managed to desktop out of the ugly lo-res screen on your PC?

Well its good for business. a number of companies that I have talked to about getting a job seem to slip Windows 8 in there as part of the interview - likely because they are needing bodies to deal with the challenges and demand.

My view of W8 has been been backwards compatibility with older Windows software on a tablet. Not sure if a touchscreen will be better than a mouse though - I highly doubt it having played around with emulation on my Android.

This is not the first tablet OS by MS. They scrapped one about 2 years ago because it was designed not to be Windows compatible.

Sakichop, have you managed to desktop out of the ugly lo-res screen on your PC?

Not sure what you mean. The metro interface?

Back
Top Bottom