Obsidian Entertainment - Formspring Interview with George Ziets about how He Would

aries100

SasqWatch
George Ziets, Creative Lead on Obsidian's Mask of the Betrayer, has been asked on
Formspring about his ideas for a BG3 game. Here's his take on how the game could have begun, hypothetically speaking that is:
Initially the player may just be staving off imminent disaster as Cyric and his friends move quickly against the player - several strong deities against a relatively weak one. I could imagine the player being forced to abandon the Throne of Bhaal and going on the run across the planes. The player's goal would be to gain followers (faith=power), usurp the divine portfolio of another god, and carve out a base of power in the wider multiverse.
In the commens he clarifies that they were planning a reboot of the series:
.......It had been about 10 years since the BG games, which may have been too long for a direct sequel. I know we were planning a reboot of the series that could appeal to gamers unfamiliar with the franchise.
More information.

Planescape: Usurper? :)

Sounds cool. There's a few old classics I wouldn't mind seeing rebooted.

Last edited:
In a divine-level planar campaign, the player might stir up a civil war on Mount Celestia, conquer a layer of the Abyss, or assemble an adventuring party of divine avatars. Ultimately you’d take back the Throne of Bhaal, smack down Cyric and his friends, and establish a place for yourself among the pantheon of gods.

I'm glad they didn't end up going that route. It sounded like another high-level campaign similar to Throne of Bhaal. I didn't care for the gameplay as much once you reached very high levels in 2nd or 3rd Edition D&D.

Just give me a party of low-level adventurers with leather armor, thank you. You can keep the "divine-level" gameplay. :)

Sounds good to me. To bad I doubt there will ever be another game in the series despite Beamdog's and Obsidian's attempts. Hasbro seems content to license there IP to make F2P mmo's.

Last edited:

Just give me a party of low-level adventurers with leather armor, thank you. You can keep the "divine-level" gameplay. :)

As in the start of BG, Oh no a wolf!
I like making my character as powerful as possible but after a while its not just fun anymore. So give me fear of the wolf!

I don´t like the DnD ruleset, but isn't it established that they work best around level 7-14? (2:nd ed.)

What is Ziets doing now?
Mask of the Betrayer is one of the top rpg experiences.

C

He is practically already working on Baldur's Gate 3 since Project Eternity is what you get when you want Baldur's Gate 3 but don't have the license.

Back
Top Bottom