DOS CRPGs & Introducing myself

I know a second-hand shop which had a lot of these older gems - for a cheap price. The last time I was there, however, the whole building was overhauled.
I don't know where the shop went to.

The "Ultima - The Second Trilogy" box is what I have as well.

He or she hasn't got international releases, it seems to me. I cannot see the later release of Die Schwarze Pforte, the German version of The Black Gate (I have it as well).

Last edited:
@magerette - thanks, I will search the net for this specific release.:)

Have any of you tried full versions of Yendorian Tales games. Part 2 and 3 are a lot like old Might&Magic 3-5. I did play the shareware versions and haven`t yet decided if I should order full games. It`s 23€ for the complete saga.
More info - http://www.swgames.com/

Those games look really good. I'm very interested. If you do decide to order please let me know how it goes.

Since we're talking old DOS games here, would anyone happen to know of a place where I could download a copy of Loremaster by Creative Software?

Or be able to upload a copy somewhere for download?

My old floppy died a LONG time ago, and I just stumbled across the manual in my Lands of Lore Guardians of Destiny box...

EDIT: The copyright on the back of my manual is 1992, and they had a San Francisco address listed. IIRC I got it via mail order based on an ad that I probably either saw in CGW or Dragon magazines...

Off to do some more googling, as it's apparently available at a Russian site, but after bopping between google translate and the page to register it would appear that they want $$$ for downloading.

EDIT2: Searching purely on Creative Software Corporation turned up a page with a web site address about a company whose listed president just happened to have the same name as the game's producer in the manual. Site hasn't loaded yet, so I decided to look up the domain name, and then noticed that the administrative contact listed was listed as "creative consultant" in the manual, so I shot off an emai. I'm not very hopeful, considering that there site is failing to load up, so if any of you have an alternate source, I'd appreciate it...
Quoting myself to do a second check as the email addresses associated with the domain bounced(not good), and a quick google turned up absolutely nothing else worthwhile...

A few questions for Dos-Box folks...

Has anyone played "Fantasy Empires" ? Is it a genuine Rpg in your opinion ? Any comments on it at all ?

I played it back in the days... a good action-strategy-game, but no RPG at all... the only real rpg-element is that your armies and heroes gain levels. But it was cool to command armies of Shadowelves and Orcs :)

I started playing Ravenloft - Strahd's Possession.
I find it very good. The interface, sounds, music, character portraits are superb.
The combat has lots of challenge. The plot sucked me in pretty much from the beginning. And the atmosphere is fantastic. I don't know about the Ravenloft setting in general but this one has this Dark, Horror, Almost gothic kind of fantasy feel to it- which is very VERY Good. I have the CD-rom version - dialogue is voiced, lots of animations and cinematics. And the overall feel of the game is just right. The dialogue is very well written and the voice-acting is believeable.

You get to create 2 characters using the 2nd ed. ADD rules. in addition to the two self created characters there's 2 free slots for companions you meet (and you meet them alot) that you can bring along. I made a Human Paladin and an Elven Fighter/Thief. I figured they both can Kick arse in melee and the other one can do some basic healing (you start at lvl 5) and the other one can open locks. It was not a bad choice - very soon I found a very helpfull elven mage and soon after that I stumbled upon this rude & hostile female cleric who was willing to join my party :D

Somehow this game really "clicked" for me. It just kinda sucked me in - can't stop playing. Only downside is realtime combat, but as I said - the interface is excellent so it's no biggie.

Highly recommended. Propably gonna edit my TOP DOS RPG vote soon if the game keeps being.. well.. so good :D

Last edited:
In the old days I bought and sold every game i played. Just have money to buy the next one. Some games i gave away when i got tired of them

The Ravenloft serie is some game i HATE myself for selling. I would like to have the games right now. I also kick my self in the head pretty hard for letting my copy of Anvil of Dawn diminish somewhere.

Today i buy everygame i think i am remotely interested in. I usually wait for the price cut, before i buy it, but since i usually find myself wanting to play the game in a couple of years, i just don't dare to stand aside. (I do not have that many games on my radar, so i can afford this luxury of mine! :) )

@mute

exactly what I used to do too..play and complete said game...sell it (or take it back to the shop under a suitable premise..hehe) so I had enough for the next game I wanted..I kicked myself for selling Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back!
Post late 80s I decided to keep all the decent RPG's and other games and I am really glad I did. Many a time, I rummage through my collection to try out an old game again. (Plus I prefer the packaging to the newer soulless dvd packaged versions).

Ses senare, Roo

Second-hand markets of any kind are dominated by action and strategy titles (including FPS), but some games almost never appear there : Adventures.

Adventure games are really hard to find.

RPGs are in the middle of both, depending on the title. Action-RPGs are easier to find than deep, story-driven RPGs.

And of course the older a game gets, the harder it is to find, generally.

This is based on my quite high own experiences of several flea-markets, second-hand shops etc. When I'm new in a town you can be sure that I'll visit a second-hand shop when I see one.

I believe I'm nearing the end in Ravenloft - Strahd's Possession.
Time to start thinking about what to play next..
Eye of the Beholder 1 or 2.. Ultima underworld 1 or 2.. Lands of Lore 1...
or Albion.. or Realms of Arkania 1.. or Anvil of Dawn.. all those games seem great.

Tough choice :(

Back
Top Bottom