PCGamesN - Brian Fargo How to win at Kickstarter

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Brian Fargo - How to win at Kickstarter

Brain Fargo is interviewed at pcgamesn. He gives his opionion on how to make a successful kickstarter.
PCGN: Is it a challenge to sell a Kickstarter campaign on concept art alone? What's the worth of that artwork to you, as a developer?
BF: I like to start with the concept because there are no technical parameters, let’s just dial in the look that we have that really captures the feel of what we want to do. Then when we’ve done that we’ve set the bar really high and we can say, how do we get to that? And that drives us to push ourselves harder, and that’s how I’ve always done it. That’s why they can be meaningful when done properly.

PCGN: When you reboot these old IPs, fans often have diametrically opposed ideas about what they want the game to be. Is it a problem making sure most of your backers are satisified?
BF: Ahh, no problem at all. None! Well yeah, I mean, it’s sort of a yes and a no. You’re right, not only are you trying to build a product, you’re trying to build a product that’s often based upon their memory of what it was, and not even what it actually was. We all get fonder of things as time passes, so I recognise that we are competing with people’s memories of those games also. Not what they actually were.

The reason I have confidence is because our communication is much tighter than it’s ever been before. Back in the days when we worked on Wasteland or Fallout of Planescape: Torment, we would work on these games in a vaccum and then hope we nailed it. We’d realease it and keep our fingers crossed. Kickstarter is anything but that, we’re in this constant communication, showing them things and reacting and modifying and dialling it in. We have our own sensibilities too, we know what pillars we’re going to hit and those aren’t going to change, but they know what those are and we know what those are. It allows us a greater confidence that we’re delivering against a vision.
The other part of it is that we have an amazing writing staff on this team. It’s unbelievable, you know, we’ve got Colin McComb, Pat Rothfuss, Chris Avellone. It’s an amazing team of writers.
More information.

Last edited:
Of course it helps to be Brian Fargo with classic crpgs under your belt!

This is bit off topic, but now that the more well known and successful classic crpgs have been covered via kickstarter, wouldn't now be the perfect time to do a D&D Baldur's Gate III? Of course it should be a new premise as the Bahlspawn storyline was properly ended. Regarding licensing, who would be in position to make it?

Last I heard the license expired in 2008, so I think it would resort back to Hasbro.

Hasbro has the license to Baldur's Gate and as long as you don't use things from the original game in it that is all you have to deal with. If you want characters and other elements from the original games you would have to deal with Atari since anything they specifically created would be still copyrighted by them.

I don't think we will see anything from either company... Besides a new Baldurs Gate game, I'd like to see different D&D modules be made into a modern Temple of Elemental Evil with deeper story and rpg elements. Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about the recent projects, but I'd still like to see a true D&D game done like Wasteland 2 or Project eternity. By the way, I'd like to see a new Icewind Dale as well!

I don't think we will see anything from either company… Besides a new Baldurs Gate game, I'd like to see different D&D modules be made into a modern Temple of Elemental Evil with deeper story and rpg elements. Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about the recent projects, but I'd still like to see a true D&D game done like Wasteland 2 or Project eternity. By the way, I'd like to see a new Icewind Dale as well!

I agree with the success of the other rpg's we can't rule out others will be kickstarted eventually. Right now there plate is full with there current projects.

Someone should tell Josh Sawyer to kickstart his Black Hound nwn 2 mod idea. It was described as Baldur's Gate 3. Here is the gamebanshee link unfortunately he abandoned the project due to time and resources.

Link-http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/theblackhound1.php

Last edited:
A little competition wouldn't hurt. If Hasbro isn't interested, perhaps somebody could approach Paizo about the possibility of Kickstarting an IE-style FRPG using their Golarion Pathfinder setting? It'd be a win-win for both parties.

Back
Top Bottom