RIP Steve Jobs

I don't think people are putting down Steve Jobs but its the unfairness of life that makes them mad really.

I'm not claiming it was unnoticed - I'm just pointing out the obvious truth that it was noticed A LOT less.
Definitely agree - but that is just a fact of life.

I'm not going to get into what it means to contribute to life with you, but I don't see how it belittles anything. Probably because I don't recognise the difference in "size" between individuals I don't know.
I didn't clarify the 'one who has contributed' ... I was referring to Ritchie. He made a great impact on the underlying tools driving technology in the 70's and 80's and formed the basis for tools of the last couple of decades. He did so quietly and diligently.

Based on my understanding of him as a person (which is admittedly as one-dimensional as my knowledge of Steve Jobs), he wasn't the sort of person who would want to be used to push an agenda seeking to trash someone else who just died. THAT was what I meant by belittling - if your death is just a tool to trash someone else ... that sucks.

I agree, though I hope you're not implying the posting of the picture was part of an effort to "tear down at all costs".
No - I was speaking (as you were) in generalities. This is a little comic on a forum ... if someone saw that as 'at all costs', they need to get out more. ;)

Likely, it was an effort to demonstrate the problem with worshipping individuals, and as such I'm fine with it being "anti-worshipping" because that's exactly what I think is the most healthy approach for everyone in the world.

Anti-worshipping is technically correct as you infer, but I was referring to the tendency that just as strongly as some people worship others, there is a crowd seeking to trash those same people. In technology, folks like Gates and Jobs attract that in particular as the so-called titans of technology of the last 35 years.

Definitely agree - but that is just a fact of life.

It doesn't have to be, though.

I didn't clarify the 'one who has contributed' … I was referring to Ritchie. He made a great impact on the underlying tools driving technology in the 70's and 80's and formed the basis for tools of the last couple of decades. He did so quietly and diligently.

Based on my understanding of him as a person (which is admittedly as one-dimensional as my knowledge of Steve Jobs), he wasn't the sort of person who would want to be used to push an agenda seeking to trash someone else who just died. THAT was what I meant by belittling - if your death is just a tool to trash someone else … that sucks.

Again, I don't try to evaluate the "size" of people I don't know. In fact, I don't try to evaluate that for anyone - because I don't think in those terms at all.

That's why I can't see or recognise the "belittling" no matter what you do with someone's picture to push an agenda.

Anti-worshipping is technically correct as you infer, but I was referring to the tendency that just as strongly as some people worship others, there is a crowd seeking to trash those same people. In technology, folks like Gates and Jobs attract that in particular as the so-called titans of technology of the last 35 years.

Yeah, we can agree that human beings are idiots in general.

I don't think people are putting down Steve Jobs but its the unfairness of life that makes them mad really.

And I would say in reply that if you believe that you can elevate your life by trashing others, it is time to look inwards and perhaps seek professional help.

Might as well troll Mike a little more, i havent seen him this worked up in a while.

Attachments

• 81935411.jpg
    81935411.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 31
Might as well troll Mike a little more, i havent seen him this worked up in a while.

Not to rain on your tolling, but about what tech.person.word that NOT be true? We talk about tech as changing lives, but for many, some food shelter would be more useful ...

Steve Jobs & Dennis Ritchie were great computer freaks. I would add Jay Miner the "father of the Amiga"

-John C. Dvorak, PC Magazine, October 1996
[AmigaOS] remains one of the great operating systems of the past 20 years, incorporating a small kernel and tremendous multitasking capabilities the likes of which have only recently been developed in OS/2 and Windows NT. The biggest difference is that the AmigaOS could operate fully and multitask in as little as 250 K of address space.

-Byte Magazine, August 1994
The Amiga was so far ahead of its time that almost nobody—including Commodore's marketing department—could fully articulate what it was all about. Today, it's obvious the Amiga was the first multimedia computer, but in those days it was derided as a game machine because few people grasped the importance of advanced graphics, sound, and video. Nine years later, vendors are still struggling to make systems that work like 1985 Amigas

Not to rain on your tolling, but about what tech.person.word that NOT be true? We talk about tech as changing lives, but for many, some food shelter would be more useful …

I don't think the fact that tech people "contribute" in that way, takes away from the point of the pictures.

But I'm not sure it's the tech people who're fully responsible for the insane focus on what they offer. I think the consumer is at least as guilty.

Back
Top Bottom