Call of Duty Sets Sights on a Fee For Online Elite Mode

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I could of saw this coming even though Activision denied it. Seems there doing damage control now since it got leaked. But hey Activision isn't that bad of a company you know as they say. So instead of selling you map packs for $15 you will pay a monthly fee well over the dlc price in the long run. Bobby Kotick needs a new mansion you know.:rolleyes:

Link-http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304563104576355310423496054.html#ixzz1NudOjVRx

The Wall Street Journal has posted the news that Activision is readying an announcement that will find the next Call of Duty title, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, offering up a pay to play monthly subscription fee. The service, called Call of Duty Elite will be a monthly payment that will "provide extra content that isn't offered on game discs sold in stores, including downloadable map packs that give players new Call of Duty levels to play.

Consumers are used to paying $60 each for videogames that run on consoles like the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Now the publisher behind the industry's biggest videogame franchise— "Call of Duty"—is about to find out whether it can get them to pay a monthly bill, too.

Activision Blizzard Inc. plans to launch an online service called Call of Duty Elite this fall that will work with the next major edition of the game, "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3," and future installments of the hyper-realistic combat-simulation game. In a move industry executives describe as a first, Activision plans to charge a monthly subscription fee for the service, which will provide extra content that isn't offered on game discs sold in stores, including downloadable map packs that give players new "Call of Duty" levels to play.

Activision executives said they haven't yet figured out how much to charge for the service, but they expect the cost to be less than fees for comparable online-entertainment services, such as a $7.99-a-month Netflix Inc. movie subscription. Portions of the service will be free, including features inspired by Facebook Inc. that will let "Call of Duty" players meet for online gun battles with others who share various affiliations and interests.

Both Infinity Ward's Rob "FourZeroTwo" Bowling and Activision's Dan "OneOfSwords" Amrich are in damage control mode on Twitter, suggesting that Call of Duty's core online experience will continue to remain free just as it has in past games.

Also this-

Like other publishers, Activision has earned money selling "Call of Duty" map packs and other digital content for one-time charges, but subscriptions to its new service could give it a continuing way to capitalize on the online popularity of the game.

Rob Dyer, senior vice president of publisher relations at Sony's U.S. games division, said only a few games have the audience loyalty and size to support a subscription service like Call of Duty Elite. Mr. Dyer said he is "very confident" other publishers will follow Activision's lead. "There's money to be made there," he said.

You heard it from the execs mouth other company's will follow there is money to be made here.

Haha, they have no limits :)

I guess this is because they're starving and can't make a profit otherwise, right? ;)

The problem is its a great way to capitalize on there fanbase. Stupid people will support it and it will be the next big thing other publishers and developers will follow. Money speaks louder than being sensible. Think about it just charge $7.99 a month and they make $100 dollars a year off every customer. More money than just selling dlc as they claim 7 million people play daily.

One could argue that it depends on what you get the your XX monthly fee.

World of Warcraft users don't seem to mind paying every month and if a monthly fee for a FPS like Call of Duty means a guaranteed minimum access to dedicated servers with this or that mode activated and/or a minimum of YY new maps each month, then I can easily imagine a lot of fans would consider it worth the money … but in the end it all depends on the fine print.

Well look at this way if the model is successful company's like Bioware and Bethesda will adopt the policy for delivering dlc also. Its a money trap and the company's will love it. Its a fine line between getting content and being milked for nothing. Time will tell if its a good idea or not.

Shooter MU demands for a lot of maps, it is a convenient way to reset the balance level between players.

When maps remain, veterans and talented players emerge and keep owning the other players.

Inject a new map and the cycle has to start again.

Will players pay for new maps regularly and getting the illusion they stand a chance at this game? Just like Bioware strategy, looks like another finely thought strategy likely to succeed.

One could argue that it depends on what you get the your XX monthly fee.

World of Warcraft users don't seem to mind paying every month and if a monthly fee for a FPS like Call of Duty means a guaranteed minimum access to dedicated servers with this or that mode activated and/or a minimum of YY new maps each month, then I can easily imagine a lot of fans would consider it worth the money … but in the end it all depends on the fine print.
World of Warcraft have just gotten real crazy with microtransactions. It started with services like server transfers, then character customizations, then small vanity items. Now you can get buy mounts for 25$ to save you from saving up in-game gold for it. There is also a payed cross-server dungeon service planned. So yeah, Call of Duty gamers should look forward to this new subscription model.

EA responds to haters.

Call of Duty Elite free features detailed, “even haters can play for free”

Home > News > Call of Duty Elite free features detailed, “even haters can play for free”

Activision have updated the official Call of Duty Elite FAQ to include a list of the free features included in the service. Call of Duty Elite is set to launch alongside Modern Warfare 3 on November 8, and will be backwards compatible with Call of Duty: Black Ops. You’ll find the list of free features below.

Elite’s free features will let you:

Access Elite through the web as well as Elite’s free custom iOS and Android applications for smartphones and tablets
Communicate any way you want across mobile, console and the web with your friends
Track and share thousands of stats with friends – k/d ratios, score-per-minute, win % and loads more, all represented in easy to understand charts and infographics
Create your own custom leaderboards to track friendly rivalries – who is moving up and down in your group of friends?
Analyze advanced heat maps detailing your match-by-match performance – where you killed or got killed, when it happened, and more
Analyze your weapons performance – which weapons you are best with in which situations
Upload and share videos of your greatest moments through our exclusive theater mode with the touch of a button
After you analyze your performance to your heart’s content – Customize your loadout – search through all the weapons, attachments and perks, and push them directly into the game menu from the web or your mobile device with the touch of a button
Join dozens of groups and find other players with common interests to play with and compete against – find people who make the game the most fun for you – TDM, Lakers’ fans, Weekend Warriors
Create a Clan with players who share your interests and taste for competition
Bring your Facebook friends right into the game, easily taking your existing network into the Call of Duty experience.
Seamlessly be placed into Groups with those who share your affinities and interests based on your Facebook profile.
Start tracking your Call of Duty career — everything you wanted to know about your performance across the franchise starting with Black Ops

Activision say that more free features will be added as the service grows after launch. Premium features aren’t listed yet because “the service was designed to be deeply integrated with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, and will not be demonstrable until we are closer to the launch of the game.” Activision promise full details “by the end of the summer.” They’re also keen to reinforce the fact that “Elite only adds to the Call of Duty experience … if you want to continue to play Call of Duty as you always have, you will still be able to do just that,” adding that “even haters can play for free.”

We do know that subscribers will get access to a Call of Duty web TV show featuring “top Hollywood talent.” To get an inside look at the service, you can sign up to be part of the closed beta test now.

I dont give a shit what they plan to give for free in light of this new micro-fund-suck. I dont like this, it sets a horrible example for the others.

It used to be that companies gave you extra stuff just to keep you a customer, now the attitude is they give you extra and dammit you need to be thankful for it. Now pay for the REALLY GOOD EXTRA stuff. I guess I'm just pining for the Old Days as we are wont to do at times, and half-drunk and maybe making a CelticFrost moment here, but seriously…. fuck them.

I dont give a shit what they plan to give for free in light of this new micro-fund-suck. I dont like this, it sets a horrible example for the others.

It used to be that companies gave you extra stuff just to keep you a customer, now the attitude is they give you extra and dammit you need to be thankful for it. Now pay for the REALLY GOOD EXTRA stuff. I guess I'm just pining for the Old Days as we are wont to do at times, and half-drunk and maybe making a CelticFrost moment here, but seriously…. fuck them.

What?

Are you waking up? :)

Glad I'm not the only one hating the business model and what it will do to future titles. Activision is targeting the kid and teenage audience who by nature will need to be elite because its the in thing. Parents get your credit credit cards ready. Love how your a hater just because you have common sense to see what it really is.

It's a lost cause, though.

People will do anything it takes to play the popular games.

I fear you might be right.

Well its a success. Almost 2 million idiots have already signed up for it.
Less than a month after revealing plans for a new Call of Duty subscription service called Elite, Activision's Dan Amrich has revealed that over 2 million users have signed up for the beta.

"I just got the number back, and it blew my mind," writes Amrich on his website One of Swords. "More than 2 million gamers have signed up at callofduty.com/elite so far — and they hit that number in less than two weeks."

Despite the large number of signups, Amrich says there's plenty of room for more. "Don’t be discouraged by the big number, thinking you shouldn’t bother because they already have enough people — two million volunteers among 30 million Call of Duty players is a small amount. More would be even better."

Call of Duty Elite will bring a new social dimension to the popular franchise by allowing players to find friends of similar skill level and interests, to join clans, to join groups, to play in organized tournaments and more.

Activision Not a Big Bad Empire you know.

Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg says the company needs to be "transparent and honest and human" with its community in order to shed its undeserved reputation as gaming's Evil Empire.

If you were told to name the most soulless, corporate and downright evil videogame company in the business today, your response would almost certainly be Activision. Somehow, despite making the most popular videogames on the planet, the company is also far and away the most widely loathed. Hirshberg, naturally, says that rep is entirely undeserved, but he also recognizes the need to turn it around.

"I think that the case is drastically overstated in terms of the reality that I see," he said in an interview with Gamasutra. "I see a very creative company that gives its developers the tools and the resources they need to do great things, that isn't afraid to [delay] games if that's what it takes to get them right."

One of Activision's biggest problems from a public relations standpoint is that it tends to be seen as a relentless machine that grinds ideas into money, an image that CEO Bobby Kotick sometimes seems to actively cultivate. That's a perception that Hirshberg would like to change.

"It's about putting a human face on the company. It's about being transparent and honest and human in our dealings with our community," he continued. He pointed out the handling of the Modern Warfare 3 leak as a fine example of the right way to go about engaging the fan base, adding, "We got a lot of props and a lot of pleasantly surprised people in our reaction to that. People assumed that we would go silverback gorilla crazy, and we didn't."

The upcoming Call of Duty Elite is a prime example of the Activision dichotomy: forums exploded with rage over the idea of a subscription-based CoD service while at the same time, more than two million gamers rushed to sign up for the beta. Hirshberg acknowledged that the limited information revealed in the announcement, necessitated by the fact that much of it is embedded into Modern Warfare 3, caused confusion, but he also noted that some people are just determined to get mad about things. "I'm not sure that there was any way we could have messaged it any better and not gotten that response from that portion of the audience,"

There you have it more pr.

Back
Top Bottom