Drakensang: TRoT - In German Stores, Add-On Revealed?

It sold in the US for $29.99 MSRP which is about right for it's production level, not close to AAA yet several cuts above your typical indie effort.

The point is that it is NOT an Indie game ! So - from a German perspective, where this game was sold full-price, this U.S. price is to me like ... to underprice it. To sell it below its real value.

It's not cutting-edge technology, the localization was not as good as it could have been, PC-only market is small, you have to compete with titles like Mass Effect - Dragon Age - Fallout, and TDE as a gaming universe means little to mass market people outside germany... I can understand they took the low price road.

@Gorath: In terms of business I wouldn't put my money on such statements. That's nothing totally under their control and there is always a possibility they have to change their mind.

@Gorath: In terms of business I wouldn't put my money on such statements. That's nothing totally under their control and there is always a possibility they have to change their mind.

I know. But in this case it was not the guy you usually see in front of a camera. He was asked directly (or rather faked casually - you know what I mean) about DLC for Drakensang by a journalist from one the big online mags, and he looked like "Shit, why did he have to ask me?" He smiled a bit sheepishly and said something like "What should I answer here?" That's not the usual "Please ask our publisher about these things." ;)

About the business model for the add-on:
Who knows. It's entirely possible it will be a imple add-on. But given the abismal distribution of Euro RPGs in 2/3rd of the world, chances are that 10$ per attached DLC would roughly double the money dtp gets per copy. So if I were in their shoes I would seriously consider this, especially if I have a highly efficient dev like Radon as a partner.

Another detail deserving to be mentioned explicitly:
Bernd said in a recent interview or chat that Radon Labs is working on more Drakensang stuff. Simultaneously.

First impressions after 15 hours in the game:

Drakensang: TRoT is an overall improvement over Drakensang.

Very nice locations, many interesting quests, many unique characters, challenging combat. Choices and consequences, party interaction …

two thumbs up -> recommended!

A really cool mix between The Witcher and Startrail.

Only one glitch so far:
I could not open two doors in the old ruins at the elves with the context-menu.
Using a picking-knife on the doors helps.

Since the website for the "AddOn" says it only has one new location I'm betting on DLC.
If it really only has one new area then it would be much too short for a real, disc-based addon.
Also, I'm guessing this will come out very soon, to coincide (kind of) with the re-release of the P&P Phileasson-campaign, which was released recently.
If it came out very soon (lets say 2 months) DLC would also make sense.

I like everything so far, but the fights have seemingly become - as wished by the community - fewer, yet more challenging. More tactical.

You need to equip your party much better now, imho.

Back
Top Bottom