Vampyr - Interview @ GameWatcher

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
GameWatcher interviewed Stephane Beauverger, Vampyr’s Narrative Director:

Vampyr is a dark action RPG set in gloomy Whitechapel, 1918. London is gripped by the Spanish Flu, and thousands of lives have been claimed as the virus tightens its grip on the city. You play Jonathon Reid, a doctor who is trying to solve the mystery of the virus, and also – possibly more importantly - discover who it was that turned him into a vampire…

Developed by Dontnod Entertainment, who have previously been responsible for Remember Me and Life is Strange, Vampyr certainly heralds from a rich bloodline. GameWatcher met with Stephane Beauverger, Vampyr’s Narrative Director, recently in Paris to discuss the trials and tribulations of bringing the creatures of the night to life.

GameWatcher: Why did you decide use London as Vampyr’s location? Did you consider any other cities?

Stephane Beauverger: No, one of the reasons why we decided to create a storyline in London is because it’s a gothic city. There are so many legends and mythological creatures associated with the city, with a background as rich as London has, it was easy to imagine a vampire lurking there.

GameWatcher: In the game you play a vampire, an undead creature of the night. How much of the vampire mythology - such as stakes, running water and so forth – is conveyed in the game?

Stephane Beauverger: The vampire figure is very complex because it is such a huge architype; there are many, many versions of this creature. Can it be affected by holy water? Can it be affected by crosses? Does it sparkle in the sun? We had to decide on the specifics, and once we had that, we had our own unique type of vampire. So in a way we created our own lore. For example, they are not ghosts, they have bodies and they can see themselves in mirrors, but they cannot enter a house without being invited. We created all the rules and then decided how to use them.

[...]

Gameplay:

Thanks Couch!

More information.

After the best vampire game: Vampire the Masquerade, this game will earn the title of worthy best successor.

Looks great.

I'm not quite sure how they are going to pull off and open-world version of London, at the quality they're showing, on an indie budget.

This is looking pretty good.

I'm about half way through Remember Me (one of their other games) right now and it's a good game (gameplay is kind of a cross between the batman games and assassin's creed, just very linear). Very well polished and well written story.

I'm assuming this game will nail the atmosphere/looks and story/writing parts…I just hope they do the same with the actual gameplay.

edit: Also Remember Me does NOT really feel like a low budget indie game. Not sure how it's budget compares to Vampyr though (and it was linear, not open world).

Last edited:
They say in the video it wont be open world. Just semi-open interconnected maps.

After the best vampire game: Vampire the Masquerade, this game will earn the title of worthy best successor.

First I see it as successor of Dishonored. Except the lore, of course, but we dont see that thing yet. :)

Remember Me was half realized game...too much combat oriented, instead of focusing more on characters and setting. Still a great game.
Terrific environment design, a bit familiar to Fallout IV, with the same apocalyptic/utopia contrast going for it, but better realized, less cartoonish.

remember-me-1.png

I kind of wish they expanded on the same combat system, that few people appreciated...very fluid, you could create your own combos, mix it with additional powers...basically an ass kicking ballet.

Just watched some videos of Remember Me. I can't believe i missed that game. I really like the concept.

Back
Top Bottom