Winter Voices. Opinions? (List of reviews)

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire
Original Sin Donor
I was interested in this game, because it seemed rather unique, has an interesting art style, and frankly, because unlike many gamers, I don't mind games trying something "artsy" from time to time. However the reviews of the Prologue are discouraging, so I am not sure If I am willing to pay for the Prologue episode (I had hoped the first episode would be free, to be honest), and will probably wait until the whole thing is released and rated as a whole. Has anyone here tried it and is willing to offer an opinion?

Honest Gamers
3/10
"It’s all a shame, because Winter Voices’ first episode has some moments of sparkling brilliance, combining the low-tech hand drawn artwork with the odd inspired moment of effective writing. Then, it goes right back into miring itself in as many ways as possible. Poor pacing, boring battles and mountains of pretentious prattling more suited to an art house coffee shop after hours. The game tries — it really tries — to take the gamer on an intellectual ride, to sell us its world, its setting and its misery. But in doing so, it often forgets that it’s meant to be a functioning game underneath all this. "

Game Vortex
(no rating)
Winter Voices is a game with a ton of potential. But it needs a new script, and it needs battles that don't feel like endurance tests. The music and the look of the game are pretty much where they need to be, but it's hard to keep playing through the frustrations of trying to translate a translation. With some tweaks, this could be a great, dark journey into this heroine's past. Let's hope it gets the tweaks.

Bit Tech totally slams it
3/10
"What you really need to know about Winter Voices is that it’s biggest problem is that it has a strain of literary diarrhoea which usually affects young goths. It is constantly spewing out pseudo-philosophical, pseudo-poetical nonsense in vast quantity and to very little effect, in other words. Never has there been a game more in need of a visit from the red pen."

REsolution Magazine
5/10
"In the end, terrific atmosphere conveyed by the visuals and music, and some great ideas create a unique and initially interesting game. The repetition, in both the combat and poetic dialogue, unfortunately damages the experience to a severe enough degree to ruin the fun. However, it’s all amendable within the episodic setup of this series release, so perhaps episode two will fare the winter better."

Sounds like a "wait for the whole package" situation. Still, I'd be interested in hearing from someone who has actually tried it.

I just started playing it, Ive only played the first installment "avalanche"

Winter Voices trailer

Winter Voices is a game that demands patience, and I'm not a very patient person by nature, so I was initally put off by the slow pacing of the game. It has be approached almost like an interactive book, and since I've done that I find myself enjoying it more. It has a great art style, and if you play it w/ air conditioning blowing on the back of your neck it enhances the experience. Good music too so far, creepy industrial like stuff.

It's a game about emotions and personal demons. If youre one of these people who are going to scream "emo!" at something thematically sad and melodramatic, this game is not for you. This game is pure melodrama and poetry. The skills you get as you level are like "Emptiness", or "Buried feelings" that buff you in certain ways,etc. But it's also quite unsettling at times, youre dealing w/ dark spirits, the spirit of your dead father, hallucinations.. probably even moreso if you really do have a dead father in your past, such as I do.

It's a slow game, a really slow game. The tactical combat sequences almost go in reverse theyre so slow. Approach it like a book, be prepared to sit down and read a lot of melodramatic prose on the nature of life, death, and sanity. I think it's a good game so far, I plan on playing the next installment.

The father says in the game at one point "I stepped into an avalance, it covered up my soul…" I reeled back in my chair, it's as if the game was speaking to me. This particular quote has great personal significance, it's the first line of a Leonard Cohen song that speaks to me from a time in my life of great personal turmoil and loss. I knew at that point, this game had me.

Last edited:
Somehow, it reminds me of Icewind Dale in gameplay-wise. I'll try it out. Maybe it has an old-fashioned graphic detail, but there's also the story that interests me the most. This story tells itself, as if you're reading a kid novel. I'll try it the next time I buy it in retail morph. :)

The artwork style looks incredible and it looks like I would like the music alot as well BUT it does not sound like a game I would get very far in before setting it aside sadly.

This is one of those games I want to like but know I would not.

[QUOTE="xSamhainx]-snip-[/QUOTE]
Thanks to you I am now sold on this game. I had it on my radar for quite some time, but wasn't convinced yet. Mainly because I haven't found any positive experiences about it so far. Now, I am definitely going to pick it up once the full season is released.

I would strongly adivse to play the demo before you buy. While I do love the idea of this game, it does have significant issues (both technical and in the narration/writing), and I think the demo will give you a good idea wether you can put up with them or not.

That said, I am happy to read xSamhainx's report - if the game can get such a reaction out of somebody, it has met its goal, I'd say. And just goes to show how much laregly untapped potential games / interactive narration holds.

Back
Top Bottom