Wasteland 2 - New Interview Roundup

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I managed to roundup a few more interviews for Wasteland 2 this week. So lets get started shall we, and be ready to read a huge wall of text.

Strategy Informer has the first interview with Director and inXile founder Brian Fargo.

Strategy Informer: Last December you delayed Wasteland by a year, how has that extra 12 months been put to work on the game?

Brian Fargo: Well, you know it's funny. When people say to me “how about the game being late?” I always think, let's talk about being late for a second here. Because if you think about it, if you're a publisher, you would never give a release date before you started, right? Maybe after you hit alpha, but never before then. With Kickstarter, though, you give it up front. That's already odd. On top of that you're saying “we're going to give you a date for a game that we have no idea how big it is yet, because we don't know how much money we'll get”. So when triple the money we planned came in, we wanted the game to be even bigger, which made that initial date make even less sense than before. So yes, we're late, but what are you going to do? With that extra funding we don't want to make the same game we planned and just pocket that extra money, I don't want that, I want to do something big and ambitious. As long as you have the finance to get you there, which we had, you should try something special. So I didn't worry about that extra year, I knew we were going to create something twice as big and crazy as what we had originally. At the end of the day, when everybody gets this game I know I'll never hear about that delay again. No-one will say “oh yeah, it was brilliant but remember that delay?” That's not going to come up.
The second interview is from Rock, Paper, Shotgun who talk with Brian Fargo about NPCs, DLC , and Save-Scumming.

RPS: You’re basically finished now?

Brian Fargo: We’re in the final stretch. We’re gonna give an update tomorrow or the next day, which is pretty darn representative of the Arizona section of the game. That goes out to all the beta testers. All we’re really doing at this point – because we have very few critical error bugs remaining – is adding more polish. We make changes all the way to the last second, so it’s adding particle effects, adding more variants of things going on, messaging things better, typos, lots of little things. That’s all going to happen over the next four to five weeks. You can play the whole game start to finish, everything’s in there now, we’re just in the final stretch.

RPS: You were saying about how many bugs the community had identified for you – is that stuff removing the need for QA?

Brian Fargo: Oh, we have quite a big QA team, we have a whole group in Poland that’s helping us to do QA. Remember, on the LA map side, that isn’t in the public yet, so we’ve had to throw a bunch of bodies at that. Even on the Arizona side of it, we still have it, because we can say “we need you to play through the game and shoot everyone,” because that’s a different play experience. Most people who play it are trying to play in a more normal fashion, so we’ll dictate that QA play it in certain ways. Plus there’s ourselves, a small team internally, but there’s a lot externally. We do regression tracking and all that, there’s a whole science to keeping it bug-free.
The third interview is from Ausgamers. and they talk with Chris Avellone.

AusGamers: Who do you think is the target audience of Wasteland 2? Is it for fans of the original game from 1988, or are you trying to attract Fallout fans, or a whole new audience?

Avellone: Wasteland came out so long ago that I think a lot of our backers probably didn’t have the opportunity to play it. What I think they bought into was the idea of an underdog developer trying to make a concept be realised. Also I think it appealed to a lot of the PC audience who wanted to get an ‘old’ isometric style RPG, and to see more games like that. I also think that (director/producer) Brian Fargo was really good at building up a lot of energy and interest in the game. He’s done that for so many years, he’s a really good talker and speaker. I’m not sure how many people have played the original Wasteland, I think people just appreciate that a new RPG is seeing the light of day through Kickstarter.
And for last I have another interview from USGamer with Chris Avellone who talks about cut features, and pu...More information.

Wasteland 2 release is pushed to september.

Which is not bad in my case as:
- I plan to play Risen 3 this month upon release
- I dropped any possibility of buying Sims4 after seeing how much content was cut out (also september release)

I was never one to get bent out of shape over release dates being puched back. I want the devs to have as much time as possible to make sure they are getting all of their features put in. I think that was Skyrim's biggest problem. They came out with that stupid 11/11/11 release date. And they had to cut a lot of content to get the game out by that date.

I absolutely agree with the release date being pushed - I want a good game when it's ready not a rushed great concept with heaps of bugs and short game play. Plus in 2014 there are many of good PC games that one can play plus everyone has a backlog anyway. I'm also happy that Pillars of Eternity and Witcher 3 went the same path - games being delayed couple months is something I can live with and I do appreciate extra polish.

Ho guys
Bought The alpha months ago!
Is it possible to play The game from start to end now?
Characters and saved games will be usable in the final version in September?

Ho guys
Bought The alpha months ago!
Is it possible to play The game from start to end now?
Characters and saved games will be usable in the final version in September?

No, as far as I'm aware you still can't play the second half of the game. AS for save compatibility, I doubt it. I would wait until release, or at least expect to start over when release day comes.

Probably a month or two after release, so that it's properly patched up and possibly modded.

Back
Top Bottom