Witcher 3 Tips and tricks

The Witcher 3

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Thanks for the various links, azarhal!

Nice, azarhal!

I like this one.
There is sometimes a timer ticking down, rushing you to make a choice. Try to keep calm during these moments.

So is GOG Galaxy required for the day one unlock (i.e. patch) and DLCs?

Last edited:
So is GOG Galaxy required for the day one unlock (i.e. patch) and DLCs?

Not for the unlock patch. You can download that from your GOG account webpage. Not sure about DLC. Haven't looked because it sounds boring.

The DLCs are also on the GOG website, Galaxy is not needed to get them.

Overview of supported hardware.

Attachments

• Witcher3.jpg
    Witcher3.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 122
Some tips after playing a wee bit more.

I've seen people complaining about having to use Alt+WASD for dodge (the step away move), but double tapping the direction keys work as well (effective only while in combat).

People might shy away from Yrden because it sucked in the previous games, don't here. It's quite effective to slowdown and trap mobs even when not upgraded.

When crafting stuff, take a look at the dismantling section. It's sometimes more cost effective to dismantle junk items instead of selling them or crafting from raw materials.

I've seen people complaining about having to use Alt+WASD for dodge (the step away move), but double tapping the direction keys work as well (effective only while in combat).

Nice one. Is that even in the manual? Either way, I'm glad you mentioned it. :thumbsup:

About movement, I've seen many people (a little everywhere) suggest to reduce camera sensitivity to 0.75-.80 and that it helps a lot (mine is even lower, but my mouse is super sensitive).

If you are moving and see the "E" (interact button) show up, you don't have to stop moving to open the dialog to pick stuff up. Just hit E. Mostly useful for picking herbs while running.

You can do half-pipe sandboarding in the game.

Remember that White Honey cancel potions effects *cough*like Cat*cough*. Also, potions/oils replenish themselves when you meditate no point in not using them.

Nvidia micro-stutter issue fix.

About movement, I've seen many people (a little everywhere) suggest to reduce camera sensitivity to 0.75-.80 and that it helps a lot (mine is even lower, but my mouse is super sensitive).

If you are moving and see the "E" (interact button) show up, you don't have to stop moving to open the dialog to pick stuff up. Just hit E. Mostly useful for picking herbs while running.

You can do half-pipe sandboarding in the game.

Remember that White Honey cancel potions effects *cough*like Cat*cough*. Also, potions/oils replenish themselves when you meditate no point in not using them.

Nvidia micro-stutter issue fix.

Nice info, I haven't noticed any microsutter though but I'll apply the fix and see.

Some more tips:

When you destroy a monster's den, you can loot it afterward. *sigh, totally forgot to do that*

Place of power give you +1 skill point when used (need to hold the interact button). Some are well hidden too from the look of it, it appears I missed 4 in White Orchard…

You can return to White Orchard after the story makes you leave it, so if something is too hard (there are some level 6-7 mobs there) or you missed something you can return later.

Specters (the wraith family) drop loots, it's hard to see the small dust pile on the ground. Also, the Yrden sign reveals wraith that step inside the "trap" (that's why the bestiary recommend it).

Don't forget your horse's saddles (horse stamina increase) and bags (inventory weight limit increase). Increasing the horse stamina might look useless with the "auto-road-follow" but I had to run after a dude on horseback for a quest so it might not be…

Specters (the wraith family) drop loots, it's hard to see the small dust pile on the ground. Also, the Yrden sign reveals wraith that step inside the "trap" (that's why the bestiary recommend it).

Yeah, some of the loot drops are hard to see especially near foliage. I usually just activate my Witcher sense after a large battle to make sure I didn't miss anything.

I didn't see the loot when I killed that Specter haunting the well in White Orchard and would have missed it entirely if there wasn't a note in the journal about it.

There is no healing through meditation on modes above normal difficulty, which in my opinion is a bad design decision.

So if you are playing on a harder difficulty level than normal, make sure to get the skill "sun and stars" under the general skills tab of the character screen. This automatically regenerates health and stamina for you, and it has been suggested to take this skill when you have your very first skill point.

I think being able heal by simply meditating is a terrible idea, and I'm thankful it's not in the harder difficulties. It lessens the importance of alchemy, and the game is already a bit on the easy side as it is.

I think being able heal by simply meditating is a terrible idea, and I'm thankful it's not in the harder difficulties. It lessens the importance of alchemy, and the game is already a bit on the easy side as it is.

Understood, but I really don't like alchemy, and never use it in rpg games. I know some really enjoy it, but I don't. I basically ignore alchemy in rpg games, and don't like picking up all those damn plants laying everywhere.

To me, healing through meditation makes perfect sense, and is basically the same principle as healing through resting. And should be present in all the difficulty levels, though on higher difficulty they could have just made it so you didn't regain as much health as in lower difficulty levels.

The first ability point I used was the basic regeneration thing that's found in the general skills tab. I've never had to do anything specific to regain health after that. It'll fill the health bar while I'm roaming around, though it's not fast enough to regenerate it all if you fight often.

Back
Top Bottom