S.T.A.L.K.E.R. mods

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
I've decided to replay this great game with a major mod before I get Clear Sky. There are two mods I keep running across Alive and Oblivion Lost. The Alive mod has had mixed reactions and I know nothing about Oblivion Lost. Has anyone tried these or other major mods? I hear Alive breaks the quests and makes it impossible to finish the game, so I think unless someone says otherwise I'm going to skip that one.

What about Oblivion Lost? Does that break the game as well? I've been reading Oblivion Lost thread at Filefront but there are well over 300 pages there. I'll be there all day if I have to read all that. Maybe one of the diehard stalker fan here can help me out :)

Anyways, any recomendations on mods for my second time through? I don't want the main quests to break but want something a little different this time around. Thanks in advance.

Well since no one seems to have an opinion on any mods I might as well tell you that I tried Oblivion Lost and it is the best choice out of the ones available. So far it hasn't broken any quests and it has added some interesting elements to the game like being able to drive vehicles. That is just one of the many features added to this game but it has made this second run through a lot different than the first.

I remember reading about the Oblivion Lost mod. It's mainly an attempt to restore all the things that the developers cut out of the game before it was released, hence the name 'Oblivion Lost', which is what the devs originally intended as the subtitle for STALKER.

Keep us updated about any bugs, I'm curious as to how well those new vehicles\items\monsters work, since they were supposedly cut because of bugginess to begin with.

Here you go JDR a little update. I've made it to Duty's stronghold and now I'm doing the quests at The Bar. I have to say I'm impressed with this mod. I expected at least one quest to be broken due to the amount of new stuff they put in, but so far every quest is intact.

There is too much added content to even begin listing, but I'll try :)
The new mutants/monsters I've ran across are zombies, mutant kitties, some kind of psuedo blinking dog (I don't remember if they had that in the vanilla version but they sure are annoying when they blink out of existance and then back in), long armed zombies (they have another name but that is basically what they are), and mutant rats.
Zombies are a little annoying because after you kill them the first time they'll get back up and you have to kill them again. I've tried shooting and stabbing them when they are on the ground but it doesn't do anything until they stand back up. Normally they stay down the second time they fall but I've had one get back up three times. They're not very many of them but so far they are logically spawned like in the swamps or abandoned buildings. I've had a couple spawn after a blowout near the beginning camp, but they weren't in the camp. They were on the outskirts of it. The sentry saw them and they guys there took them out with only one loss on their side.

The big kitties are tougher than they look, well they look like a mutant cougar so maybe I should say they are as tough as they look. They attack with three or four of them together.

The dogs are just as tough as in the orginal but now they won't run away forever. One thing I hated was chasing down those dogs for miles. I'll be a monkey's uncle if the AI doesn't have one attack you straight on while some of the others try to get behind you or flank you.

The human opponents can now use grenades and they are pretty good with them too. When a grenade is thrown a "G" will show up on the minimap and if you don't move your behind quick enough you'll be hamburger. Basically anytime you see someone throw something or a G pops up on the minimap run!!!

The human AI is a little better but if you're in a building and they're outside they'll still come in one at a time. It doesn't matter if they're are five bodies by the door. Outside or underground the AI seems good. It will try to find cover and normally won't go out in the open stupidly.

Tons of new weapons, but the most interesting new concept they've added is recipes. You can get recipes that allow you to transmutate. I haven't done it yet but the recipes consist of finding a certain artifact and throwing it in a specific anomaly, wait a few hours (you have a sleeping bag that allows you to pass the time quickly in 1, 3, 5 hours or rest until healed) and there is supposed to be a new object in it or it transforms you. I'm still not sure about how it exactly works. That will be what I try next.

You now can get hungry, but it isn't annoying in any way. You just have to eat some food once or twice a day. A fork and knife icon will pop up when you're hungry.

The blowouts are all over the place now and they are a lot different from the original. Everything will go red, the earth will shake for a long time. You better run your butt off into a house or you'll take some damage during the end of the blowout. The damage normally isn't enough to kill you but your radiation level will rise in increments and your health will lower. The first time this happened I just woke up and everything went red. I saw the "loner" stalkers running like the devil was on their tail, then all hell broke loose. Mostly it isn't damaging it just adds a sense of danger to the zone. Also it's pretty cool to see how the AI will send everyone into buildings as fast as they can run. I just follow these guys whenever a blowout happens. These blowouts happen about once every day or two days. Not too much to be annoying, it's just right to add to the atmosphere of the game.

Vehicles are ok. No real bugs with them other than they will keep flying in the air if they hit an anomly that throws them in the air. You just jump out when that happens but the car keeps flying. Then after the anomaly is over it will fall back to the ground. I'm pretty sure all cars are indestructable, but I might be mistaken. I took a grenade hit in one and I died but not the car :) I mostly use cars to quickly backtrack to a trader or a certain zone.

The different factions will attack each other from time to time and you'll get a radio message saying who is attacking who and where. You can go in and help out or ignore it, either way it has never broken any quests by killing off a main character.

All in all I think I'll play this mod before I buy Clear Sky. It has added a lot to the atmosphere of the game. It really has turned my second run through of this game into basically a whole new game. I think this is what the devs where trying to do in the first place. The whole zone feels alive with it's own agenda that you have nothing to do with. Mutants attacking mutants or humans. Factions vying for power in the zone.

There are tons of stuff I'm probably missing and will post more after I've gone through the science area and killed the big ugly boss their :)

All of this has been done on the Elite level. The readme recomends the Hell level but I'm just not a headshot master in FPS, so I chose the one right before hell.

Oh one last thing, night is dark. I mean really dark. You need a flashlight to see, but if you turn on the flashlight other critters and humans see that instantly. With the flashlight turned off you can sneak up close and shoot them before they see you if you're careful. If you don't want to do any sneaking all you have to do is sleep until it's daylight. The weather effects are nice also, but I think they had rain and fog in the original.

Link to Oblivion lost 2.2 download
http://stalker.filefront.com/file/Oblivion_Lost_22_for_1005;93039

Last edited:
You now can get hungry, but it isn't annoying in any way. You just have to eat some food once or twice a day. A fork and knife icon will pop up when you're hungry.

I'm pretty sure this was in vanilla STALKER, too. Still, it does sound like an exciting mod. Is development still ongoing, or...?

I'm pretty sure this was in vanilla STALKER, too. Still, it does sound like an exciting mod. Is development still ongoing, or...?

It's been awhile since I played it, but I didn't remember getting hungry. Though, now that you mention it you'll probably right. Food doesn't really heal you anymore. Just a tiny bit. Plus bandages only stop bleeding, they don't heal either. In the readme it says that minor bleeding will heal naturally but no other. You have to use a bandage to stop it.

I forgot to mention a few things like Dwarves. I have no idea what they are because I haven't run across them yet, but I got a radio message saying they were attacking some base and I ran across a quest in the bar dealing with them. It's not long till I see if they are the runty, beard loving, ale guzzling kind or a hellish mutant bent on destruction ;)

I did a recipe. It doesn't tranform you like I first thought. It transforms your artifact into something else. I just did it with the Ancient Beads artifact. I put it in a whirligig for six hours and waalaa a brand new Elder Bead. Plus from what I can tell there are recipes that transmutates normal artifacts into something that you can't find normally. There is also a small chance that something will go wrong and you'll lose your artifact.

Don't bother picking up guns to sell. Like in the original they aren't worth hauling around. Especially now since almost every gun you pick up is in need of serious repair. The variety of guns that you can now find is a lot better than in the original. So be choosy with what you want. The merchants are more stingy with their cash but if my memory serves me right they weren't that giving in the original either.

You can find artifacts on your enemies. I've found a few stoneflowers and such. They are still rare but every now and then its nice to pick up something that is worth selling.

Weapon damage is increased and the crosshair is now just a dot. No more arrows showing you how big an area your bullets might hit. At first I was a little put off by the tiny dot but you get used to it and you can see where your bullets are hitting so if your missing by miles then crouch as low as you can go to make sure the bullets hit the mark.

Once again I'm sure I'm leaving out a few hundred changes but these seem like the major ones.

@Vperic I'm not sure if they are still working on it or not. It took me a few searches to find out that 2.2 is the latest build. There are some additions and other patches that people have made for this mod, but I wanted to play it without anything else. Go to filefront forums. They have a thread over 300 pages dedicated to this mod.

I would rather do some power levelling on my cooking talents in the kitchen so that I'm able to prepare better and more tasty meals for my self.

Hey! You got some powerleveling in my soup, damnit!

Is it too hard for these guys to hire someone who know English. I'm sure their "profession" staff will make your game happy fun time with their "experiance" staff.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program. Not much going on with STALKER. I've got a science suit and now I'm headed over to the research lab to find out what those dwarves are. There are tons of weapons over at the Science lab. I haven't had a chance to try out some of the newer ones. Other than that I bumped up the difficulty to Hell and that caused some freaky graphic glitches. It cleared up after I reloaded the game.

I wanted to try out the "Oblivion Lost" mod but i'm having problem with vanilla version of the game. It is steam version. First - the game refuses to save any setting options (resolution, texture details, etc); second - i am not able to create save game (clicked save but when open up the load menu there's nothing inside).
Any idea?

Fixed. Problem with fsgame.ltx file contents command that pointing to non-existing save game directory.

The sound effect of pulling out weapon/binocular sound weird huh?.

I've been using the Zone Reclamation Project mod along with a little extra carrying weight (150kg) and 5d quests as 1d just doesn't cut it.

Back
Top Bottom