Matt Barton - What’s wrong with Matt Chat?

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Mat Barton has a new post on his blog asking what is wrong with his show.

Since my last post, I’ve been thinking more and more about what I’ve been doing “wrong” with Matt Chat, at least in terms of building an audience. Many folks have pointed out, and I think correctly, that with the caliber of guests I have on the show–and I’ve been maintaining that for years now–the show should be doing much better. There are countless guys out there doing simple reviews and let’s play type videos who are simply obliterating my views and subscriber lists.
More information.

Wondered about that myself.
Personally I don't like to actively sit infront the screen doing basically nothing but watching two people talk. Imho Matt Chat would make a great podcast format though.
I ripped the Lord British interview and put it onto my mp3 stick (yeah, I am one of the few who never had a mobile phone) and listen to it on my way to work or home. Well, the beer part felt odd, but otherwise it works great.

I find his interviews more academically slated. In addition the subject of the show is highly specialized so I don't think there is much to be gained by changes in the format. If you view it as education, rather than entertainment, then I think he's a perfect host. The material is durable, and it is of historic value.

Maybe he's just whining because John Carmack hasn't agreed to be interviewed yet… :p In contrast, god knows why people pay to hear him drone at Quackcon…

He said something like if you don't pay to watch my show then you are a dick, I have purposively boycotted it ever since.

Daniel.

I love Matt Barton's works. His book about Desktop&Dungeons shed light into the history of RPGs. I also ordered his book about interviews with legendary game devolopers. We need more people like him and Crpg Addict in this scene.

Wondered about that myself.
Personally I don't like to actively sit infront the screen doing basically nothing but watching two people talk. Imho Matt Chat would make a great podcast format though. .

It is like Kordanor says though: And when I look at a let's play it is more like "I really need to see how to get past that boss" or "I am too lazy to fire up or buy this game right now, let's see what it looks like with someone playing it"

What is not told is "yeah i fired up the let's play but the guy was so annoying I shut it down after 5 minutes and looked for another let's play"

So many times I think it is the topic that drives those views (how to blah blah in Skyrim) vs the quality of the subject presentation

Well, barring that fact that he's not a very good interviewer and the segway between questions is usually more of a cliffdive, I'd say that the reason he doesn't get more viewers is because he assumes a modicum of industry-awareness from his viewer base.

To take it to an extreme, it's akin to wondering why the annual Game Developer's Conference isn't as popular as the Consumer Electronics Show.

I don't even know who Matt Barton is but a quick google search shows he lives only 45 min from me.

I think its mainly apples and oranges: interviews are not gameplay or previews. Totally different audience. Its like asking why people don't like REO Speedwagon AND Usher...I don't get it, its all music?

I really value what Matt has been doing. He is basicly collecting and writing video game history. These interviews of older developers really give great insight to videogame business. I wish more industry people would recognize his efforts and give him some well earned appreciation, because these interviews are really valuable for anyone who wants to know what the early days were like and what kind of persons were the people behind all these great games.

I think there is nothing wrong with these kind of interviews. I enjoy the slow pace as it lets devs to think their answers and give some cool backround information. And there is certainly nothing wrong with the host. His dedication, knowledge and preparation shows in every interview. You just have to watch these more like a documentary rather than pure entertaiment. This kind of gaming journalism has lasting value.

So keep up the great work Matt, and let me raise a big glass of ale for you :party:

Oh. I loved that book. Never made the connection that this "chat" was from that Matt.

That said, I still don't think I will start watching his videos anytime soon. I simply don't have the patience for video interviews. Give me a transcript, though, and I will click the link and skim the questions for anything of interest most of the time.

Another thing Matt has going for himself, is that his content is timeless.
It will be just as relevant in 5 or 10 years, as it is now. Not many Youtubers can say that.

Back
Top Bottom