Quest for Glory IV - Retrospective

I always got the Quest for Glory games confused with the King's Quest series for some reason..

You are not the only one.
I still dont know the differents actually. Guess its time to look it up.

The biggest difference between King´s Quest and Quest for Glory games is that former are pure adventure games and latter are adventure/RPG hybrids.

First and fourth Quest for Glory were my favourites from Sierra (along with King´s Quest 6 and Gabriel Knight). QfG IV had great atmosphere. Also bugs, though.

Speaking of The Witcher, I got rather strong QfG IV vibes from its fourth chapter.

I assume you mean NWN2 OC followed by NWN2 MotB? NWN OC is nowhere near NWN2 in my opinion. I enjoyed the NWN2 OC a whole lot myself.

Yeah, meant NWN2 OC. Never finished NWN OC (or even played either of the expansions, though I have them)

I can understand not getting into Civ V since all of the Civ games since 2 have been too simplified and just plain suck compared to 2.

2 was by far the best, but I really enjoyed 3. I played 3 so much that I actually began to hate it because it sucked so much of my life. 4 took me a while to get into, primarily because when it was released, the ATI cards didn't work with it and it took them months to get it fixed (How they missed that in QA, I'll never know), but I loaded it up a few years later and it was a nice obsession for a few months.

Lucky you, my wife never goes on a holiday ;) Neither are my stepkids .

We try to each take a separate mini-vacation each year. I go to Vegas for an extended weekend, she goes to visit her family. I usually get another one or two as I need to go to Austin for some conferences for my alumni group. This year is different though, she's heading to Texas for a couple baby showers (she's 5 months pregnant). I'd better get my game playing in now!

Her choice! I tell her she can go anywhere she wants. She goes to Creston, Iowa.

With the exception of QFG3 (which I found to be "ok… I guess"… the only real standout moments in that entire game were the end sequences for each class with the Demon Wizard, and the resolution in the Leopardman Village; the rest of the entire game was just, there) I loved the entire series. Loved the introduction in QF1, loved the Arabian Nights setting of QFG2, and QFG4 is probably tied with QFG2 as my personal favourite.

In terms of modern games, these are the granddaddy of Bioware's more recent stuff. Only Bioware's stuff isn't nearly as funny (nor is it supposed to be). But it's the same strange mix of adventure, RPG, and story-driven game play (complete with romance), all wrapped up in one area-based package.

Excellent series all around. Have still got my Quest for Glory collection around here somewhere, but if you want a taste of the series and what it's like, AGD churned out a very faithful (and free) remake of QFG2 just a couple of years ago, and while they did make a few additions (pizza elemental, a couple brigand encounters, etc), it's still very much the same game that Sierra made back in the day. And it doesn't need DOSbox, either.

Clicky!

Edit: getting the acronyms right

Last edited:
I thought QFG 3 was fine. Granted it probably wasn't the best out of the series, but I don't get why people think it was horrible. Was it the African setting, plot or something that I just missed? I liked the whole tribe initiation, fighting with spears and just about everything about that game. You don't get too many rpgs set in Africa afterall.

As for QFG 4 itself, I loved every minute of it even with all of the bugs that were present at the time. Cthulhu lore mixed in with other not so common mythological creatures and throw a dash of pure wackiness into the mixture and you have a great game.

I totally agree about the authors assessment of Katrina. Great writing for her and she is one of the few bad guys that I wanted to save at the end of the story.

I really wish more companies had tried to mix adventure with rpg. They are not going to be blockbusters, but they had to of made some money since they made five of them before the series ended.

QFG2 original was the best in the series for me. Finished it about 5 times I think. Played through the entire series twice. Classic games - far superior to the mediocre puzzles in the KQ games.

Only Bioware's stuff isn't nearly as funny (nor is it supposed to be).

A current fashion in gaming indeed seems to be the total absence of humour.
Maybe it's part of the current "dark & gritty" fashion ?

Games with humour - I fear - aren't considered "mature", and EVERYONE seems to want to play "mature" games nowadays ...

A current fashion in gaming indeed seems to be the total absence of humour.

That´s not true, at least the "total absence" quantifier.
Majority of cRPGs released in 2010 I´ve played contained a lot of humour and Dragon Knight Saga was downward chock-full of it.
Even such a supposedly dark&gritty game like The Witcher had quite a lot of humorous moments and I´m pretty sure The Witcher 2 won´t be any different in this regard.

Well, yes, okay, but there are other genres as well, and I didn't explicitely say "a current fashion in RPGs" ...

I couldn't imagine humour in WWII shooter games - it would just be inappropriate (spelling ?) - from a German point of view.

You might be right… about the current trend in games being more serious. It's not that there's a total absence of humour, but they just seem to take themselves very, very seriously.

The QFG games were always more off-the-wall than most, perhaps, but even with the old Bard's Tales, you'd get little wisecracks now and again (names of the monsters (It's my Bud)). QFG was very much a Marx Brothers production… slapstick at its finest. :) There've never been many games that chose to go that route.

As for why I felt QFG3 was a little mediocre comparatively speaking… It wasn't the African setting. Rather, it was that everything seemed too heavily scripted. Once you triggered something, it just kept cascading, I found. The game itself forced the issue too much, sometimes: you start exploring the wilderness and you're called back for the council meeting. You enter a certain world map area and you have no choice but to red-line-of-dots your way to the Simbani Village, or the Monkey Village, or the Lost city… Sometimes I felt the game wanted to play itself.

Much the same way I feel about current Bioware games, in fact. Probably why I feel they're sub-par as well. Personal preference, I suppose: I just don't like being herded to that degree.

Edit: I suppose I should mention that I still enjoyed QFG3 immensely. Finished it with all of the core classes (fighter, mage, thief, paladin), and even a couple of others (all-in-one Hero, and the Fighter-turned-Paladin). Is just that the QFGs are still some of my all-time favourites.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom