Torment: Tides of Numenera - A New Look

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
InXile entertainment has more information in the latest kickstarter update about the new look for the Torment: Tides of Numenera website I posted about yesterday.

Updated our Journal (32): A New Look

TL;DR: website re-launched – please confirm your pledge and any add-ons, Endless Battle lore, ask Torment developers.

Thomas here! As Wasteland 2 is getting close to release and Torment: Tides of Numenera closer to full-scale production, we're excited to announce the official relaunch of the Torment website and backer system with an overhauled functionality. The new site is largely the work of Jason Dora, one of the Torment backers, who answered our call for a web developer in Update 29, and has since joined inXile full time.

Torment's New Website

The key functionality of the new site that will interest you is that you can now declare your add-ons. In fact, if you intended for Wasteland 2 to be among your add-ons, then just login and tell us when you're ready to get your Wasteland 2 key. Wasteland 2’s commercial launch is Friday, September 19. You can specify Wasteland 2 add-ons now by visiting the reward page and adding Wasteland 2 to your selected rewards. Keys will be made available before release.

More generally, the new backer system means you will now be able to manage your pledge in great detail. We have changed our system into one that tracks your contributions as inXile Points (XP or just Points). The more Points you have, the higher your Level within our system; the higher your Level, the more possible Rewards are available that you can buy with Points. As an existing backer, you will start with 100 Points for every $1 you donated, with your reward choice matched to the one closest to your total pledge. That is, each $.01 USD = 1 Point.

This may sound a little daunting at first but it does not impact the value or rewards of your pledge in any way. You will get the rewards that you pledged for during the Kickstarter campaign; the value of your pledge is unchanged.
More information.

It's looks just has weird has Planescape did, I guess there is that.

Yes it looks pretty cool...

The movement animation is all wrong though. It appears as if the characters are moving twice as fast as their legs are carrying them. Rather distracting, actually.

Glad I went in for a collectors edition.

I really like what I see, particularly the PS:T vibe.

The walking animation needs to be reworked though.

Been watching "Breaking Bad" lately. Is that Gus Fring I hear as narrator?

OMFG. I've got butterflies in my stomach. This is looking absolutely great to me.

Yes it looks pretty cool…

The movement animation is all wrong though. It appears as if the characters are moving twice as fast as their legs are carrying them. Rather distracting, actually.

Indeed, something is a bit.. off. I can't put my finger on it. It's as if they're walking on ice or floating or something.

Although it's practically the first thing an animator learns, walk cycles aren't simple and easy to implement.

Although it's practically the first thing an animator learns, walk cycles aren't simple and easy to implement.

Wouldn't the walking speed be crazy slow if it had to look completely natural? Or the characters look like they move in fast forward mode of they keep walking speed as it is?

I think it looks alright, but then again I don't have an eye for these things.

Last edited:
Indeed, something is a bit.. off. I can't put my finger on it. It's as if they're walking on ice or floating or something.

During their early preview, D:OS animation looked a off bit that way as if the two characters were floating/gliding across the floor. They look to have it fixed now though. Just wish they could skip the long journeys across already mapped terrain.

You can definately see that they worked in cooperation with Obsidian. The game looks very similar to Pillars of Eternity, in the way that Planescape:Torment looked similar to Baldur's Gate. It also looks much more like the original Planescape than I thought it would.

Wouldn't the walking speed be crazy slow if it had to look completely natural? Or the characters look like they move in fast forward mode of they keep walking speed as it is?

I think it looks alright, but then again I don't have an street for these things.

Well, I don't know any game where the character is actually walking... in most they are "run-walking" probably because if they were always running it might look even more stupid... but to walk everywhere would just be too slow.

Looks great. I like to uncover secrets of original and bizarre worlds. So for me this is like invitation from good friend. :)

And the end reminds me of recent news that some people hate to read:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25655

Maybe they noticed this news too and make funny conclusion in their video. "83000 fans of Torment disagree" :lol:

Very nice GUI! Lot better than poor Pillars'. Also Numenera is turn-based so thats a huge plus.

Visuals ingame are as awesome as the new GUI. I say this will be a LOT better game than poor PoE.

Very nice GUI! Lot better than poor Pillars'. Also Numenera is turn-based so thats a huge plus.

Visuals ingame are as awesome as the new GUI. I say this will be a LOT better game than poor PoE.

Sure looks like it. But I'm not anticipating that one any less.

You can definately see that they worked in cooperation with Obsidian. The game looks very similar to Pillars of Eternity, in the way that Planescape:Torment looked similar to Baldur's Gate. It also looks much more like the original Planescape than I thought it would.

Yeah, first thing I thought was "It's amazing, that it looks completely different than wasteland though its from the same company". And the "polish" of the graphics reminded me of the stuff I saw from Pillars. Take a look at Wastelands Character Customization (and picture feature) and you know what I mean. ^^

I am glad I backed it!

Nice gui? Did you guys happen to overlook that HALF THE SCREEN is occupied when speaking to someone? That's pretty extreme.

That said, I didn't notice a big issue with animations.

Back
Top Bottom