Today is ...

… the day pibbur comes to Tromsø in the northern part of Norway. Because the group of hospitals where he's working are planning to replace their 4 different major pacsesss (Picture Archive and Communication System = digital storage of radiology images) and a whole lot of minor onesss, with one pacs to rule them all. It's a huuuge and complicated task. And they've done it in Tromsø, although on a smaller scale.

It's also the day when

12BC emperor Augustus, nee Octavian, got another job as high priest in Rome. Observe that said Augustus reached the age of 76 years, quite a feat for a roman emperor.

1454 Preussian confederation pledges allegiance to Casimir ver. 4.0 of Poland, in order to make him pledge allegiance to them in order to pwn a few teutonic knights aka Ordo domus Sanctæ Mariæ Theutonicorum Hierosolymitanorum.

1521 Ferdinand comes to Guam

1788 First fleet comes to Norfolk Island. Unlike pibbur whose purpose of coming to Tromsø is to learn about merging pacsess, they wanted to create a convict settlement. One would think there would still be plenty of space in Australia for that purpose, but who am I to know? Oz may have been filled to the rim with convicts and kangaroos. And wabbits. And those funny looking Eucalyptus eaters. Not to mention all the snakes and spiders. Crocs?

1869 The periodic table

1899 Aspirin

1912 THE DANGEROUSLY DELICIOUS OREO COOKIE!

1964 King Constantine ver 2.0 of Greece who, despite being called king of Greece, actually is no longer king of Greece, becomes king of Greece. Sort of.

1983 First match in the United States Football League, which of course is not a football league, but a "football" league. Here's John Cleese.

Pibbur who doesn't feel particularly teutonic, but who supposes Alrik does. And Jaz. And some others.

Last edited:
Thanks for including the marvelous John Cleese.

… is a day pibbur stays at home, and as such nothing to write home about. But other things happened, such as:

235 Maximum Trash .. Eh Maximinus (it's not as strange as it sounds) Trax aka Gaius Julius Verus Maximinus Augustus starts his 3 year emperor career. It may seem short, but compared to other roman emperors, for instance those ascending during the year of 6 emperors, it's almost a lifetime. He died of natural causes (assasination) in 238.

1618 In London, Sir Walter Raleigh (founder of the bicycle company), was released from the dark tower. He died of natural causes (beheading) 2years later. Apparently Spain was pissed, something to do with him attacking and possibly killing spanish interests in Venezuela. The beheaded head was donated to his wife, who kept it in a bag for 29 years.

1853 The rise of GOP.

1916 The rise of general relativity.

1923 The rise of Pibbur Picazzo in the US.

1942 Down under, but virtually in the Philippines, General MacArthur gave his farewell speech, for all practical purposes saying: I'll be back!"

1964 The European Space Agency wannabe goes to Space on the 6th of july.

1990 Ferdinand Marcos's widow, Imelda Marcos, goes on trial for bribery, embezzlement, and racketeering. And for buying shoes.

Pibbur who just learned that tweed is made from urine purchased in Newcastle.

the day pibbur went to London. With his long time friend Axel. We'll be staying in London for the weekend. It took some time getting through Heathrow. First we had to stay completely still in air for 15 minutes, before the plane was allowed ground entry. Then we had tpo wait another 15 minutes before we were allowed ground entry, partly because the first set of stairs given to us didn't work. Then there was the bus going all the way from somewhere at heathrow to terminal 5 where our luggage was supposed to meet us. Which it did. Which was good since the power supply of my laptop was in said brightly colored piece of luggage. Come to think of it, I have 3 computers with me: my laptop for work, my laptop for doing what I do on my laptop. And the iPad. I'm a bit worried about whether I ought to be worried because of this. But honestly, there wasn't any space left for my stationary PC.

Its's also the day when

1970: Sir Paul decided tyoleave the Beatles and went to sleep.

0428: Nestorius became patriarch of Constantinople, serving for more than 3 years. Faar longer than your average roman emperor.

0837: Close encounter with the comet (the one owned by Halley). For some reason I've always thought it was named after Hailey, so who is this Halley suddenly popping up?

0879: Louis version 3 joins forces with Carloman II (brother) as kings of France. They were grandsons of Charles the bald, And collaborated with a cousin called Charles the Fat (probably not by those standing close to him). BTW. I seem to remember that the german chancellor Adenauer was called "Der Alte" and Ludwig Erhard got the nickname "Der Dicke".

0880-2012: Lots of things pibbur doesn't want to write about because he's tired and wants to go tom bed.

pibbur who is tired and wants to go tom bed.

First we had to stay completely still in air for 15 minutes, before the plane was allowed ground entry.
Ummm, generally if a plane tries to be completely still in the air for any length of time, that leads to decidedly immediate ground entry with unacceptable deceleration rates at the end. ;)

You may be right. It was dark and cloudy, so I had no visual clues. And since I had noise cancelling earware, I didn't pay much attention to engine noise (or lack thereof) either.

pibbur who did not suffer unacceptable decelerations while travelling to London.

… is pibbur's first day in Atlanta@Georgia@US

Technically one might argue that he arrived in Atlanta yesterday (when he left home for Heathrow and onward). But, here's the thing, he arrived at the hotel at 0300 AM. The locals insist that it was 0900 PM, but pibbur isn't fooled that easily. This day was spent shopping at an outlet store near the city with his two female colleagues who of course went berserk. Pibbur bought a poster describing what was allowed and what wasn't in a man's den. And some other things.

Pretty uneventful, but on this very day in history lots of things happened. To name a few:

1215 – Rebel barons renounce their allegiance to King John of England — part of a chain of events leading to the signing of the Magna Carta, who later were to release 36 albums, compilations and live performances included. This John was the same John who usurped the throne while king Richard spent his time, partly involuntarily, abroad. Which led to - according to Mel Brooks - toilets in England being called Johns.

1494 CC visits Jamaica.

1821: Napoleon ver 1.0 bakes his last cake.

1835 – In Belgium, the first railway in continental Europe opens between Brussels and Mechelen. Which makes pubbur wonder why he, when back in 2004, at that specific town, while attending an advanced training course for the Agfa PACS, didn't go by train each day. In stead of sitting in a cab with a mad driver who was speeding at 130 kph, no more than 5 meters behind the car in front of him, and at the same time perusing a stack of papers looking for phone numbers.

1866 – Memorial Day first celebrated in United States at Waterloo. No doubt related to the events of '21.

1904 – Pitching against the Philadelphia Athletics at the Huntington Avenue Grounds, Cy Young of the Boston Americans throws the first perfect game. It's not cricket, but still basically incomprehensible.

1905 - first use of fingerprints in a murder case. And the beginning of immense fortunes for glove vendors.

1945 - Exit Germany in Denmark.

1961 - The Shepard goes to space. Sort of.

1950 – Bhumibol Adulyadej, Rama IX among friends, crowns himself king of Thailand. Unlike your average roman emperor, 63 years later he's still in business.

1973 – The Secretariat, which actually is a horse (where do they get these names from) wins the 1973 Kentucky Derby.

pibbur who during his latest 8 months has been to the US 4 times. Additionally, during his 57.4 years of being human he has been to the US 4 times.

Yes, but one key stat is still missing; your visits to Australia!! :)

Yes, but one key stat is still missing; your visits to Australia!! :)
I have threatened to take the wife to New Zealand and/or Australia to celebrate me reaching lvl 60 next year.

Pibbur

Yeah, and that's just the people from the Watch who live here!! :)

It is on our visit list as well. Even if I am a bit worried of the venomous things!

GG who is woundering how Pibbur can be level 60 next year… is he cheating?

Because according to an earlier post he is 57.4 levels now.. and to gain 2.6 levels in a year is very impressive… or perhaps the first 2.6 levels was as elf or alien…. I've heard of multi-classing but not multi-racing an interesting ability to be sure.

Last edited:
One effect of aging is that one tends to … eh … whatever.

pibbur who realizes he's at level 58.4 now, planning to reach level 59 in upcoming december, then 60 some time next year. And who decides not to hate GG for bringing attention to his (hopefully) momentary lapse of reason.

It's nice to see you youngsters worrying already about your advancing years!! :)

Back
Top Bottom