Original Sin - Kickstarter Launched

Damn them! Couldn't they wait for a couple more days? I already have three kickstarters ending in April - I really don't see how I can justify to my wife yet another $100 charge on my monthly credit card summary! :(

(any suggestions?)

wait - a kickstarter for a game that was already going to be released?

It's a financing platform, you can finance way more thing than finished products. I've seen people finance prototypes, productions run, concept creation, materials, studio fee, etc.

Here Larian is financing making D:OS a better and bigger game by getting money to hire more people to work on it.

I think this is an awesome use of Kickstarter.

Here we have a fantastic development studio who has made that gigantic leap to be a self-publisher. However, it's a thin line between success and failure, and too often compromises need to be made. Usually, money requirements mean that time deadlines are absolute, and what usually suffers is the game as it's rushed out the door.

Larian has plenty of examples of this in its own catalog. Divine Divinity was a great game, but the last part of the game was almost completely barren, with nothing to do, and quite boring. By their own admission, they ran out of time and resources to flesh this last part out. Their last major release, Divinity II, had a very lukewarm reception in the market initially due to graphics glitches, animation issues, combat issues, etc, and it was only when they released the expansion and many improvements in Dragon Knight Saga did they really have a truly fun, immersive 3D action RPG.

From the sounds of it, it sounds like Larian has met all their goals in terms of gameplay systems they want to create in D:OS, but they see how much time and money they have left, and they apparently see themselves running up against these inevitable game compromises once again before the clock runs out.

I'm thrilled that they can turn to crowd-funding to avoid such compromises, and turn to the fans to push a struggling-to-make-it independent studio over the hump to create a truly complete, compelling RPG experience that has the potential to be an instant classic on day 1.

No more waiting for the "Enhanced Edition" 1 year later for all those compromises to be wiped out. Backing this was a no-brainer for me...

I backed it to the hilt for a physical copy. I liked D II, finished the first half and got most of the way through the second half. D I was awesome, almost completed it twice if one of the showstopper bugs hadn't hit me.

Agree with Fantasm: In fact I'd say expanding the scope and polishing a game that's already been funded is a better use of Kickstarter, from a backers point of view, than asking us to have faith that a studio is going to make a game from scratch, when they have little to show.

I have more confidence that Larian will make a good game that they can release some time not too far away from it's projected release date than I have in say Shroud of the Avatar (although I backed that too at a low level). That I think constitutes a greater risk from a backers point of view. Not to mention that the end of 2014 is a long way off…

Damn, Belgian studio, and I still have to pay extra for shipping outside the U.S. if I want a box copy. That sucks.
I guess I'll go for the Dragon Commander combo, then. Really looking forward to both games, so if preorder-Kickstarting them helps them more fully reach their design goals, I am happy to do so.

Damn, Belgian studio, and I still have to pay extra for shipping outside the U.S. if I want a box copy. That sucks.
I guess I'll go for the Dragon Commander combo, then. Really looking forward to both games, so if preorder-Kickstarting them helps them more fully reach their design goals, I am happy to do so.

Apparently that's a problem with Kickstarter rather than Larian in that KS have no provision for doing shipping any other way. Larian had to set up a US subsidiary just to do the Kickstarter.

P.S. They may also have mentioned some way around this, but I wasn't attending too closely, since I went for a digital tier.

Not exactly bad start but I expected much better.They are studio with good reputation
that has both games that belong to RPG classics and more recent quality work +very positive previews for both Original sin and Dragon commander.

Not exactly bad start but I expected much better.They are studio with good reputation
that has both games that belong to RPG classics and more recent quality work +very positive previews for both Original sin and Dragon commander.

Look on the bright side. If the rate of donors stays steady they will make there goal and probably a little extra. Not every project will get one million on it's first day.

Apparently that's a problem with Kickstarter rather than Larian in that KS have no provision for doing shipping any other way. Larian had to set up a US subsidiary just to do the Kickstarter.

P.S. They may also have mentioned some way around this, but I wasn't attending too closely, since I went for a digital tier.

That doesn't make sense, shipping is not handled by KS.

That doesn't make sense, shipping is not handled by KS.

Kickstarter doesn't allow you to mention shipping cost beside "outside the US". Whoever was using the Larian account on Kickstarter explained it that way (I'm not sure if it was Swen). They are probably going to do an update about it, because it should cost as much to ship from Belgium to people in Belgium...

Look on the bright side. If the rate of donors stays steady they will make there goal and probably a little extra. Not every project will get one million on it's first day.

I wasn't expecting for them to get funds like obsidian/in-exile but less reliable people with nothing but concept got lot more.When I saw campaign started I was hoping they could get 1m at the end but, as you said, at this rate they will "only" reach goal and then little extra.

I backed it to the hilt for a physical copy. I liked D II, finished the first half and got most of the way through the second half. D I was awesome, almost completed it twice if one of the showstopper bugs hadn't hit me.

Make sure to play the Div 2 expansion. It's included in DKS.

I wasn't expecting for them to get funds like obsidian/in-exile but less reliable people with nothing but concept got lot more.When I saw campaign started I was hoping they could get 1m at the end but, as you said, at this rate they will "only" reach goal and then little extra.

They had a slow first day as they didn't have any publicity out at that time. Hopefully, though as the publicity kicks in more people will find the Kickstarter, and the funding curve won't diminish as quickly as if they'd had a publicity blast on day one. And, of course, if they did maintain this rate they'd be well overfunded, but likely we'll get the usual U shape on number of pledgers per day. Would like to see them at least double the goal and that's not out of the question as things are going.

i'm a fan already, but how successful are the kickstarter projects-artistically? do they really fulfill the consumers wishes? or do they build a game to what they think is best?

from what i've seen on the new giana sisters it is a great success, does anyone knows of a more complex genre that had success like this?

i'm a fan already, but how successful are the kickstarter projects-artistically? do they really fulfill the consumers wishes? or do they build a game to what they think is best?

from what i've seen on the new giana sisters it is a great success, does anyone knows of a more complex genre that had success like this?

Sven said he made it so that he'd have something to play together with his girl friend and hoped that others might like it too. Seems like as good a way as any of deciding on your next game.

I'm not really sure what you mean. If you mean do they only listen to their backers and ignore what they want?

I don't think so.

See shadowrun and dead state for instance, they took info but they are following what they want.

Backed for $40! I can't wait, it sounds great!

Back
Top Bottom