Games wirh a good ( great ) story

If you have a PS3, I so very totally and unquestionably recommend The Last of Us.

You didn't see those two praised for story because everyone was comparing only their graphics and irrelevant content with predecessors/successors or the competition.

DX:HR lost GOTY title on most sites because the competition (TW2 and Skyrim) had betterlooking visuals. Oh and btw, TW2 has an awsome story, so buy asap. Skyrim story and substories are unbelievably bad. There is no way I'd ever recommend buying that game for sakes of the story.

FO:NV story and substories awsomeness faded under community praising FO3 for huge caves that are not taken as caves but underground facilities because Bethesda applied another texture(s). But once you dive into FO:NV story, you will never want to hear childish fairytale from FO3. Unless you're one of those who wants to grind on endless respawns in too big areas in a game that has a quest or two appearing every 20 hours. And I bet you're not.

But I didn't mention just those two. I've mentioned Stick of Truth too. Make sure you play it. You won't find a story like that anywhere.
I've also mentioned Mars, grab it. The story is not epic as it's a short game, but it's written so good I said back then I'm buying the sequel most definetly just because I want to see in what direction the story will evolve.

Didn't mention adventures because there are too many with good stories. If you will get yourself an adventure or a few, you don't really need a recommentation as most proper adventures have a good story. HOG adventures have crap or no story at all. Don't buy those, they feel like a phone cow clickers and I can't understand why that facebook idiocy is placed under adventures/puzzles genre.

EA games…
One day EA will have to cut the crap. Simcity is just a start. So you will eventually play those games.
I dunno what happened with their script writers. DA2 and ME3 writing, while not a complete disaster, is highly inferior to stories predecessor games had. Hopefully it'll change.

Last edited:
You didn't see those two praised for story because everyone was comparing only their graphics and irrelevant content with predecessors/successors or the competition.

Totally agree with everything you said. In particular the stories in Fallout: NV are really well done and thought of.

TLJ and Dreamfall are often mentioned as great adventures as well. I have partially played the first one (TLJ), not through it, though. It basically requires Win98.

I pretty much agree with everything Joxer has said in this thread. I would also like to add Planescape:Torment to the list but I sure hope you've played that already. Otherwise the latest games I played with good or great stories are South Park TSOT (only if you're a South Park fan though, you''ll have to be able to stomach some pretty silly and/or disgusting humour although the underlying story is brilliant) and Shadowrun : Dragonfall wasn't half bad either.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

If you played it in past, try it with the latest Unofficial Patch now.

If you didn't play it ever, then you should definitely do so. It has a very deep story and as well as quite non-linear on how to deal with situations. Also your starting vampire clan will change your gaming and the story significantly.

Age of Decadence

It is still an Early Access title, but it is one of the most solid stories and RPGs I have ever stumbled upon. The story is deep and changes due to your decisions pretty much and it has a very engaging/hardcore combat system. As a small example, you can start with one of the eight backgrounds and that will impact the dialogues very much and your future opportunities, but that does not constrain you on a singular path. It has a free demo which contains the whole 1st chapter of the game. Roll a few different characters and you'll see the perception differs right from the start.

I have to give a Nod to Of Orcs and Men. The combat won't be for everyone and it's fairly short, but I absolutely loved the story and it can be found on sale for dirt cheap.

I really enjoyed the story and visuals in Enslaved: Odyssey To The The West

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/enslaved-odyssey-to-the-west

The controls are a bit funky at times but this is one of those games that totally surprised me with how much I enjoyed it.

I played it on the Xbox 360 but it appears to be available on PC also.

DX:HR I also enjoyed much more than I expected. Great story.

I have to give a Nod to Of Orcs and Men. The combat won't be for everyone and it's fairly short, but I absolutely loved the story and it can be found on sale for dirt cheap.

Maybe I should have a look at this game again. At the time I think I just read one or two reviews with one being the RPGFan review which listed uninspired story as a con.

Maybe I should have a look at this game again. At the time I think I just read one or two reviews with one being the RPGFan review which listed uninspired story as a con.

I personally don't agree with that assessment at all. Here's the first paragraph of my review on Steam:

Purely from a writing standpoint, this is one of the most overlooked gems in the RPG genre. If you love story driven RPGs, I highly suggest considering this game. Tons of games talk about "Mature Themes" but this one really hits that nail on the head, and not just from the adult language (which there's a lot of). It covers racism, slavery, political ambition, violence, and betrayal. I felt both of the main characters were well written and it was interesting to see how their interactions with each other evolved as the story progressed.

Anyone have Of Orcs and Men on Xbox? Now I want to play it and no one has it for a decent price. I just need to borrow it for a week or two. :p

Perhaps not the best story, but I was just thinking about Aquaria the past few days and this thread is a great excuse to mention it.

It is one of the few memorable experiences I have with modern games. The story might be not that special but the way it is told is quite engaging, more passive through exploration (similar to the Demon souls games). Of course great art, music and gameplay helps. Seeing the "Veil" region for the first time is just beautiful.

I so long ago played the demo of Aquaria and instantly fell in love with this game. I had waited and waited and waited for a disc version of it, but that never happened. So I lost interest.
And that was before the rise of Steam.

That's no excuse ;) I got it from what I think was the first humble bundle.

A recent game that reminded me of it is child of light. Haven't played it but it looks very nice

I too have to join in on the kudos to Orcs and Men. Game play was at best meh, although it has implemented the best Ai co-op IMO. But the story was great. I really did feel like I was an Orc in that game. I wanted no bow or no gun I just wanted to smash stuff and people. And this is coming from a guy whose first preference in any RPG is usually a bow. It also tells a fascinating story about the history of the rivalry between Orcs, men, dwarves and elves. With an ending that is worth playing for.

Joxer is right about a lot of adventure games having great stories. They constituted the second most games in my games inventory.

Three Adventure games with great stories and relatively new.

1) Perry Rhodan "The Immortals of Terra"
Perry is a astronaut that ran into some trouble during a 60s moon mission and became immortal. It's apparently very popular pulp fiction in Germany that may even rival Doctor Who. This story takes place a couple hundred years in our future. The game play is horrible (I needed a walkthrough for much of the game) but the story and visuals were fantastic and kept me going.

2) J.U.L.I.A.
A low low budget "Mission Critical" with C&C. Interesting endings.

3) Culpa Innata
Complex adventure game taking place in future earth utopia with one world government. Protagonist tries to solve a murder that may challenge everything she had previously believed.

Perry Rhodan is an awsome game and I just can't believe Deep Silver stopped at just one title. Too bad it wasn't made as RPG, if it was, it'd kick arse.

"Too the moon" has a great story. Took me a minute to digest the ending but i love it.

Back
Top Bottom