StarCrawlers - Beta Key Contest

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Well welcome back to another contest on RPGWatch. This time thanks to Elena Consacro of Juggernaut Games you will be able to win a key for the beta version of StarCrawlers.

All you have to do is tell me what you like about the game in the comment section, and I will pick the two best answers to win on Friday March, 27th.

So as you see its very simple, and straight forward so good luck everyone.
smiley-smile.gif

More information.

Last edited:
Party-based sci fi RPG with a touch of Might and Magic? Sounds good to me! Gotta say that I'm not 100% sure about the procedural elements of this one, but hopefully the story missions will gel it all together nicely :)

The setting looks interesting, and having just played a number of sci fi adventures (J.U.L.I.A etc), is exactly what I'm looking for at the moment.

There are 3 things I most like about the game:

1) The Wizardry-inspired party formation with Sci-Fi touch;

2) Dungeon-crawling, yes !!! Who doesn't like it ?

3) The spacepunk setting. It is a thing we don't see every day in RPGs !!!

:)

You know, I was surprised to like the looks of this. It kinda felt like a System Shock 2/Wizardry mix, which isn't a bad thing. While I'm not interested in the beta key, the game is now on my radar...

I like the combo of the futuristic setting with the grid-based movement a la Grimrock/Dungeon Master/older Might and Magic games (and Legacy). The classes also sound like they have some interesting mechanics and synergies.

I like it better when you randomly choose a winner rather than forcing a competition so I'm going to sit this one out. Still looking forward to StarCrawlers though!

You know, I was surprised to like the looks of this. It kinda felt like a System Shock 2/Wizardry mix, which isn't a bad thing. While I'm not interested in the beta key, the game is now on my radar…

My thoughts exactly. I have not followed this game at all until recently, but the more I see the more interested I am.

I live for dungeon crawlers, and putting a sci-fi spin on one just makes it even more appealing to me. System Shock, Wizardry, Might and Magic, as well as Buck Rogers all come to mind when I think of this genre, and I'd love to try a new one.

its funny, the response for mixing genre's is none too popular these days. its lucky this is a Wizardry crowd. Back in the day it was considered wildly original.

I have to say the choice to do episodic shows how tough and expensive it is to make a game. I hope there isn't a backlash because of it. I don't mind episodic if there's sufficient content in each one. Typically though, I wait for responses and like to get it when its bundled complete.

The game looks nice, a less boring version of L. Grimrock?

Let's see….
Pros:
-is a dungeon crawler
-Wizardry like
-good setting
-the music (i think is made by the guy who made the music for FLT which is great)

Cons:
episodic (as Lucky Day said this is a con only if there is not sufficient content in each episode)

I like the old school viba/style of the game, I like the futuristic setting, I like the randomized content since I like replay value, and the game looks good visually.

- I like the setting and the name! - It's unusual and fresh!

- I like that I am not the world savior for once! - I am a cunning StarCrawler with a single goal: career and money, through mayhem, politics or… espionage! :)

- I like the original music and quality sound effects. The Audio in StarCrawlers has its own character and charm!

- I like the endless dungeon exploration, filled with strategic battles and my personal decision-driven story to unfold!

Last edited:
Why I like StarCrawlers

I love how innovative and promising the StarCrawlers experience looks.

There are so many aspects it gets right in my point of view. First, I can’t recall, at least in recent memory, of a game combining first person dungeon crawling with a sci-fi theme.

Influences that come to mind are wizardry, might and magic, system shock and a little bit of cyberpunk to make the mix even more interesting. Needless to say, the strategic turn based combat only makes me even more enthusiastic about the game.

Now I’ve always loved dungeon crawlers and from Asimov to Frank Herbert, I’ve read it all as far as sci-fi is concerned. The underlying conspiracy theme involving megacorps (Shadowrun vibes) makes it more intriguing. One thing that makes me extremely excited about the plot is that the team we create is not about heroes or good guys; this alone breaks some old tropes of the RPG genre. These are individuals with extremely shady intentions (and the classes portray that very well). It’s about who pays the most, morals be damned! And you know what? That’s the kind of variety we need nowadays.
These are examples of some very right chords this game struck within me.

Speaking of chords, the game soundtrack is being made by Ben Prunty, the composer and producer of the excellent Faster Than Light Original Soundtrack. That alone makes the aural experience that much more engaging. I expect the atmosphere of the game to be incredibly engrossing.

To me, this is a novel experience which is shaping up to be a very nice mix of interesting themes, concepts and gameplay systems. I can only hope the implementation is smooth (looking at you, procedural generation) and works because the pitch really got me hooked.

Last edited:
What I like:
- cool heroes who can make efficient party
- cute robots which can surprisingly kick your ass in combat mode!
- unexpected events and betrayals that will reassure you this is corporations' space
- dungeon puzzles that will remind you of your Dungeon Master experience
- Ben Prunty's soundtrack that will inspire you to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new dungeons and new missions!

BTW: soundtrack preview, some nice tunes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeBZBJ_sOls

Well it's Friday so here is the promised update about the winners. So Drum rool everyone and the two winners are Carnifex & arthurelo.

I will be sending the Beta key to you both in a new PM. Still you both should be be playing Pillars of Eternity right now instead. So enjoy the game guys.^^

Thank you very much couch! I'm currently playing pillars of eternity but I'll spare some time to give star crawlers some love. Cheers and congrats Carnifex!

Back
Top Bottom