Dark Souls II - 1.2 Million Units Sold

Meh doesn't matter to me anyway JonNik as I'm not fan of their games. They don't appeal to me and they never will. I just post news about the games for others.

I think I'll go play Mass Effect & Dragon Age as they give me more enjoyment.:evilgrin:

And with that I'm gone from this thread before the lynch mob gets me.:rotfl::whip:

Why would the lynch mob go for you? Everyone is entitled to enjoy the games they like. :)

I only have a problem with the people constantly trying to change every game into one they like, just because they feel left out when they can't get into to every game there is out there (and messing up one of the last Arpgs I truly enjoy, unless PB delivers, in the process).

P.S
I guess opening the game options and tweaking the controls to your satisfaction is too much of a demand these days. So lets call a game that has been running rock solid at 60 FPS, completely bug and glitch free and looking great to boot for the last 65 hours(Some moding and tweaking notwithstanding) a bad port.

Funny considering the state of PC games like i.e Fallout NV(That I love but don't make excuses for their technical state) and their problematic engines ;)

Bad port or good port, mouse and keyboard controls need to be the focus on pretty much any PC game.

Even if you insist on a console-centric interface - you NEED to be able to interact comfortably with M+K. I'm saying this as a guy who has no issue playing most games with a gamepad. It's just not ok to ignore the default control device for the platform you're porting to.

Considering the utterly sloppy state of the DS1 port, I can't exactly blame people for staying away from this one.

In fact, I think people are being too forgiving based on their love of the formula.

That's not necessarily you, JonNik, as you're one of the most objective and reasonable people on this board. You seem able to look past your own agenda - which is, sadly, very rare indeed.

Thanks, but I am sure its only human to succumb to a bit of bias when you love something ;)

That said I try to call them as I see them (and these are just games for ffs). I just can't parse how the controls i.e are bad when I am nearing the end of the game had a blast and maybe finding it a bit of a cakewalk near the end (may be a bit over-leveled due to all the walking rather than warping and revisiting old areas to see if I can open up new options)…

I definitely agree that they should improve and try harder on the PC side of the experience (regardless that this time around the PC version seems overall superior to the console ones ;) )

It is just that despite all my criticism about the step back on the artistic and design aspect of things there are a couple of things I have to give to them for this one:
1) A massively better job an the state of the PC port (but then starting from that low makes the difference more noteworthy ;) )
2) A conscious and ultimately successful, imo, effort to make the game more accessible and easy to get into for newcomers, without completely watering the game down. (And not completely pissing off the fan-base, at least the not that hardcore ones like myself ;) )

Further streamlining and watering down would just push the game dangerously close to the generic Arpg category and sadly make me lose interest :-/

It's a great port of a great game.

The kb+mouse controls are fine with some personalization. That is according to a friend who couldn't stand Dark Souls 1. After pirating the game he went and bought it and has 180 hours played so far. That's the ultimate testament.

I've finished it four times, and I can only say that for a very small amount of games.

However... Daart, as we've covered several times, if you can't be bothered "investing" yourself in games which require any greater ability than Diablo 3 and left_mouse, because you're too tired, or whatever excuse you're fielding this week, this game, as accessible as I find it, may still be a bit too hard for you. :roll:

Try Mass Effect and Dragon Age! I'm sure you'll have a blast in those ones. =)

It's a great port of a great game.

The kb+mouse controls are fine with some personalization. That is according to a friend who couldn't stand Dark Souls 1. After pirating the game he went and bought it and has 180 hours played so far. That's the ultimate testament.

I've finished it four times, and I can only say that for a very small amount of games.

However… Daart, as we've covered several times, if you can't be bothered "investing" yourself in games which require any greater ability than Diablo 3 and left_mouse, because you're too tired, or whatever excuse you're fielding this week, this game, as accessible as I find it, may still be a bit too hard for you. :roll:

Try Mass Effect and Dragon Age! I'm sure you'll have a blast in those ones. =)

Getting a rise out of you again without even trying, how refreshing ;)

Yes, yes you love the game - and you have my permission to continue enjoying it.

Getting a rise out of you again without even trying, how refreshing ;)

Yes, yes you love the game - and you have my permission to continue enjoying it.

Well, that's why you're here trying, isn't it?

Sure, I'll take the bait.

Or were you here offering your opinion on a game you haven't played for some other reason?

JDR13 said:
You've finished Dark Souls II four times already?

Yup. Once on console, which prepared me for PC. Then a slow playthrough once, but NG+ and NG++ I pretty much speedran the game cos I know it backwards. I think I did NG++ in 3 hours and that's with some bonfires already raised to NG+5 from asthetics in normal.

Going off steams achievements only 0.2% of players are on my level. =)

Thanks, but I am sure its only human to succumb to a bit of bias when you love something ;)

I have no problem with bias - it's the lack of rational support for arguments that I find disturbingly common :)

You, unlike SirJames - are capable of seeing the flaws and pointing them out - without being afraid that will somehow lessen the fun you're having.

You don't have to tell yourself that you're a superior gamer because you like different things for different reasons.

A lot of people struggle with negative emotions when faced with differing opinions. It's a sign of weakness and insecurity if you can't accept such things without putting them down somehow.

Well, in my opinion - that is.

That said I try to call them as I see them (and these are just games for ffs). I just can't parse how the controls i.e are bad when I am nearing the end of the game had a blast and maybe finding it a bit of a cakewalk near the end (may be a bit over-leveled due to all the walking rather than warping and revisiting old areas to see if I can open up new options)…

Well, as I haven't bothered to even pirate DS2 - I wouldn't know. All I know is that DS1 was an absurdly bad port - and people are bitching about controls in DS2.

It doesn't take more than that for me to sympathise with people staying away from the PC version.

That said, if I enjoyed these games - I'd buy it and deal with the controls. I haven't been on a crusade for gamer-justice for many years :)

2) A conscious and ultimately successful, imo, effort to make the game more accessible and easy to get into for newcomers, without completely watering the game down. (And not completely pissing off the fan-base, at least the not that hardcore ones like myself ;) )

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it so much. It's also doing well in reviews - so there's hope they won't water it down further.

But with this industry, you should never feel safe.

Further streamlining and watering down would just push the game dangerously close to the generic Arpg category and sadly make me lose interest :-/

Well, if the trial and error adaption is the best part of the game to you, then I guess so.

I thought it was the atmosphere and exploration you loved the most? I can't see them watering those aspects down much.

But again, never feel safe :)

Or were you here offering your opinion on a game you haven't played for some other reason?

Once you calm down and openly accept that not everyone loves what you love, we can talk about why I'm here.

Going off steams achievements only 0.2% of players are on my level.

Sounds pretty accurate to me ;)

But with this industry, you should never feel safe.

Never do. Actually I just start by assuming the worst, more or less, yet still try to be cautiously optimistic when I can find it in me ;)

Well, if the trial and error adaption is the best part of the game to you, then I guess so.

I thought it was the atmosphere and exploration you loved the most? I can't see them watering those aspects down much.

#2 is already a bit less impactful and carries less of that sense of "gravitas" (for a lack of better word) and the sense of loneliness and despair of number one. So I guess in this aspect watering down means a less unique and distinctive game artistically rather than the sort of feeling places like the shrine of Amana or the Dragon Aerie or the Lost Bastille (to namedrop a bit) instills.

I do believe/hope you are right and this aspect will not be drastically impacted (especially if they put Miyazaki back on the helm) but I worry anyways. Its in my nature ;)

My main worry though is that they will mesh the online aspect completely to the main design for the next installments though, and while I understand I am in a very minute antisocial gaming dinosaur minority on this one, that would mean no more Souls games for me :(

Never do. Actually I just start by assuming the worst, more or less, yet still try to be cautiously optimistic when I can find it in me ;)

You have reason to be. I mean, a few years ago - I'd never have have thought a game like this could become so popular.

It's a challenging game with relatively deep mechanics - and it has no "casual" setting.

It could be considered a miracle :)

But some of us predicted a change - where the sheer amount of casual gamers meant that a significant amount of those would HAVE to turn into core gamers over time.

I just didn't expect it this soon.

That said, I also think that because Dark Souls is relatively unique - there's a bit of a "cool" factor to the whole thing. I mean, it's obvious that some people think it's amazing that you can overcome a challenge by practicing and adapting - and that's kinda cool I suppose. I do remember when I was young and had the surplus energy to invest in games that didn't really reward me for my efforts - but those days are long gone.

Note that I do realise a lot of DS players feel rewarded by being allowed to progress.

But since it's so rare these days to have a game that challenges without an easy mode - it's sort of a badge of honor to complete it. Well, to some :)

My main worry though is that they will mesh the online aspect completley to the main design for the next installments though, and while I understand I am in a very minute antisocial gaming dinosaur minority on this one, that would mean no more Souls games for me :(

Hmm, I can definitely see them expand upon the multiplayer integration - but they should be smart enough to realise that a lot of people prefer to play solo most of the time. I'm sure they'll keep catering to those as well.

Well, almost sure ;)

A lot of people struggle with negative emotions when faced with differing opinions. It's a sign of weakness and insecurity if you can't accept such things without putting them down somehow.

Nah, it's not the differing opinion. It's that you believe your own bullshit.

The fact is you suck at games, you got owned in Dark Souls but you wish you could enjoy it like other people do, but instead you have to come back and try to win augments with elite players on RPG message boards.

You're constantly losing track of your own points. One second you're all, "oh, people don't have to like stuff just cos you do" then the next you're all, "It's like a miracle this many people like it because I don't."

And you don't GET Dark Souls. Like, really get it. You heard it was challenging with deep concepts but you haven't experienced it yourself. You say dumb shit like "Dark Souls is basically Diablo" and you'll never take back stupid comments like that and admit you were wrong. And why not? Because you backed down when faced with Dark Souls being too hard so now you have to compensate by not backing down in a message board instead.

Just get good and stop searching for reasons not to like the best RPG series around.

At least you're not taking it all to heart :)

I'm afraid I just don't have it in me to be good - as I'm not man enough.

I hope you can forgive me, SirJames.

Now, go make sure the rest of those 0.2% are put in their place! Go make something out of your life!

I can forgive you, sure. Heck, anyone who had an Amiga is OK in my books.

Yeah, blah, blah, I'm better at games than you so I have no life. Canned response. But it does remind me of my favourite speech in Dark Souls 2.

Have a listen to what Lucatiel says here... I found it quite philosophical.

http://youtu.be/KpK3TbEDgEs?t=35s

I won't click on that one for the spoilers, but can players tell me if there are any memorable characters who have these wistful, pensively reflective dialogue lines like in the first game? (I'm thinking specifically of the Crestfallen Merchant, Rickert of Vinheim…etc.) They certainly added a unique tone to the world and exploration.

Last edited:
I am not clicking either although I may have seen that one I believe.
I am also not 100% confident to give you an answer Pessimeister but I believe they did a decent and pretty close to #1 job on that aspect. Lucatiel is great, Pate is interesting and there is a little mystery going on around a few of them. Even the merchants are fun and interesting overall...

I may have messed things a bit with the order I did things this run (did most of the difficult before the easy areas this time around) and seem to have lost the thread on some of them, Not sure though and still have many little mysteries and doors to unlock before the end... I'll definitely do another run around before the end but I'll not force things a lot. Definitely a good idea to leave stuff for the unavoidable sorc/hexer run sometime during Chrismas I hope ;)
(Although NG+ seems 100% worth it this time around. Just use a couple of ascetics. Loved the nasty surprises :lol: )

My main worry though is that they will mesh the online aspect completely to the main design for the next installments though, and while I understand I am in a very minute antisocial gaming dinosaur minority on this one, that would mean no more Souls games for me :(

Can't you just disconnect from the internet to prevent getting invaded? Or do you mean that the design of the game would evolve in such way that online play is required to finish the game?

Haven't touched DS2 yet -- am about half way through DS1 now, in Anor Londo -- but would you say online play is more of a necessity now (with bosses being harder and such)?

Can't you just disconnect from the internet to prevent getting invaded? Or do you mean that the design of the game would evolve in such way that online play is required to finish the game?

Haven't touched DS2 yet — am about half way through DS1 now, in Anor Londo — but would you say online play is more of a necessity now (with bosses being harder and such)?

The answer to your first question is yes. And I would encourage you to disconnect before entering any place with Belfry in the name, because that is home to a covenant of punks. **

I don't know about evolution, but unless you are 6-th dan dark souls fu or greater, it seems almost everyone needs some help with the bosses.

**On a side note, I was able to gank 10 of them in a row by hiding in the form of an inconspicuous pot until I could backstab them in the Belfry Sol. Most fun I have had in gaming.

I've been invaded only once in 53 hrs. And it was within minutes of discovering the belfry area. I was holding my own against 1 invader but then another showed up and backstabbed me.

As for bosses I haven't need any help. For reference I needed help with 2 in DS1.

If I keep getting invaded in belfry I'll go offline. The invasions are by far the worst part of DS series IMO. I can't for the life of me understand why there isn't a covenant to stop invasions.

I recently saw a poll ( unfortunately can't remember where but it showed less than 5% off people played the game for multiplayer so I'm not sure why they focus on it. Must be a very vocal minority. I believe 37% said they play for the single player experience and don't play more than 1 play through.

Back
Top Bottom