Bethesda Softworks - Next Game Revealed Thursday

It will also have Alpha Protocol footage.

I've actually spoken to Todd Howard... it's going to be TES V. ;)

The title is - The Elder Scrolls V: No Level Scaling.

Yeah, I just want Elder Scrolls with a detailed and balanced stat system with no level scaling. Oh and larger dungeons, I mean huge, exit-3-hours-later dungeons.

Whatever it is, we got a new round of controversy to look forward to ;)

Battlespire 2: This time, it might actually run on current hardware

I actually don't agree with no level scalling since level scalling in a limited form can add a lot to the game like it was done in OOO.

I really hope they keep VATS as an option in the engine but make it much more balanced then it was in Fallout 3. I am getting tired of having a difficult time in these games because of combat being in realtime.

Yeah, I just want Elder Scrolls with a detailed and balanced stat system with no level scaling. Oh and larger dungeons, I mean huge, exit-3-hours-later dungeons.

With puzzles, wordy riddles, and rich background stories for every dungeon!

Instead of having 300 dungeons - just make 30 good ones. I promise, it will be a better use of resources.

I actually don't agree with no level scalling since level scalling in a limited form can add a lot to the game like it was done in OOO.

I really hope they keep VATS as an option in the engine but make it much more balanced then it was in Fallout 3. I am getting tired of having a difficult time in these games because of combat being in realtime.

Level scaling is for the weak. The weak deserve NO MERCY!

With puzzles, wordy riddles, and rich background stories for every dungeon!

Instead of having 300 dungeons - just make 30 good ones. I promise, it will be a better use of resources.

Id like to see real detailed "lively" dungeons. Say like somthing on the scale of the dungeons of ultima underworld. Only a handful of these would be needed. Id rather have a mini-moria or two than hundreds of smugglers nests.

I dont think any game beyond pure dungeon crawler has ever done that though so Im pretty sure it wont happen. If the game is a "surface rpg" the dungeons must be B/C class piperuns. Its like an unwritten rule.

Id like to see real detailed "lively" dungeons. Say like somthing on the scale of the dungeons of ultima underworld. Only a handful of these would be needed. Id rather have a mini-moria or two than hundreds of smugglers nests.

I dont think any game beyond pure dungeon crawler has ever done that though so Im pretty sure it wont happen. If the game is a "surface rpg" the dungeons must be B/C class piperuns. Its like an unwritten rule.

Well, I think you're right - such dungeons are for dungeon crawlers.

But there is no good reason, if you ask me, why they couldn't introduce deep and complex dungeons in TES:V - but of course, nothing like UU which is an entire game.

I simply can't fathom why they would make the EXACT same mistake they made in Morrowind AND Daggerfall. Daggerfall had auto-generated dungeons, true enough, but both Morrowind and Oblivion have hundreds of hand-made dungeons. What's odd, is that these hand-made dungeons FEEL auto-generated, at least in part.

For the love of all that's good and holy, take ADVANTAGE of doing them by hand. Just don't make so many of them as no one needs hundreds of samey dungeons.

Fallout 3, incidentally, was actually much better in this regard - but of course suffered from that world, and as such had limited variety in terms of visual aesthetics.

But there is no good reason, if you ask me, why they couldn't introduce deep and complex dungeons in TES:V - but of course, nothing like UU which is an entire game.
Not whole UU naturally but like few levels. Orc, lizards and dwarwen communities that were on the 1-3 levels were totally amazing. Even one of them would suffice.

Out of the first three I feel that the first game had the best dungeons (well atleast for its time - morrowind had som ok ones too). It had like 8? of them but they were all handmade and unique.

The whole "huge autogenerated world" has always been major part of TES. Hopefully they have seen by now that it doesnt work. The world doesnt have any depth. Bad thing is the series have sold well so they might not change this.

Last edited:
Out of the first three I feel that the first game had the best dungeons. It had like 8? of them but they were all handmade and unique.

Daggerfall had a handful of story-related dungeons, but I don't really remember much about them. I think I gave up before getting into the story in a big way.

But it had countless auto-generated dungeons, which were put together by pre-made "pieces" in a highly primitive and clumsy fashion. It resulted in certain dungeons not even being finishable - at least before the patches. It really was a mess - but ok, the game was absurdly ambitious overall.

"Fallblivion!"- More fighting, less *errpeegee*

If you play the original arena you notice it plays like doom with ligth rpg elements. The series has always been more about fighting than indepth rpg. I dunno where these people come who complain about the lack of rpg because thats not really what the series is about.

Perhaps the game wasnt advertised accurately enough. RPG is too wide as a genre. It has too many divisions.

Daggerfall had a handful of story-related dungeons, but I don't really remember much about them. I think I gave up before getting into the story in a big way.

But it had countless auto-generated dungeons, which were put together by pre-made "pieces" in a highly primitive and clumsy fashion. It resulted in certain dungeons not even being finishable - at least before the patches. It really was a mess - but ok, the game was absurdly ambitious overall.

I thought the daggerfall dungeons were totally insane. Atleast I felt loosing my sanity when spending hours in those mazes. I didnt have the spell so I often wasnt able to find the exit even until after hours of search.

I didnt finish the game until two years ago (with walkthrough of course). It has som hand crafted dungeons but at best they are worse than the ones in arena even.

I thought the daggerfall dungeons were totally insane. Atleast I felt loosing my sanity when spending hours in those mazes. I didnt have the spell so I often wasnt able to find the exit even until after hours of search.

I didnt finish the game until two years ago (with walkthrough of course). It has som hand crafted dungeons but at best they are worse than the ones in arena even.

So many things were wrong with Daggerfall, and I've never gotten why it's so popular. But there were a number of things about it that were great for its time.

The character system was a bit more interesting, because you had more freedom with perks/traits and stuff like that.

But they promised so much and delivered so little of that. I remember dreaming about owning ships and sailing around the world - but all they did was make a tiny "ship area" and all you could do with it was store some loot.

Beth never really made a thoroughly consistent experience - except perhaps for Redguard, which incidentally is probably the least ambitious of their games.

If only they'd hire some decent game designers and writers - and I think the games could be truly great, and not just sell a huge amount of copies.

The whole "huge autogenerated world" has always been major part of TES. Hopefully they have seen by now that it doesnt work. The world doesnt have any depth. Bad thing is the series have sold well so they might not change this.

Amen to your last sentence. I'm pretty sure that they just look at their sales figures and conclude that "what we've done so far works".:(

Amen to your last sentence. I'm pretty sure that they just look at their sales figures and conclude that "what we've done so far works".:(

Yeah, and from their perspective that IS total success. Obviously, sales figures translate to that directly.

Sad for the minority, but otherwise I guess it works as intended.

Battlespire 2: This time, it might actually run on current hardware

That reminds me that I really need to finish putting together that retrospective/review I started on Battlespire... last year? Good grief. I hate crunch mode.

Back
Top Bottom