Bethesda Softworks - Next Game Revealed Thursday

I don't care about dungeons and I don't find a problem with the auto-leveling, but for the love of God (or gods if you're a pagan, or pizza if you're an atheist), let me play as a MAGE, not a swordsman turned mage like in the Gothics, a mage pure and simple!. That's the one thing that gets me to like all TES games (specially the spellcrafting part) and not the Gothics even though they share many concepts.

I for one found the Morrowind dungeons to be of sensible size and reasonably varied, but then I dont like dungeon crawling. Unfortunately my opinion was a minority one and the small dungeons were criticised pretty widely AFAIK. Still I find it hard to buy that all these dungeons were completely handmade, there was some degree of repetition (that got worse in Oblivion where it seems like whole sections of dungeon levels were recycled).

They are handmade, but they are assembled from a sizable but limited number of prefabricated dungeon sections that can be put together lego-style (with a limited number of sections really fitting together, further limiting the options), and decorated with a likewise big but limited number of available statics, treasures and monsters - that explains the sameness well enough. Hand made means the individual dungeon layout is put together from the pieces by hand and not by an algorithm, but it's not "sculpted" from primitives each time. An additional factor is that it is easy to copy a dungeon, change it a bit, and voila, lazy level-designer-man just got himself an extra 15min on his lunchbreak...

Could it be Jade E 2? Nah. Too good to be true.

It'll be another Fallblivion, just named as something else. Whatever it is, I'll keep the money. :D

They are handmade, but they are assembled from a sizable but limited number of prefabricated dungeon sections that can be put together lego-style (with a limited number of sections really fitting together, further limiting the options), and decorated with a likewise big but limited number of available statics, treasures and monsters - that explains the sameness well enough.

Thanks for the explanation. That certainly explains why it felt like Daggerfall II (where the lego blocks were combined by an algorithm) in that respect.

One quick point about Daggerfall: It had a very good 3-D map that you could turn every which way and zoom in and out. That's how I found my way out of every one of those dungeons.

I haven't played it in a looooooong time, but that's how I remember it, anyway.

If they release it with construction kit, by 2012 I might be sold.

Jade Empire 2... oooo.... I liked that game up until the ending, when it decided to go from challenging to "good luck sucker". A good fighting game with an actual story....

My bet would be on Elder Scrolls 5, though. I wonder what land it would be in?

The Bethsoft press release makes me think the announcement isn't Elder Scrolls V (Though I'll keep fingers crossed). It's a project they've been working on with Splash Damage and all the recent Splash Damage hires have been from the FPS world.

Hey guys, they just revealed it. The game is called Brink and you can watch the teaser here:
http://brinkthegame.com/

From the teaser, it's slated for 2010 and will be for PC, 360, and PS3. Looks like a new sci-fi IP.

bummer, sci-fi.

I was hoping for swords and sworcery, but i guess they need to branch out a little more

They always try to make a technological jump with each Elder Scrolls (which is very Garriot-like). Morrowind was about a huge seamless outside world and Oblivion was about doing real forests. Just makes me think that ESV will be that much cooler when it arrives.

The eye is human-like, the forehead is not, and there is blood.

So we have 3 aspects of that person:

- human ancestry ?
- alien ?
- combat/war/battle/torture/whatever

Whereas the "blood" factor could mean some kind of "mature" game, because children's games don't usually involve blood. I guess they're inspired by Dragon Age on the "mature" thing (blood = mature, dark, gritty).

One quick point about Daggerfall: It had a very good 3-D map that you could turn every which way and zoom in and out. That's how I found my way out of every one of those dungeons.

I haven't played it in a looooooong time, but that's how I remember it, anyway.

You are a patient man:) I generally used mark and recall instead.

The 3D-map was certainly a unique design. It could get pretty confusing in large dungeons though. I think the concept would be worth trying again in higher resolution and with modern usability concepts in mind (not that game makers take usability in consideration as much as they should).

OK, I got nothing out of that - other than this isn't for us. Thanks for the heads-up, Moxie.

I'll likely buy, play, and complain about it ... oh, well ...

Back
Top Bottom