King Arthur II - Review @ Game Over

Dhruin

SasqWatch
King Arthur II continues to take a beating in reviews with Game Over's critique resulting in a score of 65%:
Remember the "choose your own adventure" line of books? Many RPG developers would credit them as one of the sources of modern RPG storytelling. Neocore took that inspiration a bit literally, as King Arthur 2 is basically a computerize version of those books. A large portion of the game consists of moving your hero to a scroll icon on the map and listening to a gravelly-voiced man lead you through an adventure story. After each scene, you are asked to make a decision: do you talk to the hermit druid or the pious monk? Do you attack an enemy encampment from the front or the rear? Each decision you make takes the narrative in a (very slightly) different direction and every so often it ends in a real battle. Don't get me wrong, the writing is decent and very descriptive, but if I wanted to listen to a fantasy audio book, I would go download A Game of Thrones. I play games to be part of the story, not a silent observer.
More information.

Idiot. These guys just don't get ii do they? The text quests in King Arthur II makes the game more immersive, and decent writing makes them one of the games strong points. The weak point in my book being that it's WAY to linear. Still played it through to the end, but I won't replay unledd they release a more sandbox style expansion.

Still love the textquests though, even if they're nowhere near the same quality as those in Space Rangers II, but some of those where pretty hardcore. Sometimes I just get a bit sad when the wrong people review games, you don't me me doing reviews of COD or Battlefield, bacause I suck at those games, and think they're about as fun as a headache.

Many RPG developers would credit them as one of the sources of modern RPG storytelling.
In the 80's I read dozens of Fighting Fantasy, Lone Wolfe, and Chose your own Adventure interactive novels and each choice I made resulted in a different outcome. So, regrettably, no. No. Modern RPG storytelling goes like this:

If want to hit the orc in the face turn to page 42 and watch the cut scene.
If you want to bribe the the orc turn to page 42 and watch the cut scene.
If you want to seduce the orc, buy a cottage in the country, settle down and raise 2.5 children turn to page 42 and watch the cut scene.

Back
Top Bottom