The Memory of Eldurim - A Open World ARPG

Day and night cycle are already in and the world has fully dynamic lighting thanks to the CryEngine.

We are going to be working on NPCs a lot. I think player NPC interaction is very important in order to make your game immersive.

This! For me personally, atmosphere and the illusion of a living, breathing world is very important.

Gothic is a prime example of this, especially the city of Khorinis in Gothic 2. People going about their business during the day, peddlers selling their wares, smiths smithing and such, and then retiring to the tavern at dusk, having a drink, and finally going to bed later.
That entire game just oozed atmosphere… I still remember wandering in that dark forest with all the wolves and a sunny day suddenly turning dark and oppressive walking under the green canopy, with howls in the distance…

Good times. :)

Edit: And I'll chime in with the rest, and say gameplay, story and (rewarding) exploration takes precedence over graphics for me as well.

Hey, another dev for the game here, and unfortunately right now you have to be online due to using CryTek's FreeSDK. They are working on getting us a custom login-less build (should be coming this week hopefully), that will allow the game to be played offline.

It's nice to see you, but we actually want to hear when.
Kickstarter.
When?

Gothic is a prime example of this, especially the city of Khorinis in Gothic 2. People going about their business during the day, peddlers selling their wares, smiths smithing and such, and then retiring to the tavern at dusk, having a drink, and finally going to bed later.
That entire game just oozed atmosphere… I still remember wandering in that dark forest with all the wolves and a sunny day suddenly turning dark and oppressive walking under the green canopy, with howls in the distance…

You nailed it, my man. Gothic 2 was the first computer game I played where there was some very real tension just walking through the dark woods. Elderscolls didn't get it right till Skyrim. It must be really hard to do because most game can't or won't do it. Ultimas had the day cycles but I never felt tension there. Might and Magic had day cycles but I always slept at night in those games.

I am really anxious to play "Eldurim" and look forward to this next developers take on an atmospheric RPG.

It's nice to see you, but we actually want to hear when.
Kickstarter.
When?

Well, we are waiting for CryTek to get us the build of the engine with the login requirement removed (so that people can play the game offline), and we just got word today that it is ready, so it very well could be as early as this weekend. We are basically all ready besides that piece, so it really depends on them unfortunately.

The melee system looks quite fun. You need to have proper sword hit sounds though, like when a sword hits armor / shield :)

I noticed that in few videos main character was throwing some fireballs, what kind of other spells are there? how complex is the magic system?

What about ranged combat? (bow, xbow, spears etc)

The melee system looks quite fun. You need to have proper sword hit sounds though, like when a sword hits armor / shield :)

I noticed that in few videos main character was throwing some fireballs, what kind of other spells are there? how complex is the magic system?

What about ranged combat? (bow, xbow, spears etc)

Thanks! The melee system is feeling good now, but is still very far from done. And yeah, we are certainly lacking in sound effects and such right now.

We only have two fire spells in right now, and our magic system is pretty shallow at present. But the lore is that people find a shard that has the blood (or essence) of something inside of it. For instance, you might find a “fire blood” shard. The player then places this shard into his wrist and the essence from the blood shard mixes with the blood of the player and he is able to produce fire magic. After using a spell in a certain shard for a time, that spell is "memorized" and the shard is no longer required to cast the spell. Here are some in-engine previews of what shards currently look like:
fire.gif

storm.gif

blood.gif

We are working on some lightning spells right now, as well as some "utility" spells (phase, blink, etc). We should have a big spell update coming in a few weeks here, probably after our kickstarter launches.

Cool. Magic is a requirement for this gamer. I will hardly look at low magic or no magic games, no matter how much they're touted. The more spells the merrier, as long as they each do something the others don't. It's fine to have ice storm and meteor shower even if both are AOE spells because one needs cold resistance and the other fire. I just hate 6 spells that all basically do the same thing. Cure light wounds, cure medium wounds, cure critical wounds, etc. Make them all one spell that requires greater mana or skill to use.

Yeah, we definitely don't want old spells to become worthless, they will get better with you (there wont be a bunch of different versions of fireball). Also, one thing I forgot to mention, is that there wont be a mana bar, but you will have a "resistance" bar. Basically, as you cast a spell, your resistance bar fills up, and if it fills all the way, you can keep casting, but it will start damaging you. As you cast certain spells, you will become more resistant to that spell, and be able to cast it more without your resistance going up so fast. You will get better in a cascading fashion, if you cast "fireball" a lot, you will become greatly resistant to that spell, more resistant to fire spells in general (to a lesser extent), and more resistant to all spells to an even lesser extent.

That's a unique approach! Sounds good in theory, at least. It'll be fun to test it out when the time comes.

We only have two fire spells in right now, and our magic system is pretty shallow at present. But the lore is that people find a shard that has the blood (or essence) of something inside of it. For instance, you might find a “fire blood” shard. The player then places this shard into his wrist and the essence from the blood shard mixes with the blood of the player and he is able to produce fire magic. After using a spell in a certain shard for a time, that spell is "memorized" and the shard is no longer required to cast the spell.

We are working on some lightning spells right now, as well as some "utility" spells (phase, blink, etc). We should have a big spell update coming in a few weeks here, probably after our kickstarter launches.

Thanks for the info :)

All that sounds actually quite orginal. I can see tons of potential there. That kind of magic system seems very intuitive to new player: you'll get better simply by casting spells and finding new shards.

Btw If you're going to have lightning, you need some cool ice spells too. And play with elemental weaknesses. Like some enmies being resistant to fire etc Maybe allow player to set stuff on fire, freeze ground/water, use water to empower lightning and so forth :)

And I concur what Crpgnut said, don't make spells that do exact same thing. If you're going to have a healing spell, let it grow more powerfull while player becomes better casting healing magic.

And i personally love those utility type spells, like open lock or protection field. Maybe something similar to force powers like push and pull enemies, jump higher, move with greater speed, better vision in the dark, absorb damage/magic and channel it towards the enemy…

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that the kickstarter is live! You can check it out here:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/liminalgames/the-memory-of-eldurim

Thank you guys for all the excellent feedback and questions.
Btw If you're going to have lightning, you need some cool ice spells too. And play with elemental weaknesses. Like some enmies being resistant to fire etc Maybe allow player to set stuff on fire, freeze ground/water, use water to empower lightning and so forth

Yeah we definitely want to do a lot more than your run-of-the-mill spells in typical RPGs. We want magic to feel great and wont be satisfied till it is. We've got a big update in the works as far as magic goes, so stay tuned.

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that the kickstarter is live! You can check it out here:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/liminalgames/the-memory-of-eldurim

Thank you guys for all the excellent feedback and questions.

Yeah we definitely want to do a lot more than your run-of-the-mill spells in typical RPGs. We want magic to feel great and wont be satisfied till it is. We've got a big update in the works as far as magic goes, so stay tuned.
Thanks for the tip it's now on the front page. I wish you guys success as most first time developers on Kickstarter have a hard time getting $50,000.

I'll continue to cover your updates and help spread the word.
hurray.gif

Thanks for the tip it's now on the front page. I wish you guys success as most first time developers on Kickstarter have a hard time getting $50,000.

I'll continue to cover your updates and help spread the word.
hurray.gif

Thanks! We really appreciate it. We know we are asking for a lot for unproven developers, but we also have more to show upfront than about any video game kickstarter ever (our pre-alpha), so we have high hopes. If we fall short, we'll retool and relaunch for a lesser amount.

Back
Top Bottom