• 50's

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • 60's

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • 70+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And as for Candy Crush - several people I know playing it are actually quite mature. I've got relatives in their 50s who are completely hooked, despite never having been "gamers" in the past.

And as for Candy Crush - several people I know playing it are actually quite mature. I've got relatives in their 50s who are completely hooked, despite never having been "gamers" in the past.

Yes, but because of the age groups and gender dominant here, there is a need to assert gaming declarations of what is 'real gaming', who is a 'real gamer' (and no, it is NOT 'someone who plays games' apparently), and so on. They find it easy to blame teens for everything, yet forget that it is in the 30-something age group that is funding the 'do nothing sequel' world and 'graphics whore race' that dominates the use of technology instead of innovating. Oh well.

About the Codex:
As on every board you need a few months to learn the preferences and opinions of the regular posters, so you can classify and judge them better.
Most discussions in the RPG subforum are in-depth and interesting.
Stay away from 'General Discussion' and everything is fine :)

Well, I have nothing against candy crush :) It is very good for the swedish economy, but I don't think it is something that should be discuss on a forum such as RPGWatch... well maybe a little but at least not extensively!

Well, I have nothing against candy crush :) It is very good for the swedish economy, but I don't think it is something that should be discuss on a forum such as RPGWatch… well maybe a little but at least not extensively!

Don't disagree - we have a non-RPG to discuss Call of Duty and Candy Crush and other stuff of less interest to many of us. But the quick dismissal of any 'phonegame' is inherently limiting ... and dismissing anyone who uses mobile devices or social media or other things is likewise quite limiting.

About the Codex:
As on every board you need a few months to learn the preferences and opinions of the regular posters, so you can classify and judge them better.
Most discussions in the RPG subforum are in-depth and interesting.
Stay away from 'General Discussion' and everything is fine :)

I'm not judging the posters, I'm judging the content.

I don't judge people in general. I'm just perceiving and commenting on what's there :)

I'm not judging the posters, I'm judging the content.

Then again, I have this theory about Codexian being another way of saying stuck-in-early-teens.

Sounds different :)

If you know people for a longer time you get a better understanding what they are trying to say on a board. Contrary to face to face communication you don't have the facial expressions and many posters are not native speakers.
The language is often not so exact as in their native language would be.

On RPGWatch I can often even predicting what someone will write before it's written, so good I know most of you ;)

If you know people for a longer time you get a better understanding what they are trying to say on a board. Contrary to face to face communication you don't have the facial expressions and many posters are not native speakers.

On RPGWatch I can often even predicting what someone will write before it's written, so good I know most of you ;)

So what am I going to write next ?

So what am I going to write next ?

Deus Ex is one of the best games I ever played. I love the C&C, stealth and hacker options and the challenging combat. The limited inventory is nice, too.

PS:
Probably programmed in C++ ... ;)

That was a joke. I don't honestly believe that all Codexians are stuck in their teens.

If you really know me, you'd understand that I don't confuse real people with their internet personas. I've said this time and time again.

That doesn't change, however, that the VAST majority of the people from the Codex visiting the Watch have been trolling in one way or the other.

If you want to focus on what they might be like in real life - or how what they're saying and doing online isn't really what they mean and that we should all be super patient and struggle to read something positive between the lines - that's fair enough.

But I don't agree.

If people have something to contribute, they should do that - instead of spewing endless and pointless bile.

As for the whole teens are people too, that's nice and all. But reality is that teenagers are confused and led by their hormones. That's natural - and they can be brilliant and wonderful people all the same. The majority will still be a major pain to interact with online, though, and I don't want to waste my time having endless debates about things they don't understand yet.

Maybe that's just me :)

All I'm saying is:
If you are longer on a board you know the 'internet persons' on a board better and understand their opinions, arguments, language and online behavior [their content & context] better. At least I can do that.

PS:
To know the Codexians you have to be some time at the Codex. Felipe Pepe for example is also a Codexer. His CRPG book initiative is very interesting and remarkable. He posts here, too.

All I'm saying is:
If you are longer on a board you know the 'internet persons' on a board better and understand their opinions, arguments, language and online behavior [their content & context] better. At least I can do that.

PS:
To know the Codexians you have to be some time at the Codex. Felipe Pepe for example is also a Codexer. His CRPG book initiative is very interesting and remarkable. He posts here, too.

I got it the first time.

You're not listening. Please do me the favor and read what I'm writing.

I'm not saying there's nothing good on the Codex.

Please understand that.

Let's try again:

I'm not saying there's nothing good on the Codex.

Then let's try this:

I know there are lots of posters with something interesting to say on the Codex.

Ok?

Here's my problem:

In nearly every thread I've read on the Codex, there's a ton of pointless bile. I know that's not the fault of any individual poster. But I don't have the patience or inclination to "sort through" the bile to get to the good parts. That's all.

You don't mind or you don't think of it as bile. That's cool and I'm sure you feel it's worth your time.

That's what I like about the Watch. I feel we accept people - even these Codex trolls - and we don't need to insult each other to "fit in". I feel there's room for the individual - and in most cases, I even feel our strange ways can be appreciated.

We don't seem to feel the need to put each other down on a near-constant basis, and though there's most definitely SOME old-school bias, it's not extreme, and overall there's a pretty lenient attitude towards other ways of making games.

In short, I find the Watch quite balanced and people are unusually calm and tolerant.

Being "PC open-minded" and openly encouraging teenagers or "Codexians" to join, would not be my way of maintaining that kind of environment, but I'm not one to exclude anyone. I'm just saying what I'd like.

I got it the first time.
Then why do you not simply agree?

You're not listening. Please do me the favor and read what I'm writing.

That's something you say often to others.
Believe me I'm always listening and can read, write and speak English very well.

Maybe you should try to show some empathy and try to understand others better before attacking them in endless threads. First think then write, less text is better.

Wow, this thread has been seriously derailed. No wonder folks don't post much. I'm still 50 and I'm probably above average; in age at least ;)

Then why do you not simply agree?

I've agreed several times already, you just insist on repeating yourself. It's like you can't accept that I can agree that Codex has good stuff - and yet that I simply don't feel like making the effort to find it.

That's something you say often to others.
Believe me I'm always listening and can read, write and speak English very well.

Maybe you can read the words, but you don't seem to understand what they mean.

Maybe you should try to show some empathy and try to understand others better before attacking them in endless threads. First think then write, less text is better.

That's certainly an opinion.

This could be the perfect opportunity for you to follow your own advice - and remember that what you read and (mis)understand is not really "DArtagnan" - it's your own limited perception of who I am.

Sometimes, stating an opinion is not an attack. Empathy in itself is very often completely useless - and the only reason I would make an effort to display empathy - would be for selfish reasons, so that people would like me. I'm not a very selfish person, and it's much more important for me to state my opinion in an undiluted fashion - and I let the bricks fall where they may. The people who can't appreciate that - who get stuck on their dislike for whatever reason - are the people I accept won't like whatever they think of my internet persona. Most of them come around, once they get past themselves, though. Doesn't mean they want to admit it, but it seems I'm not really quite as despised as I once thought ;)

I don't think less text is always better. That would seem to be a very ignorant statement.

Sometimes, less is more - but if you want to understand something - or someone - a lot of text CAN be necessary. But having it there, doesn't mean it's being read. I realise that. I have no illusions that people actually read what I say - and you certainly don't. That's ok. The reason I asked you to, is that you keep going in circles of ignorance about what I'm saying.

I know you have an emotional obstacle regarding my internet persona, and you're too pleased with yourself (yes, that's extremely plain - even behind your diplomatic exterior) to ever entertain being wrong about me. That's not a problem - and I don't take it personally.

You're still a smart guy and you have interesting things to contribute when it comes to gaming.

It would just be easier if you didn't insist on having the "only way" and you could accept that I don't agree.

You know? Don't make it into a personal thing. Be adult about it.

Just ignore that you don't like DArtagnan the persona, and let's focus on the issues or whatever it is we're discussing.

Anyway, we've derailed enough - I think. So, I'll leave it be.

I'm 25 and have been gaming for as long as I can remember. At first, nobody really had a video game station at home, so me, my brother and my friends spent time at the clubs/arcades. I remember how we could afford only a few matches of Mortal Kombat 2 and how the clubs were always crowded. Fallout 2 really drew me in and I spent hundreds of hours on it. I still think that no other RPG has recreated the experience offered by Fallout 1 or 2.

Still i the fifties, but only for 2 more months.

First RPG: Bard's tale II. Then Ultima 5.

pibbur who

Back
Top Bottom