Personal things you don't need to know

I would say that for food and basic necessities it's markedly more expensive except for those that are sourced from Australia.

Canberra is a very nice place, looks like a great city to live in: quiet, clean, with friendly people. But like Corwin said it's pretty barren. There isn't much here.

Canberra is a very nice place, looks like a great city to live in: quiet, clean, with friendly people. But like Corwin said it's pretty barren. There isn't much here.

Except lots of animals that want to kill you, of course.

pibbur who also would like to go down under.

If you do, use Google Flights like I did, you can find the cheapest flight for every day of arrival/departure.

As you should be. But where is the irukandji?

pibur who thinks that the omission of said jellyfish is inexcusable.

I quit my job recently and now it's again the time to absolutely minimize all of my expenses. I think I set the target too high when I determined that I'll quit weed, tobacco, sweets and pretty much anything all at the same time. When I did it the last time, it seemed a lot easier and I managed quite well. Still, I have enough to cover the basics and this beats working a crap job that you loathe.

Hopefully I will find something soon and one day, when I'll finally get a call saying that I'm hired, I have a plan to take one of the longest showers ever, order 3 of those really good pizzas I've been dreaming about and smoke a huge joint :). Maybe I will go the forest, light up and just wander around.

Buy lots of eggs, ground beef, spinach, broccoli, sweet potatoes and apples. It will be extremely healthy and dirt cheap and you will be filled and be less inclined to compensate through various indulgences.

Had a week's vacation last week. Had planned to do several things at home, but things didn't go quite as planned. The wife got sick, influenza, and I had to take care of here. She thanked me by infecting me, so now I'm down with the orthomyxovirus (the family the virus belongs to) which actually rarely happens. And as everybody knows, men becomes much sicker and requires much more attention than the other gender. Unfortunately the wife has gone back to work.

pibbur who realizes that he's now reached the age when vaccination is recommended.

PS: Did you know there is a bacterium called Haemophilus influenzae, which once were thought to be the cause of the disease, hence the name? It's not, which is kind of sad, since the bacterium, unlike the virus, is easily eliminated with antibiotics. Now you know. DS.

What a crappy 2 month period this has been. Had to face pretty much every inner demon and darkness that I had. I thought that I had to do something radical, but got a job offer out of the blue :). Just in time for the release of PoE and I can finally, finally relax.

I feel for you. Good that things are better now.

Best wishes from

pibbur

I am a bit worried.

Tomorrow if everything is going according to plan, I'm meeting an Australian. I look forward to that. Very much so.

What worries me is of course the language barrier. Australians write English, so no problem there. But they don't speak English. At least not properly. I know. I've listened to ozzies on conferences and on TV, both home and away - I really appreciate subtitles.

Come to think of it: Not many speak English properly. Americans? Ugh. Canadians - don't know for sure, but I assume their English is somewhat affected by French. I know all about that. I studied french at high school, and for years after that I instinctively said "oui", when I ought to have said "yes".

Come to think of it 2: Even in the UK many don't speak English properly. My youngest daughter lives in Edinburgh. Say no more.

pibbur who has come to realize that the only places proper English is spoken is around London, and on the west coast of Norway. :)

PS.We both have cell phones so if all else fails we can always SMS each other. DS.

To those of you who can't wait to know: It went very well. I understood most of what he said, and he at least appeared to understand what I said. No need to resort to sign language. And I only had to use my cell phone to SMS my wife.

All in all, we had a pleasant time together.

pibbur who is also happy that nobody were insulted caused by misunderstandings caused by language problems caused by Australia being far away (1 1/2 mile from the sun), eventually caused by big bang.

PS. Regarding language problems, here's a Hungarian phrasebook:

DS.

To those of you who can't wait to know: It went very well. I understood most of what he said, and he at least appeared to understand what I said. No need to resort to sign language. And I only had to use my cell phone to SMS my wife.

All in all, we had a pleasant time together.

pibbur who is also happy that nobody were insulted caused by misunderstandings caused by language problems caused by Australia being far away (1 1/2 mile from the sun), eventually caused by big bang.

PS. Regarding language problems, here's a Hungarian phrasebook:

DS.

Thanks Pibbur, this will be very useful when I am going down under!

I'm sure it's just as meaningless in australian as in hungarian.

Pibbur who is sure it's just as meaningless in australian as in hungarian.

My wife's belly is really really huge now, she gets really tired easily with our two small kids, and this one coming to this world really soon (another daughter).

I'm happy for her coming, but what I'm not quite as happy as much is that my mother-in-law, who I love very much, is going to come spend time here after her birth to help, which is actually a code word for micro-managing my every move and usurping my authority in the house. At least she knows I don't relinquish it easily, lol.

Good luck to all of you:

1. With upcoming childbirth
2. With upcoming mother-in-law visit.

pibbur who promises not to come to Canada.

Back
Top Bottom