Guild Wars 2 - Living World System

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
PCGMedia has an article with info on Guild Wars 2 Living World System.

ArenaNet have announced that they are bring a “Living World” system to Guild Wars 2, promising fortnightly updates that change the world based on player actions. From the announcement:

“Our goal is to make Guild Wars 2 the most frequently updated and best supported game experience you can find, and to that end, every two weeks there will be a release with brand new playable content and a mix of supporting features and updates across the entire game. As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

This is fantastic for players of Guild Wars 2, to see the company still expanding on the already feature-filled game. Creating a world that is permanently impacted by player choices has always been something sorely missing in most MMOs, so it’ll be interesting to see whether ArenaNet can deliver on this.
More information.

They could update it daily and it would still be a crappy MMORPG to me.

It's a massively single player game, with weak and boring grouping. You zerg events and PvP as a soloist, level solo, 5-man groups are 5 soloists sharing a chat and instance, and so on.

GW2 lacks the depth and elegance of a trinity-based grouping system, has a lame and not very fun not quite progression system, has a craptastic player economy, boring and simplistic character classes that are all clones of each other to the extreme, and more that leave it pretty much lacking as an MMORPG.

Yes, it has some neato things, especially if you're into soloing, and it had some good ideas that were beaten to death (zone events and their overall zone content for leveling are cool til you've done 20 zones of it and realize it's all the same exact formula repeated, and there goes the appeal).

Bring on EverQuest Next (says the MMO addict with hope and desperation). Revisiting Rift will only keep me occupied so long. Of course, I'm buying games like crazy thru Steam's summer sale and all of that could keep me busy a while....but I'd rather be playing an amazing MMO. And at one point I thought GW2 was it, but that faded fast for me and the many people I got to try that game.

Problem is that their stories are rather weak and the presentation suffers. There's no open world PvP - and there's really no reason to keep playing except to play dress-up.

Game would have been better with more sandbox features, like housing or in-depth crafting.

It's a pity, because the content and exploration is quite good - and the engine is magnificent. The combat is very active and entertaining - even if the arsenal is extremely limited.

It could have been a fantastic MMO if it was less of a toy factory and more of a serious game with challenges that went beyond jumping and mass zergs.

But it does seem to have a lot of fans - and if they've been sticking with it for this long, then bi-weekly updates should be just the thing to keep them playing.

Back
Top Bottom