Elder Scrolls Online - Will Require A Subscription

Hehe, well - one of the reasons I got so into it was that my GF at the time was even more into WoW than I was.

I don't think I could ever play an MMO alone for long - as I tend to solo when I don't have real friends playing.

Playing MMOs solo is boring, imo.

Hey Dart and greywolf, out of curiosity, how did you have time to play that much and how did you fund it? Student? Played WoW at night, work / study all day?

Hey Dart and greywolf, out of curiosity, how did you have time to play that much and how did you fund it? Student? Played WoW at night, work / study all day?

Unemployed a lot of the time and on "dagpenge" - which is a kind of unemployment insurance in Denmark.

My GF and I were both going through a rough time back then, and we used the game as a way to bury ourselves. For instance, my sister died due to a drug overdose - and a whole host of other wonderful happenings.

WoW addiction is a trap that's all too easy to spring when you're trying to cope with some shit.

I'm like most of you I prefer to just pay for the games I want to play. Free to play models do tend to get annoying with all the nickel and diming they do and in my experience it tends to cost more per month than a flat rate subscription. I like predictability better.

We're talking 4-8 hours playing each and every day - and then 2-4 hours of reading and studying mechanics on forums.

I always fantasized about having that kind of time to put into WoW back when I played it. I was always part of the b-movie crowd never really knowing much about raids and the high-end-game content. But I just never had the time to put into the game to become really competent understanding skills and mechanics and you really need to have that kind of knowledge and skill to be accepted by other players who do have time to get that good at the game.

I always fantasized about having that kind of time to put into WoW back when I played it. I was always part of the b-movie crowd never really knowing much about raids and the high-end-game content. But I just never had the time to put into the game to become really competent understanding skills and mechanics and you really need to have that kind of knowledge and skill to be accepted by other players who do have time to get that good at the game.

Trust me, your time was most likely spent better elsewhere...

Not that it isn't cool to be really, really good at something - but it's just not worth the time you need to put into it, conclusively.

It's overrated. Yes it's neat to see new dungeons and bosses, and shiny purples, but after a few times it turns in to a job, not a game. Enjoy the exploration, the story, having fun with friends, because if I think about the 3500 hours I logged on one character, most of which was raiding, I don't remember much about it. The good memories I do have is from questing casually with friends. In fact the BEST memories were when I didn't know what the hell I was doing lol.

It's overrated. Yes it's neat to see new dungeons and bosses, and shiny purples, but after a few times it turns in to a job, not a game. Enjoy the exploration, the story, having fun with friends, because if I think about the 3500 hours I logged on one character, most of which was raiding, I don't remember much about it. The good memories I do have is from questing casually with friends. In fact the BEST memories were when I didn't know what the hell I was doing lol.

That's about when I decided to leave EQ1. I loved playing EQ1 during the original game and then Kunark era. But when I got Ice of Vellious, things started to change. When before I would join 4-5 friends and hit some dungeon somewhere and fool around waiting for a respawn or whatever, suddenly I now needed more than 1 group, and things started getting too militaristic and organized… 'Clerics stand here! Wizards stand there! Wizards start casting after I give the signal! Clerics rotate to heal this or that!' Suddenly it felt I was not playing the game, someone was playing the game and I was just pressing the buttons he wanted me to press. The name of the game was 'Raidquest' now, and I didn't like that game.

If you run this through google translate from "english" to "cut the crap" it reads something like

"Yeah, full subby! We're going for the cash cow! Mooooo!! Besides, games that start with subscription then go free2play later appear more valuable and consequentially fare better than games that begin as free.

We'll announce the Item Mall, where you can buy the ORIGINAL Oblivion Horse Armor, and other great DLC that you'd expect/demand from a retail AAA singleplayer game, at a later date; an effort to stay true to our singleplayer RPG roots.

For the first expansion pack, we…."

I have to admit, translation software has gotten very good lately. I speak native CtC and this is almsot dead on!

Have any MMOs tried a 'pay for time' model? One of the many reasons I never subscribed to a MMO was that I generally play relatively little, so a monthly fee that amounts to the price of a full SP game every few months always seemed to be a bad deal to me. And I generally don't like the F2P model exactly for the reasons that D'Artagnan outlines. But if I would only pay for the actual time I spend in the game, I would be far mor willing to try one.

Remember AOL did this with the first MMOG's? AOL NWN, Gemstar, Battletech, etc.? The games were designed to keep you playing for hours and when they switched to the flat rate in competition with the local ISP's then couldn't rid of them fast enough.

Hehe…

For 1.5 years - I raided Molten Core for 4-5 hours every day (except lockout after finally beating it all) - hoping to get my hands on Thunderfury - which was a legendary sword in WoW.

I got everything except the last binding.

So, we're talking at least 1500 hours trying to get an item in a computer game - and I never got it ;)

Playing Rogue and obsessing about being top DPS meant that you couldn't take your eyes off the screen for a single second (unless you just wiped) - or you'd lose DPS. It certainly kept you awake!

That said, I'm glad I didn't - because The Burning Crusade expansion came out soon after stopping MC - and they reset gear, making Thunderfury into a useless novelty.

Learned a lesson about MMO design and loot that day!

Man, I don't know if I should bow in admiration, shake my head in confusion, or feel sorry… But it does put your tenactiy as a forum poster into perspective :D

We should have an achievement thread.

I play many F2P games and the only thing I ever pay for is extra storage and many times I have gotten that for free. Other then that I play without paying anything without any issues. A few of the games I have played for a pretty long time and I am usually in a guild. I don't know why people think they need to buy the crap from the item mall but I guess it could be for pvp and raids which I don't really do much of.

There is one game that I did do pvp and raids in though and never spent a dime on without any issues. It was Atlantica Online which is one of the few mmorpgs with a turn-based combat system and is also the game I went the furthest in and would probably still be playing if I hadn't lost my computer at the time.

PS. Except for Atlantica Online I don't really play all that much and so never do subscriptions.

I applaud the decision to go subscription-based; f2p content is too modular, too piecemeal and tends to feel superficial. So, will I be buying TES Online? Nope, burned out on cliche` fantasy.

The mainstream audience has quickly accepted F2P as THE way to try games - and I don't know if that'll ever change again.

Damn ... do you HAVE to be so f-ing right!!! :D

I was happy with F2P as the '1 year after release profit sustaining move', but you are totally right. Hardcore/enthusiast gamers complain ... but the casual folks are filling up the F2P coffers so fast that it is inevitable.

I support the move, but know I am at best good for a couple of months.

I have to admit, translation software has gotten very good lately. I speak native CtC and this is almsot dead on!

I swear, if it doesn't have an item mall I'll eat a chain coif +2 on video and youtube it. You can even pick the wizard to do the enchantment, but I'll use my own blacksmith for the coif because I'm on a diet.

I'm pleased about what it said about being able to play the game on your own. The only other mmo that I played a lot was Conan, and I had to quit because half of the content required a full team of players, and the group finding tools were pitiful. I like playing with other players but it's an exercise in frustration when you need to get a quest done and you can't because you can't find anyone to group with.

I refuse to pay for a game and then keep on paying. I bought GW 2 because I can play it forever without paying anything more; I play DDO because I can determine what, if anything, I want to pay for. It's the social aspect of playing with people from here that I enjoy.

Recently, both F2P and subscription games have a fraction of the content older RPG and MMO had.

The real question is will there be $15 a month in content?

When before I would join 4-5 friends and hit some dungeon somewhere and fool around waiting for a respawn or whatever, suddenly I now needed more than 1 group, and things started getting too militaristic and organized… 'Clerics stand here! Wizards stand there! Wizards start casting after I give the signal! Clerics rotate to heal this or that!'

Oh, how good I know this ! - In the SWTOR forums, people have begun bickering about those who are "not geared well enough" for their multi-people quests. People will even be kicked because of that.

And the Holy Trinity - it becomes like some kind of gamer's religion already : Tank, Healer, Damage Dealer.
Everything using a different path is heavily frowned upon by the self-proclaimed "professionals".
Worst is that they (these "pro's") even FORCE people to use the Holy Trinity in STARTER quests !
And now Bioware introduced an "role-neutral area" - guess what ? They began to bicker about that as well …

Regarding ESO : I didn't even bother to go near to that. Far far too many people ...

Back
Top Bottom