The DArtagnan is a terrible person thread

DA, how important is it to you that people read what you write ?

I'm just wondering because you do seem to put a great of effort into it.
I think that people switch off after a while especially when threads become like these.

Not very important. What do you mean by "people"?

If you haven't noticed - there's a person specifically asking me questions. Are you suggesting I should ignore that person?

It happens a lot with Jemy's threads when they start getting cut into thirty replies as things get too long and cumbersome.

It seems people have a hard time focusing on a core subject on forums (in real life it would just turn into a new subject but on forums it becomes a quote/reply fest).

The subject is me as a person. I think I'm pretty good at sticking with that subject so far.

But you're right - we do change subject a lot in a lot of threads.

But I'm not asking anyone to read what I write - and I much prefer they don't if they have no interest in it.

DArt, are you typing again? ;)

I remain amazed that you can be so clinical and yet center yourself around a fuzzy teddybear utopian vision. But that's old news.

FWIW, I appreciate your blunt honesty. You've established what you are and you remain true to that construct. In truth, I think it's probably more effective than the faux-politeness that I revel in, and certainly light years ahead of the politically correct, feel-goodie mush that most people subscribe to. Certainly, you'll lose some folks that feel safer when they're obscured in the mists of guarded conversation, but as long as you acknowledge and accept that loss then there's no problem.

I'd much rather speak honestly to 50% of the people than reduce myself to inane drivel just to accomodate 100% of the people. Clearly, Omega doesn't agree. Fair enough, me thinks.

DArt, are you typing again? ;)

I remain amazed that you can be so clinical and yet center yourself around a fuzzy teddybear utopian vision. But that's old news.

FWIW, I appreciate your blunt honesty. You've established what you are and you remain true to that construct. In truth, I think it's probably more effective than the faux-politeness that I revel in, and certainly light years ahead of the politically correct, feel-goodie mush that most people subscribe to. Certainly, you'll lose some folks that feel safer when they're obscured in the mists of guarded conversation, but as long as you acknowledge and accept that loss then there's no problem.

I'd much rather speak honestly to 50% of the people than reduce myself to inane drivel just to accomodate 100% of the people. Clearly, Omega doesn't agree. Fair enough, me thinks.

I appreciate that.

That said, I think you're the only person around here who gets my "construct" - though I believe I've mentioned that.

Yes, I speak honestly and I've chosen to accept the consequences. The consequences are surprisingly light outside in the real world - because I think I articulate my "benevolent" motivation with much more success - through body language and my self-depricating humor.

Something that translates like crap when you're trying to write with precision in a foreign language.

If only people could read Danish ;)

Not very important. What do you mean by "people"?

If you haven't noticed - there's a person specifically asking me questions. Are you suggesting I should ignore that person?

No, not at all, I am talking about threads in general. As you seem to write and post a lot. And when you do join a topic you seem to, at many times, write long posts. It just seems you put a very great deal of effort into it.
Not a bad thing. Just wanted to point out a small observation on my part. Jemy also does this a lot, but since this thread is about you, I'm asking you :).

The subject is me as a person. I think I'm pretty good at sticking with that subject so far.

But you're right - we do change subject a lot in a lot of threads.

But I'm not asking anyone to read what I write - and I much prefer they don't if they have no interest in it.

Fair enough.

No, not at all, I am talking about threads in general. As you seem to write and post a lot. And when you do join a topic you seem to, at many times, write long posts. It just seems you put a very great deal of effort into it.
Not a bad thing. Just wanted to point out a small observation on my part. Jemy also does this a lot, but since this thread is about you, I'm asking you :).

Oh, no I don't put much effort into it. I write very fast and I don't think much about what I write. Well, I do, but that happens before I start writing.

For instance, the above reply to Omega took around 10 minutes.

My primary issue is putting my thoughts into English in a way that can be understood within reason.

I agree that long posts get really boring - and I'm not a very patient person. I like Jemy - but his posts look and sound like wikipedia paraphrasing. That's not very exciting to me ;)

I have no doubt that my own posts put people to sleep. Sorry about that.

I don't believe in the concept of good and evil - so the example could never apply to someone like myself.

I think I said the specific labels used were irrelevant? I was trying to show one should… and I quote
do his or her best to be PRECISE
You spread around all sorts of labels, all sorts of exclamation points. 'He gets emotional', 'you're not rational', 'you've no experience with people like me', 'people think the way you think', ''that's what you're doing' 'you did not read my post', etc, etc.
Maybe it's wise to take an extra look at your (hidden) exclamation points, because your labels, your perceptions appear to be gospel if you ask me. They may be true for you, but because you leave little room for different view, your labeling could be a reason why people take it personal instead of ignoring it. Perhaps you need to take more time replying.

I'm not talking about just one way - I'm talking about the honest way. The precise way. You can deliver precise information in many ways - but if you mix it up with pleasant delivery - it will often be anything BUT precise.

Let me rephrase what I was saying:
I couldn't imagine YOU'RE that restricted that your truth can be told in just one way. Isn't it the essence that counts rather than the form?
But apparently you ARE restricted, you can't think of any other way, but the blunt way, to say what you wish to say.

The only way you can perceive my approach is to see me as a person who wishes to cause pain?

You told me you:
- you inflict pain
- simply because YOU think it makes sense
- without even the wish to consider how to ease the pain ("If you believe you can always be fully honest and still ease the pain - then we simply disagree", and "I prefer not to manipulate information or try to imagine how it's received", 'it' being your bluntness.)

Before I started replying in this thread I was more or less neutral towards you, did not dislike you - still don't dislike you - but with every new post of yours in this thread there seems to be more and more distance between us.

I'm sorry but for a moment your excuse ("I do what I do BECAUSE I don't want people to get hurt") made me think of men who beat the shit out of their son, because ' it's good for the boy, that'll turn the softy into a man'. They mean to do well? That makes all well?

Do you wish to cause pain? I wouldn't say that, I didn't say that. You wish to do good, but ignore the pain you cause while doing it.

I think your behavior is self-centered, to say the least.

Last edited:
Well, D'art has good chances of winning the annual Wall-Of-Text Award ... and it's not even June.

Maybe it's wise to take an extra look at your (hidden) exclamation marks, because your labels, your perceptions appear to be gospel if you ask me. They may be true for you, but because you leave little room for different view, your labeling could be a reason why people take it personal instead of ignoring it. Perhaps you need to take more time replying.

I speak my mind - and if I'm wrong about something, that's always a possibility. You do the same constantly, or haven't you noticed?

You're just slightly more "polite" about it.

You tell yourself you've been neutral about me - and you claim to want to understand me.

That's blatantly false and you know it.

You set out to challenge me and show me the error of my ways. It literally beamed out of your words.

You've done nothing except to try and make me see how wrong I am - and how I remind you of yourself when you were young and naive. You haven't put forth the slightest effort to understand what I'm really saying - or you certainly haven't shown it.

Not one single time have you said: "Ah, I understand where you're coming from - but I don't agree."

You've turned everything into something it's not - because you don't have a clue what I'm really saying.

Instead of thinking about this rationally - you've formed a fantasy image of a man who enjoys inflicting pain and who is very self-centered. Because that's the only image your mind can manage that matches what you think of my behavior.

No, you haven't been neutral. I'm afraid I'm going to have to consider you to be a dishonest person. A dishonest person who is unwilling to challenge the views held within. You'd rather label me a self-centered and cruel individual - which is MUCH worse than what I've said about you.

You wouldn't be related to Thrasher, by any chance? ;)

Let me rephrase what I was saying:
I couldn't imagine YOU'RE that restricted that your truth can be told in just one way. Isn't it the essence that counts rather than the form?
But apparently you ARE restricted, you can't think of any other way, but the blunt way, to say what you wish to say.

What makes you think I can't think any other way? I could say the same about you - but that's not rational either.

We've both considered all kinds of ways - and we've come to our own through experience and processing that experience.

You told me you:
- you inflict pain
- simply because YOU think it makes sense
- without even the wish to consider how to ease the pain ("If you believe you can always be fully honest and still ease the pain - then we simply disagree", and "I prefer not to manipulate information or try to imagine how it's received", 'it' being your bluntness.)

Another example of you not putting forth the slightest effort of listening. If you can't even read what I'm saying - I honestly don't think this is worth the effort.

I've specifically stated that I prefer people feel good - and that I want to avoid causing pain.

The only reason I cause pain is because I believe it can prevent a greater pain.

Before I started replying in this thread I was more or less neutral towards you, did not dislike you - still don't dislike you - but with every new post of yours in this thread there seems to be more and more distance between us.

I have no interest in your affection or your proximity. Try to appreciate that. Don't make it personal - I don't.

You don't know me - and you very likely never will. Why would I care about your perception when you have almost no tangible knowledge and you're not genuinely interested in understanding me?

You liking me is of seemingly no value.

For the record, I have no problem with you. But I also don't know you very well. But it seems you're a dishonest person - and I don't enjoy exchanging with dishonest people.

I'm sorry but for a moment your excuse ("I do what I do BECAUSE I don't want people to get hurt") made me think of men who beat the shit out of their son, because ' it's good for the boy, that'll turn the softy into man'. They mean to do well? That makes all well?

I'm not sure how that applies to me and I don't need an excuse.

If the man beats his sons because he truly believes it's for their benefit - then I can understand why he's doing it. I don't agree with him - but at least I can understand it.

That said, I don't believe a lot of fathers beat "the shit out of their sons" because they mean well - but because they're mentally unstable. Even so, they may actually mean well.

But they'll have a hard time rationalising it - where as I have a very easy time rationalising my approach.

I think your behavior is self-centered, to say the least.

Yes, that follows.

I think it's safe to assume that we're done here.

well ..didnt read about 90% of this thread, but anyone who has and image of themselves as avatar and leaves replies like the one above have some serious ego problems..

i dont have much experience with you, but i tend to agree with omega. for someone who posts as much as you do, you seem to spend most time arguing that your point is the correct one, and very little time trying to understand other peoples points..

well ..didnt read about 90% of this thread, but anyone who has and image of themselves as avatar and leaves replies like the one above have some serious ego problems..

i dont have much experience with you, but i tend to agree with omega. for someone who posts as much as you do, you seem to spend most time arguing that your point is the correct one, and very little time trying to understand other peoples points..

Thanks for the input :)

I do believe I spend my time in other ways - but if that's your perception, that's your perception.

As for having myself as an Avatar - and how that relates to having ego problems, I'm not sure I follow. I suppose you can give us a rational explanation as support?

For the record, I have no problem with you. (…) But it seems you're a dishonest person - and I don't enjoy exchanging with dishonest people.
I understand where you're coming from - but I don't agree.

I admit Dart entertains me. I usually read most of his walls of text because they fall into 3 general categories a) thoughtful and interesting b) insulting and inflammatory c) completely full of sh*t and using lots of words to amusingly justify his viewpoint.

But we are all full of sh*t at times aren't we? No harm, no foul. It is all in good fun. My only regret is that we don't see more Dart vs. Thrasher. Its all so entertaining.

I admit Dart entertains me. I usually read most of his walls of text because they fall into 3 general categories a) thoughtful and interesting b) insulting and inflammatory c) completely full of sh*t and using lots of words to amusingly justify his viewpoint.

But we are all full of sh*t at times aren't we? No harm, no foul. It is all in good fun. My only regret is that we don't see more Dart vs. Thrasher. Its all so entertaining.

I'll get back to Thrasher after he's licked his wounds and he once again forgets how evil I am.

One day, I should really start a label-collection.

Nazi
Aspberger
Evil
Self-centered
Shitfull

Oh, the list goes on.

I'd make Satan himself blush ;)

I don't think Dart is particulalry honest, though he tries to portray himself as such. And saying the ends justify the means (i.e. Machiavellianism) is a terrible philosophy. It's an argument that's been used by the worst tyrants and as an excuse for some of the most atrocious acts ever committed by man.

I'm not sure if RPGWatch notifies people when they're on ignore - but just to make it clear, you've been on ignore for a few days Thrasher ;)

I hope you're not wasting your inevitably kind words on me!

I'll get back to Thrasher after he's licked his wounds and he once again forgets how evil I am.

One day, I should really start a label-collection.

Nazi
Aspberger
Evil
Self-centered
Shitfull

Oh, the list goes on.

I'd make Satan himself blush ;)

You forgot Tool. Perhaps it is simply implied

It's good with people who have a bit of self-distance... ooo wait this is a bashing thread......

It is horrible with people who know how bad they are and do nothing about it!!!!!!

Maybe we should "sticky" this thread? ;)

Everytime I "shit" on a game by being blunt about my issues with it, people can come here and call me a terrible person instead of trying to prove my opinion wrong.

It would seem more productive, smart and less thread destructive ;)

Back
Top Bottom