Favorite RPG Villian

Which of the following would be most close to your greatest RPG villian?

• Sephiroth (Final Fantasy 7)

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Jon Irenicus (Baldur's Gate 2)

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Kerghan (Arcanum)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Walton Simons (Deus Ex)

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • The Master (Fallout)

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Deidiranna (Jagged Allience 2)

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Sarevok (Baldur's Gate)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Todd Howard (killer of RPG genre)

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters

Mareus Durante

Watcher
When I wrote my last post I came to an interesting idea and I was wondering which was your favorite RPG villian?

I also made a poll with some of my favorite villians, but feel free to type any character that captured your imagination. It doesn't need to be from RPG genre, although I think you will have a hard time finding a good villian in other genres.

PS. My choice is Sephiroth, but i voted Todd Howard. :D

Last edited:
I think I've seen similar poll somewhere else... but anyway my vote goes for Irenicus ;)

Todd Howard was the project leader on Morrowind, one of my top5 CRPG's of all time.
So I'm gonna have to object you nominating him as the killer of rpg genre.

He also worked as a designer on Daggerfall, not in my top5 - but still a game that wipes the floor with most of the games mentioned in your poll.

I really like the attitude of Shodan (System Shock 1/2), but somehow The Guardian from Ultima VII and Underworld II is my favourite villain. God-like, witty, sexy. (Ultima IX was a real downer in this context, because the game made him just another dumb overlord.)

Oh, and I somehow like the good, old Kor Kalom from Gothic. But fanatics are easy targets.

Todd Howard was the project leader on Morrowind, one of my top5 CRPG's of all time.
So I'm gonna have to object you nominating him as the killer of rpg genre.

He also worked as a designer on Daggerfall, not in my top5 - but still a game that wipes the floor with most of the games mentioned in your poll.

I didn't know he was a project leader on Morrowind. Morrowind is a great game! Even without mods! God damn... what happened to him?

Voted Irenicus, but it was a very tough call between him and Sarevok. Also, Kreia from KotOR2 is well done, probably the most fleshed out villian I've encountered.

My vote went to Irenicus because of the way he really made me want to slap him silly, but at the same time managed to get me to respect him (in a sort-of-strange-way).

Todd Howard has been at Bethesda since Arena. I believe he's worked on all the TES games.

Todd Howard - instead of lurking at the deepest level of some dungeon he spreads evil and destroys all that is good and true in RPGs - other villains try destroy one world, but he and his imitators are responsible that all new RPG-Worlds are stupid...

Hands down it's SHODAN, but that's not in your list!!

Hands down it's SHODAN, but that's not in your list!!

Sorry, but I don't actually remember who Shodan is? Maybe I didn't even play that game. Just put in some of my favorites ;)
But no one can beat Todd Howard.

SHODAN is from System Shock ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, SHODAN was great. I also liked Darth Revan from KOTOR, Darth Traya from KOTOR 2, and The Transcendent One from Planescape: Torment. Honorable mention to the antagonist of The Witcher.

All of these have one thing in common: they're complex characters with reasons for being what they are, and the game largely revolves around the twists and turns of discovering these reasons. They manage to transcend the Evil Overlord Who's Evil Because He's Evil cliché very well.

I thought it was from System Shock.

Yeah, I don't remember anything close to the name Shodan in Deus Ex and I haven't played System Shock, but a quick Google search confirms my memory (Or lack of).

But well, I voted Todd Howard (Even though he shouldn't have been included in the poll). As an in-game villain I would have voted Dagoth Ur. He's one-sidedly evil, yes, but the great lore of The Elder Scrolls makes him interesting. The great background story in Morrowind makes the whole game interesting.
But I must admit I haven't experienced a RPG villain yet that made any bigger impression. But then again, villains are seldom interesting.

Voted for Irenicus, but honorable mentions to The Witcher's ambiguous bad guy, the turnaround ending of The Sleeper in Gothic and the Dark Savant in Wizardry, as a more classic example.

Out of that list I had to go with Jon Irenicus...

I had to go with Irenicus, only because I only knew of him and Saravok, and I didn't find Saravok to be that good.

I would agree that the Guardian of Ultima VII was the best. The fact that his ugly mug kept showing up on the screen and taunting you was classic!

Back
Top Bottom