Eschalon: Book 1 - Review Part 1 @ Twenty Sided

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The first part of an Eschalon review is up at a site called Twenty Sided, who we've linked once before. This part is mostly setting the scene, so there isn't a lot to say at this point:
Like Oblivion, Morrowwind, and Fallout, most of your success in the game is dependant not on your attributes, but on the skills you’ve mastered. There are 24 in all, from Swords to Elemental Magic to Lockpicking. Note that while you start out with certain skills, you’re free to pick up new ones any time you level up. This means that you’re pretty much free to make up your own character class if you want, although this freedom does mean it’s possible to cripple your character in the long run. On my first play-through I was a fighter with a bunch of rogue skills. These extra skills spread my skill points too thin, and I ended up with a guy who was mediocre at a lot of things instead of great at a few things. This made the game really hard, and I was obliged to abandon that character and begin again. The game expects and even demands a little min-maxing, so if you want to explore all the different skills you’re going to have to play through the game more than once.
More information.

Good ol' Shamus of 'DMotR' fame :)

Back
Top Bottom