The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Alright, when this EP came out, I thought it had some of the most perfect music on it. Unfortunately, I can't find the original version of Drill from the EP but this is great too. Ah what joyful noise.

Wire - A Serious of Snake

From The Ideal Copy
Wire - Ambitious
Wire - Ahead

From A Bell Is a Cup … Until It Is Struck
Wire - Kidney Bingos

Wire - Dot Dash (single)

From Pink Flag
Wire - 1 2 X U

From 154
Wire - Map Ref. 41°N 93°W
Wire - I should have known better

And this is very manic (at times), but I find it brilliant when less crazed. Overall it's more punk than post punk, but that could be debated.

Wire - On The Box (live at rockpalast 1979)

A dark and brooding synth pop and industrial solo project called He Said by Graham Lewis was one my favorites back then, but warning, this has a lot of very dark sounding stuff, but yet still exceptional. Think Depeche Mode with much much much more atmosphere and quite a bit less pop. Clan of Xymox mixed with Kate Bush (from The Dreaming period) would be a closer match, perhaps.

Sadly some of the sounds do date this work to the 80's, but it still sounds innovative after all these years. Don't listen to this if you're having a bad day. ;) The compositions are truly exceptional, I think.

He Said - Hail

This is probably one of the most accessible off the album, and not depressing. :)
He Said - Do You Mean That

OK, enough digging through the archives for now… :)

Last edited:
Hmm, I forgot how cool this album was/is.

HE SAiD - Take Care

that tracklist is missing one of the best from the album though, track 3

HE SAiD - Could You?

This is late eighties, verging into industrial Wax Trax style ala Ministry, Front 242, My Life with the Thrill Kill Cult, etc… territory with lots of found sounds but more mellow with much less screaming and less thrash guitars. It has some softer Vangelis-like tracks, as well as being rather hypnotic. Interesting.

Last edited:
Once again I have to mention Trans-Siberian Orchestra. As I had the opportunity to watch them play in a three hour Christmas concert last year as a X-Mas gift.

I found it!

Wire - Drill

Too bad it's a little sped up…

Live Version

Still find this very entertaining. Simple tastes I suppose. :)

It sort of gets me in the mind of hypnotic pluckers like Pink Floyd One of These Days or Interstellar Overdrive, but more frantic of course.

Last edited:
I should be working, but Ive spent the majority of my morning reading up on faction/race/profession/unit/etc stats and differences for Endless Legend and Fallen Enchantress:LH, and listening to this:

Phish Fall Tour 2013 Jam Compilation

I should be working, but Ive spent the majority of my morning reading up on faction/race/profession/unit/etc stats and differences for Endless Legend and Fallen Enchantress:LH, and listening to this:

Phish Fall Tour 2013 Jam Compilation

Sounds a lot like Dead jams. Nice stuff. And the audience appears the same. Funny!

EDIT: Liking the hypnotic influences. Added to my favorites. Thanks!

Last edited:
Seems like new Wilson rec is finally listenable on tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIyvIRrRB3M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaWPDIDA-cs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6bF6oKJKKQ

Songs are really cool, but the sound, the sound is like the best ever :).
Just check the solo at 4:00+ in the third track.

I had a nice buzz when I came home, put on the headphones, and listened to this. That is some wonderful stuff. For me, the stuff Ive heard from Wilson (basically Porcupine Tree and a few other things) kind of picks up the mantle of what Pink Floyd should have become had Gilmore not turned to the more elevator-music type stuff (IMHO) though its a bit heavier at times than PF really ever got. This is great! Wilson always has such spacey / intricate / layered music

picks up the mantle of what Pink Floyd should have become had Gilmore not turned to the more elevator-music type stuff
Pretty much how I hear it too (though Gilmour has always been my fav Pink Floyd member).
I´ve always found Wilson´s "solo" records a bit derivative compositionally, including the latest one, but that latest one has such an amazing sound/mix I don´t care at all, it´s the best sounding 70´s prog record to date :).

Oh man, I just found out Steve Wilson is playing two nights in New York City. Friday May 29th and Saturday May 30th. The Saturday night show only has upper mezzanine seats left, but the Friday show has lower mezz and upper mezz seats. For a show like that, with such a good light show, I wouldnt really care if Im up high. Its not an overly huge venue (Best Buy Theater). Probably going to pull the trigger and check this one out

Last edited:
Seems like new Wilson rec is finally listenable on tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIyvIRrRB3M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaWPDIDA-cs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6bF6oKJKKQ

Songs are really cool, but the sound, the sound is like the best ever :).
Just check the solo at 4:00+ in the third track.

Very cool. Really like the instrumental parts the best. Thanks for that.

He'll be in LA in June at the Wiltern, which is a REALLY great small theater venue. Sadly, only crappy seats remain. I may see what frees up at the last minute. :)

But, is this him playing all the parts? If so, how will that work live?

Some info about Steve Wilson's US/Canada Tour band:

I’m very happy to announce that I will be starting the Americas leg of the Hand. Cannot. Erase. tour with a show in Chile at the Teatro Cariola in Santiago on 8th May. This will also be the first show with a changed band line up, as Guthrie Govan and Marco Minnemann will be departing at the end of the European tour to fulfill touring commitments with their own band The Aristocrats. These 2 guys were always going to be a very hard act to follow, but I’m very pleased to introduce two world class British musicians in the shape of Dave Kilminster on guitar, and Craig Blundell on drums.

Many of you will know that for the last 8 years Dave has been the principal guitar player in the Roger Waters band (if you saw The Wall show you will have seen him on top of the Wall playing the solo at the end of Comfortably Numb!), while Craig has primarily concentrated on being an international clinician for Premier, Roland and Paiste. Both are extraordinarily gifted musicians and I’m honoured to welcome them to the SW band.

SW band lineup changes for Americas/Canada shows

Back
Top Bottom