Choice of smartphone

Nowadays you have a multitude of Android smartphones, many of them offering very good value at very cheap prices, such as the Nexus 5 or the Moto G. However there are many problems associated with the platform, such as sluggishness, mediocre proprietary Interfaces, lots of manufacturer or carrier apps, overbroad permissions system that you can't restrict without rooting and installation of special privacy software, and most of all Google collecting tons of information about you in every respect.

You have Blackberry, who are not the giant that they used to be, but who still have a niche among dedicated professional users and enviable things going for them, such as physical keyboards, a good new OS, very good security features, entirely configurable permissions, among others.

Lastly there is Apple, who has lost marketshare but remains a force to be reckoned with. Their app store is very locked down and their OS as well, although they've shown themselves to be a bit more open on that. They also included some more privacy options, and obviously since they make their money by selling hardware and not your data they're not disturbing dataminers like Google. The advantage is that since they control both the manufacturing of the hardware and the software, their phones run very well, have long battery life and don't have any clutter. Although outrageously they raised their prices a lot with the iPhone 6 line.

I got an HTC One X in 2002 which I gave to a cousin when I got a Nexus 5 on its release since I really wanted a 1080P screen. I ended up selling it to someone I know because I wanted to see if I liked the AMOLED screen of the Samsung Galaxy S5 better, which is the one I use right now. I don't like Samsung's proprietary interfaces and apps, and it was pretty expensive but it is sleek and fast.

I think I will sell it as well and get an iPhone 6 Plus because I think I prefer Apple's integration of hardware and software, and the app store is better quality. Plus I don't like how Google Play sends your personal information to every developer you buy an app from. I'm keeping a cheap Blackberry with keyboard around for when I really want phone with a keyboard, like when I'm on the go and need to respond to work e-mails.

Most top phones are overpriced. Iphone6 production costs were around 10-15% of its price so the company is making good profit for shareholders if you buy its phone.

Android is getting totally new version in near future that will be more efficient in using resources. Also i doubt the top android phones are that sluggish. They have the best hardware.

If you want best deal for your money buy oneplus one phone. Costs around 300€ but specswise is equal or better than most 700€ phones.

For $300, no other phone comes close to what the OnePlus One offers. Not only does it look and feel like a premium device, but it also comes with specs similar to what you'd find in a flagship smartphone.

http://www.engadget.com/products/oneplus/one/

That is going to be my next phone if i buy one. Im done making samsung and apple shareholders rich for nothing.

Last edited:
The OnePlus One has big specs but they do make sacrifices. I'm not sure the quality control is all that good. I also read stories of sluggishness problems associated with it. And I wouldn't buy from an obscure brand that would offer no support in my home country, or where it would be difficult to find support for such a gizmo.

My problem also is that with Android, the OS will phone home to Google to send and query many types of sensitive data no matter what you do. Even with something like CyanogenMod it still does that. I have not seen a fork of Android that completely eliminates any google stuff, except for the Blackphone which is meant for privacy but has limited specs and is very expensive.

To me the Iphone looks like the most convenient way to avoid headaches and get most of the features I want.

Apple has always had big profit margins but it's not anywhere close to 90%. But even if they do, they're able to squeeze the best components for such prices since they're extremely demanding toward their suppliers.

The OnePlus One has big specs but they do make sacrifices. I'm not sure the quality control is all that good. I also read stories of sluggishness problems associated with it. And I wouldn't buy from an obscure brand that would offer no support in my home country, or where it would be difficult to find support for such a gizmo.
There are plenty of reviews and they are all good. As for quality control its a known issue that iphone 6 bends.

700€ phone…where is the quality?
-514668.jpg

My main issue with ihpone is the price. No phone is worth 700€ anymore. Every year we get new phones, yet every year there is less and less difference. By now its just waste of money to spend 700€ on new phone.

As for 300€ thats more what top phones should cost unless they are made of gold and diamonds.

Also apple isnt what it used to be. Just look at the horrid ios update (ios7) they did to my ipad year or two ago. After Steve they slowly lost their way. Now they are just copying what samsung is doing i.e with the iwatches or what ever they are called.

I never liked the look of ios7…it ruined my 700€ ipad…it looks like crap now.

Apple (AAPL) described the revamped look of its upcoming iOS 7 software as "stunning," with "an elegant color palette" and typography that's been "refined for a cleaner, simpler look."

But a chorus of critics is chiming in with negative reviews of the mobile operating system.

The Atlantic reported that some designers were calling Apple's new flat-looking iOS user interface "ugly," "harsh" and "blinding."

Joshua Topolsky, a writer at the Verge, said the iOS 7 design is confusing and inconsistent.

Criticism of Apple's new color scheme was particularly rough.
"Am I alone in thinking the iOS 7 home screen icons look ugly, poorly balanced, and of an unattractive color (palette)?" Circa CEO Matt Galligan wrote.

http://news.investors.com/technolog...-aapl-facing-backlash-over-ios-7-redesign.htm

Most top phones are overpriced. Iphone6 production costs were around 10-15% of its price so the company is making good profit for shareholders if you buy its phone.

Actually it is more like 45 - 50% ... tear-downs estimate the *component cost* and typically come up with ~30%, which of course doesn't account for manufacturing costs and other expenses (not to mention marketing). That is true for all of the top makers.

Android is getting totally new version in near future that will be more efficient in using resources. Also i doubt the top android phones are that sluggish. They have the best hardware.

Then you haven't done the comparisons. The iPhone 5 was faster than the Galaxy Note 3 in general operation, in spite of the Note 3 being newer by more than a year and having better 'on paper' specs.

The difference? The OS. Android is a less efficient OS due to the flexibility and modular design. Everything has trade-offs.

As for the 'what to get' thing ... well, my basic advice would be to get what works best with those around you. Particularly with Apple, if everyone around you is using iPhones, you will benefit tremendously from also having one. I had Android from the start, but then we got my wife and kids iPhones, and now all of both of our extended families are on iOS, so when I moved back to Android recently ... it was a hassle, so I bought an iPhone 6 and it is much better again. Oh well ...

I've been quite happy with the last couple of Android phones I've owned. I get them from work, and we have the choice between iPhone and Android.

I tend to use my phone as a phone, and not a computer. As a phone, I prefer Android. As a computer, I'd say it depends. There are way more apps on iPhones - but that's slowly changing.

Performance? I've yet to suffer any performance issues for phone related stuff. That said, my old Android (HTC Sensation, I think it was called) would sometimes slow down when I'd been messing around with the Camera a lot and such things. But I'd just reboot and it would be fine for weeks.

My current phone (HTC One) is very fast and slick. But, as I said, I use it as a phone more than anything.

If you want a small computer, I suggest looking into a tablet. The Google Nexus is great - as is the iPad Mini.

Actually it is more like 45 - 50% … tear-downs estimate the *component cost* and typically come up with ~30%, which of course doesn't account for manufacturing costs and other expenses (not to mention marketing). That is true for all of the top makers.
According to this iphone6 material costs are around 160-170€ while the phone itself costs 700€ here.
http://taskumuro.com/ihs-iphone-6n-materiaalikulut-alle-160-iphone-6-plussan-reilu-170-

The difference? The OS. Android is a less efficient OS due to the flexibility and modular design. Everything has trade-offs.
Android is getting more efficient versions in future. Thats something thats been in the news this year.

As for the 'what to get' thing … well, my basic advice would be to get what works best with those around you. Particularly with Apple, if everyone around you is using iPhones, you will benefit tremendously from also having one. I had Android from the start, but then we got my wife and kids iPhones, and now all of both of our extended families are on iOS, so when I moved back to Android recently … it was a hassle, so I bought an iPhone 6 and it is much better again. Oh well …
In the past I payd 500€ for each phone I got N85, N8 and samsung S3. Now the flagships phiones cost 700€ yet the differences are much smaller.

Im betting phone prices will come down in future since flagship phones are simply overpriced nowadays. The 300€ that oneplus one costs is more reasonable. 700€-1000€ that samsung and apple ask is just ridiculous.

There are plenty of reviews and they are all good. As for quality control its a known issue that iphone 6 bends.

700€ phone…where is the quality?
-514668.jpg

My main issue with ihpone is the price. No phone is worth 700€ anymore. Every year we get new phones, yet every year there is less and less difference. By now its just waste of money to spend 700€ on new phone.

As for 300€ thats more what top phones should cost unless they are made of gold and diamonds.

Also apple isnt what it used to be. Just look at the horrid ios update (ios7) they did to my ipad year or two ago. After Steve they slowly lost their way. Now they are just copying what samsung is doing i.e with the iwatches or what ever they are called.

I never liked the look of ios7…it ruined my 700€ ipad…it looks like crap now.

I agree I really didn't like the look of ios7 and still don't, though it seems the unpleasant parts of the visual design have been lessened with ios8.

As for "phone bending" it probably exists, but I don't take anything I read in the mainstream media about Apple seriously. I find it pathetic how they are obsessed with the must mundane iPhone news and feature them prominently as it was a world crisis.

I agree it's expensive, but I can afford it and I use my phone every day so if it has some advantages for me it is worth it.

Actually it is more like 45 - 50% … tear-downs estimate the *component cost* and typically come up with ~30%, which of course doesn't account for manufacturing costs and other expenses (not to mention marketing). That is true for all of the top makers.

Then you haven't done the comparisons. The iPhone 5 was faster than the Galaxy Note 3 in general operation, in spite of the Note 3 being newer by more than a year and having better 'on paper' specs.

As for the 'what to get' thing … well, my basic advice would be to get what works best with those around you. Particularly with Apple, if everyone around you is using iPhones, you will benefit tremendously from also having one. I had Android from the start, but then we got my wife and kids iPhones, and now all of both of our extended families are on iOS, so when I moved back to Android recently … it was a hassle, so I bought an iPhone 6 and it is much better again. Oh well …

Yes, this. An OS that is made to run on the broadest variety of phones from dozens of manufacturers will simply never be as efficient as one made specifically for three or four specific pieces of hardware all from the same manufacturer. Not to mention that Android apps run atop a Java-like virtual machine.

As for "phone bending" it probably exists, but I don't take anything I read in the mainstream media about Apple seriously. I find it pathetic how they are obsessed with the must mundane iPhone news and feature them prominently as it was a world crisis.
I wouldnt buy a 700€ phone that bends in the pocket or that can be bent simply by slight bending it.

Anyways Apple dealt a good revenge to the iphone bender who tested the issue: http://www.computerbild.de/artikel/...BILD-An-open-letter-to-Tim-Cook-10953399.html

This was the test:
When the iPhone 6 Plus finally hit the market we noticed a few reports on a possible problem. According to them the case seemed to be weak, “bendable”, to drop the evil word. Being popular for our tests with utmost scrutiny, we could not leave the subject without comment. Of course that required further tests since testing new products without any prejudice is our obligation to our readers.

And so we bought an iPhone 6 Plus, just to find out whether it was a singular problem or some kind of hoax. The test was quite simple, so we could easily record it on video. Just to prove that what happens is nothing but the truth.

To be honest: We were shocked about how easy it was to bend the device. And so were around 200.000 viewers who watched the video up until now. We can imagine that you and your colleagues must have been shocked, too. This might have been the reason why we got a call from one of your german colleagues the next morning. He was upset, and it was a rather short conversation. “From now on”, he said, “you won’t get any devices for testing purposes and you will not be invited to Apple events in the future.”
Lesson learned. If you want device for testing purposes and invitiations to apple events:"When testing apple devices, dont report negative things or else".

Last edited:
Yeah 'bendgate' ... ugh. Two thoughts:
- Take something very thin and light with a long bend axis, put holes in the side that occupy 50%+ of the side edge ... and you WILL have a weak point in the superstructure.
- The Consumer Reports test, while imperfect in many ways, shows a better frame of reference.
- The 'bender' has been debunked in terms of the methods used. His 'retest' was even more easily debunked.

Look I fully agree with you that Apple is very controlling and vindictive. I do still think their iPhone has many advantages. And I doubt the bending is really anything but a few isolated cases.

Really the reason the media is so obsessed with Apple news is that the iPhone has become the penultimate ready made status symbol. People feel upper middle class by worrying about such mundane problems with their status symbol icon that is easily accessible and inexpensive.

Well, it seems relatively obvious that Apple peaked a while ago. They had a dying egomaniac running the show, so the motivation was in place.

That's the past, though.

Unless something serious changes - it's downhill from here for a while. Maybe a comeback down the line, 10-15 years from now.

You heard it here first :)

Yes, this. An OS that is made to run on the broadest variety of phones from dozens of manufacturers will simply never be as efficient as one made specifically for three or four specific pieces of hardware all from the same manufacturer. Not to mention that Android apps run atop a Java-like virtual machine.
I would compare android vs apple to pc vs consoles. I mean yes developers can get out more from ps4 but still pc:s offer more, because they simply have better hardware.

Personally I dont think Apple is anymore the status symbol it was once during Steve Jobs era. Android has taken over the market almost completely.
http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-v-android-market-share-2014-5

Android squeeshing life out of alternatives:
smartphoneosmarketshare.png

But its good that there are alternatives. So Im not blaming anyone for buying 700€ iphone, infact I would encourage them to do it. :)

Personally I never really liked my galaxy s3 android. Not sure if its the updates that did it or what but I think the s3 sucks. Its good for phone calls and light internet browsing and banking management but little else.

But Im not buying iphone either for 700€ especially after ios7 and loss of Steve Jobs. So its best bang for buck now and that is oneplus one:
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/oneplus-one-1244307/review

My better-half has year old windows phone and its a piece of crap too. Dont know if its the updates or what but the phone goes black regulary needing a boot and also its no good for phone calls because of mic-problem.

I think that every phone I have ever bought is actually a disapointment so that must be why im quitting this trend of buying 500€ phones. Money does not guarantee quality when it comes to flagship phones.

Maybe I should try to stop the updates for the next phone I get. Phone usually works great when I buy it but with year or two of os updates…it becomes something else.

Sorry for long rant.

Last edited:
IMO you should buy the cheapest smartphone you can find.
It's all the same *** new wrapping.
And when it dies, big deal, toss it, buy another.

Just make sure you can install Viber on it.

I would not count Apple out any time soon, even with Steve Jobs gone they still have many brilliant and talented people working for them. Steve Jobs was simply the mouthpiece of the company, but all the actual work was done by his underlings.

Even though their marketshare is dwindling, their actual sales and profits are rising, and they have a large contingent of very dedicated people.

The comparison with Macs and Windows are apt, but they are not going to become as marginal as macs, simply because of the quality of the app store ecosystem, and because the iPhone has succeeded a lot more than the Mac at becoming at every day, ready made high status symbol.

I don't like that I'm beginning to sound like an Apple fanboy, which I'm anything but. In fact I am greatly aggravated by their hipster fanbase. To me they are just the lesser "evil". At least they're not obsessed with tracking everything I do like Google. I don't like how Android is becoming such a Trojan horse.

The only mean to get an Android phone without a Trojan horse is either using the blackphone or the Amazon phone, where both Android forks purge all "phoning home" to Google.

I would not count Apple out any time soon, even with Steve Jobs gone they still have many brilliant and talented people working for them. Steve Jobs was simply the mouthpiece of the company, but all the actual work was done by his underlings.

Even though their marketshare is dwindling, their actual sales and profits are rising, and they have a large contingent of very dedicated people.

The comparison with Macs and Windows are apt, but they are not going to become as marginal as macs, simply because of the quality of the app store ecosystem, and because the iPhone has succeeded a lot more than the Mac at becoming at every day, ready made high status symbol.

I'm not counting anyone out, I'm just saying they've peaked a while ago. It's not an opinion, it's fact if you look at statistics.

Personally, I couldn't care less who's in charge of this largely superfluous shit - but I'd simply advise against this blind faith in Apple.

As for brilliant people, I wouldn't know. Also, I don't consider people like Jobs brilliant - he was just driven and obviously didn't mind sacrificing most of what's appealing about being human to succeed.

That kind of leadership is, unfortunately, a huge factor in succeeding in the absolutely insanely cutthroat world of business.

He created a need in people that was never there - and he convinced them his products were best at fulfilling it. That's impressive, if hardly brilliant.

People are weak and stupid, so convincing them isn't rocket science.

In short never get an iPhone, not only is it overpriced and you lock yourself into the apple ecosystem:

it is funny just when I was reading this thread I had the following chat with a customer I was trying to call:

"Why don't you pick up?"
"Something is wrong with my phone?"
"Is it an Iphone?"
"Yes"

I have never received a no to that question, and I do a lot of calls.

Recently in a meeting 6 people connected, one person cannot be heard.

"Do you have a iPhone per any chance?"
"Yes"

I also asked that question a lot, not even once did I get a no.

I've been very happy with the Nexus line of phones. I've had the 1, 3 and now the 5. The 5 is a great value (I paid $450 for the 32 GB one w/tax and shipping when it first came out) and I'll be skipping the 6 for sure as the quality for the 5 is great also. Its easily unlocked and rooted, tons of neat ROMS out there if you like. I used to ROM the phones alot but now Android is pretty polished so I just root and stick a few programs on it that need root like a good adblock program.

I don't understand why no one is starting an Android fork like Cyanogen that removes anything Google and any sending of data to Google.

My Sony Z1 was my first Smartphone and I'm very happy with it. Solid, very good battery, fast, good resolution and screen… I'd always go for Sony now...
BTW, any Magic tcg players here? There's a great Android app out there, optimized for smartphone use, and it works durprisingly good (given that screen sizes are small)… http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=14534
My wife has that Blackberry z10. Plus: Very good, intuitive and solid OS, as for companies I'd definitely go for this instead of Apple devices which make employees want to play with it. I really love that thing. I didn't expect something that good from rim.
But well, "nobody" develops for BB, so there's not much or sometimes lacking apps, so it's rather uninteresting for people outside of their job.

Back
Top Bottom