RPGWatch - Game of the Year Awards 2014

Nice. Keepin' it classy with posters like this, RPG Watch.
Well the post is now deleted.:police:

I will issue a warning to every member to keep it clean from now on. Don't forget members can also report these type of comments so I can moderate them.
Oh, snap. I just got lumped in with Grimoire on the vaporware list.
Not really as I believe your game will be out before Grimoire.:biggrin:

Last edited:
I'm going to have to go with DA:I as the best RPG of 2014, very much against my own expectation.

Might and Magic X and Legend of Grimrock 2 my highlights from 2014! Witcher 3 and Pillars of Eternity have my full attention from 2015. DA:I was a great disapointment imo cause of the terrible port (menus,inventory,camera etc.) and the worst combat system I've seen on a party based cRPG.

A question to the RPGWatch Team, are you doing an Editors Choice award as well as a Readers Choice award?
Yes we are but we still need a few more votes from the staff members. The results will be posted at the same time with the community picks, or at a latter date.

Last edited:
Hum. Angry Joe gave risen 3 worse game of the year award (#10 on a list of 10). Never played the game myself but find it amusing how one person best game is another person worse game.
-
You know I didn't vote for MM-X; but I do think the game was generally under-rated. I also didn't vote for Xulima (which I finished); and I think it is over-rated (it is a good game and starts very strong but ends on a whimper (imho)). I never did say which games I voted for and I don't think I should but I picked the games that I enjoyed playing - not necessary the deepest rpg; or most replayability or most likely to play again or longest play time (xulima is an example of a game that could be shorten a bit imho) but games that I really found enjoyable. Hum. A lot of good games for 2015 - too many I guess esp if they all turn out good.

Angry Joe is trying to make a meme of the Risen series since Risen 1 for his audience to laugh at. He doesn't get the game at all. No way Risen deserves this.
But then again, why expect better from youtube personalities?

While I didn't think much of Frayed Knights, I'm quite sure your games will outsell Grimoire as you actually finish your product. If the game follows Ben and the rest, I'll avoid it like the plague. Couldn't like the group, so couldn't like the game. Will still follow everything you post though as I like you as a writer, just not "so far" as a developer.

Same with Steven Peeler. I keep an eye on him as one day he may decide to make a full-fledged crpg instead of quasi-strat-rogue-with some rpg stuff :)

Back on topic, I look forward to to completion of Grim Dawn. This is a very good game already, but it ends without an ending. If 2015 is the year of Grim Dawn then I'm a happy camper. If someone has played Paths of Exile and Grim Dawn, I'd love a comparison of the two. I've never played PoE, as I think it's only multiplayer. Not sure.

I really liked Frayed knight 1 looking forward to the next
I also really liked MM X but I played it too early and on a xp machine and the bugs in the later game made it unplayable will go back

This is the first year (since rpgwatch started) when I really had to think about what to vote for and also the first year when I could have voted for a lot of games and also feel that there are a lot of games that I haven´t had the time to try out

wow, after looking at that list I'm shocked I haven't actually played anything on that list. In fact, I didn't even know that Wasteland 2 and Legend of Grimrock 2 were out till recently. I picked up SR: Dragonfall over the Christmas sales.

I think thanks to mobile I don't feel motivated to pay $40 for a game anymore. I don't even want to pay $5-10 for old classics on XBox.

I think thanks to mobile I don't feel motivated to pay $40 for a game anymore. I don't even want to pay $5-10 for old classics on XBox.

PC gamers who aren't focused on AAA titles and can wait at least half a year or plan ahead almost never had to pay such a price during the recent years.

Sure, Divinity:OS and Wasteland 2 were more expensive. But with planning ahead (Kickstarter: 25$ for Divinity / 15$ for Wasteland) or with waiting for a sale (Winter Sale: 27$ for Divinity / 20$ for Wasteland) you can get even the more expensive games for decent prices, while most games have a normal price which is quite low (Dragonfall: 15$, Grimrock 2: 24$, MMX: 25$, Lords of Xulima: 20$).
And I don't speak about prices set by those pages who are in a legal grey zone and rip off Steam/Publishers/Developers by selling keys intended for a different market (never used them and never will use them).

Never understood how people can spent tons of money, like 70$ on a new game for a console. That's just insane to me.

And I don't speak about prices set by those pages who are in a legal grey zone and rip off Steam/Publishers/Developers by selling keys intended for a different market (never used them and never will use them).
I used to be an adventurer like you, but then…
http://forum.bioware.com/topic/538464-how-to-buy-bioware-points-for-cheap-sale-or-no-sale/

Scam the scammer.
I don't to it nor would do it for the game. And this is not about a game. I bought only the stuff mentioned in that thread from key resellers who obviously got those intended for different market.

Never understood how people can spent tons of money, like 70$ on a new game for a console. That's just insane to me.
Neither can I.
Then again, it's an exclusive. Usually an exclusive crap, but since it's exclusive, people will pay any price to have an exclusive.

Sure, Divinity:OS and Wasteland 2 were more expensive. But with planning ahead (Kickstarter: 25$ for Divinity / 15$ for Wasteland) or with waiting for a sale (Winter Sale: 27$ for Divinity / 20$ for Wasteland) you can get even the more expensive games for decent prices, while most games have a normal price which is quite low (Dragonfall: 15$, Grimrock 2: 24$, MMX: 25$, Lords of Xulima: 20

I agree. And I love the feature on Steam where you can put a game on a «wish list» and it warns you by email when there is a sale for this game. Got me to buy Endless Legend and Wasteland 2 recently.

I agree. And I love the feature on Steam where you can put a game on a «wish list» and it warns you by email when there is a sale for this game. Got me to buy Endless Legend and Wasteland 2 recently.

Both very good choices.

My votes:

Best of 2014:
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Divinity: Original Sin
Wasteland 2

Most antecipated:
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Pillars of Eternity
Torment: Tides of Numenera (even being very difficult a 2015 release)

Best of 2014:

#1 Shadowrun: Dragonfall- Director's Cut
#2 Divinity: Original Sin
#3 Lords of Xulima

In fairness I haven't played Wasteland 2, Dead State, or JA: F at all yet, but I have decided to wait for further patches on all of these games.

Back
Top Bottom