BG TuTu question

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist
Purpleblob can probably answer this best, but I thought I just throw it out to everyone so it's there for reference.

I'm installedin Baldur's Gate again, and decided to use the TuTu mod to play it in the BG2 engine. I remember when I did BG1 originally, I installed the level cap remover mod so that you could advance beyond the 8th level. Is that necessary in TuTu? Or is it irrelevant since BG2 has a much higher cap?

Thanks!

I wouldn't mess with a level cap remover for BG1, there's no point in it. The difficulty level of the game fits perfectly with the allowable character levels.

Since you're playing in the BG2 engine, the BG2 level cap is used, IIRC. It's been a while since I played through BGTutu, but I think my characters were beyond level 10 when I finished.

JDR,

The first time I played through BG1, got to the end and no matter what I did, I could NOT beat the boss. Maybe I just suck at AD&D strategy! I removed the level cap, got to about level 10-11 on each character and was able to finish it.

Again, maybe I just suck!

It's not just you. Seravok and his minions are hard to defeat. Oh, just one advice, don't ever pick sorcerer. Can you imagine playing lv 1 sorcerer?? You will be stuck with just one spell for a long, long time.

Yes Seravok and company are pretty tough, the key is to isolate them and not allow them to attack as a group.

Also did you play with the 'Tales of the Sword Coast' expansion installed? If you play through those areas then Sarevok doesn't seems as hard by the time you get to him.

I also found Sarevok very hard to fight - even with the expansion. The trick here is, as said, to draw them out one by one - and keep sending hordes and hordes of summoned monsters at Sarevok & goons. Again, magic missile and chromatic orbs are great here.

I agree, Sarevok is hard to fight. I was able to beat him (within the level cap) with summons to distract him while dispatching the rest of his menagerie. Or something like that.

I was not playing Tutu, I found it pretty buggy, especially around Beregost and the surrounding areas. After the 4th time I had to start all over again I abandoned the idea.

From memory, Sorc wasn't a class in BG!! I played a Wiz with one spell; the challenge was staying alive long enough to level up!!

It didnt help that BGTutu allowed me to make Minsc an animal trainer. That was a huge weakening in my party.

If I recall, I beat Sarevok with lots of conjuring and the loss of pretty much everyone in my party. By then I did not care and uninstalled the game 30 seconds after completion. I started hating the game as soon as I arrived in the city proper and got the curse.

From memory, Sorc wasn't a class in BG!! I played a Wiz with one spell; the challenge was staying alive long enough to level up!!

yes, there isn't sorcerer class in ORIGINAL BG1... but if you play it with Tutu installed then you can play sorcerer! =p

Also did you play with the 'Tales of the Sword Coast' expansion installed? If you play through those areas then Sarevok doesn't seems as hard by the time you get to him.

Yeah I wasn't a big fan of ToSC, just didn't seem to fit with the story as well. Good for the XP though!

Last edited:
So far no problems with TuTu. The Beregost bug seems to be easy to check for and avoid though.

All I can say though is that I started yesterday morning, and within moments, I was hooked again. I have zero desire to play NWN2 right now!

Last edited:
Got a question too for those more familiar with the BG games and AD&D ruleset. I noticed it's possible to raise Imoen's Open Locks skill above 100. Is that necessary? Are there any benefits at all of having one of the thievery skills > 100?

I read somewhere that for pickpocketing, 100 doesn't necessarily mean 100%, because the skill is used against the target's observation skills or something. What are good values?

I haven't used pickpocket much and I can't think of a (not magical) Lock that I couldn't open with Lockpicking 100. But I remember that at least studded Leather is creating some Penalty for the Skills, so you don't have to change the Armor before opening Locks if you raise the Skills above 100. IIRC the XP-Bonus for opening/disarming is sometimes higher with a higher Skill.

Also, remember that BG is different than most games in that sometimes you can pick a lock on the 2nd, 3rd, etc. attempt, after failing at first. Keep trying, if you don't get it within 8-10 tries, then it's most likely too difficult.

Thanks! Didn't know about the studded leather armor penalty. Is there a way to see it? When I equip and unequip the armor, none of her thieving values change (except for AC obviously).

I want to give Imoen 100 in detect traps and 100 in open locks, which she will reach at level 6. I'm going to dual her to mage at level 7 (looking for some continuity here towards BG2), which leaves me with 25 extra thieving points to spend, so I'm contemplating whether to put them in those two skills for a little extra or into one of the other skills like hide in shadows. I guess hiding isn't very useful if not combined with move silently, or is it?

Yes, I noticed the lockpicking retry thing. But a little convenience can't hurt. :)

I'm going to dual her to mage at level 7 (looking for some continuity here towards BG2)

I actually did that the first time I played BG, prior to the release of BG2. Imagine how delighted I was to discover that it was exactly what the devs intended for her anyways.

Are you going for full continuity? If so, then make sure to end BG1 with Imoen, Minsc, Dynaheir, Jaheira, and Khalid.

Ups, looks like my Armor-Encumberance is because of a mod :(

No changes in Vanilla-BG...

(The numbers in the Character-Sheet would change when you use heavier Armor)

Back
Top Bottom