Wasteland 2 - Preview @ Gamespot

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Gamespot's Daniel Starkey played the new Beta version of Wasteland 2, and wrote a very positive preview of the game. His final words where he found it very enjoyable.

Wasteland 2 isn't complete, but I thoroughly enjoyed my journey. There are a few small issues here and there, like the fact that when you're fighting unarmed, you can't attack diagonally adjacent tiles, but they're minor compared to the rest of the experience. I was skeptical about the idea of making a sequel to a 26-year-old game. From the perspective of a contemporary audience, the original Wasteland isn't just old; it's almost unplayable. Wasteland 2 spectacularly balances the older style of classic PC RPGs and more modern sensibilities. Combat moves surprisingly quickly, and the world feels remarkably alive. This is not a game that I would have ever expected to work as well as it does, but what's here already is far more substantial than most full retail releases.
More information.

Wait, what? Gamespot? This I have to read…

Edit: Pretty solid preview, I agree on most of what he says.

Last edited:
"I was skeptical about the idea of making a sequel to a 26-year-old game..." What a stupid apprehension ! They just intended to make a sequel to a rich background, game system and storyline, with modern day assets. Nothing to be skeptical about here !

From my time with the beta, it's indeed very promising as an old-school title with entertaining combat.

My primary issues remain a somewhat awkward UI and sluggish performance, both of which are still being worked on and improved continuously.

Back
Top Bottom