Demonicon - Preview @ GamingLives

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
GamingLives has posted a preview of The Dark Eye: Demonicon in advance of it's October 25th release. Here is what they have to say about the game.

Thankfully, you don’t really need to know anything about The Dark Eye to enjoy Demonicon. Set in the Shadowlands, which I’m told isn’t the usual realm for Dark Eye action to take place, Demonicon follows Cairon, an unfortunate soul whose life takes a turn for the worse in the opening part of the game (but more on that later) and just gets worse as he becomes embroiled in a war against the demons that inhabit the world. Story details are a little thin on the ground at the moment but, needless to say, it’s going to be your typical epic fantasy story, although with a darker, more mature edge.
The rest of the article might spoil the game so read at your own risk. I like the part at the end about consequences though.

With the cannibal defeated, I was given a pretty major decision to make – kill the cannibal, dooming his captives as he was the only one who knew how to get them out, or let him live, freeing the captives but also letting the cannibal off scot-free. Being young and naïve, I let the cannibal free, raising some eyebrows around the room as apparently I was in the minority of people who made that choice. But as a cutscene told me that not long after the cannibal had been set free, more people had disappeared and were presumed eaten, I realised my error. I was suitably impressed that what seemed like the obvious decision ended up being just as bad as the other, and cemented the idea that I really was just choosing between he lesser of two evils.

A little upset that I had caused more suffering, I packed up my things and left to go and have a long chat with myself about what I had done. Despite leaving me feeling more evil than a cannibal, The Dark Eye: Demonicon is a solid-looking action-RPG, which promises many more moral quandaries and fluid fights to appease fans of the genre. Keep a (dark) eye open for this when it comes out on PC on October 25th and consoles at some point next year.
More information.

I wonder how "open world" this is going to be. Anybody know? I tried to skim through the article without reading too much to avoid spoilers, but he didn't mention the flow of gameplay as far as I could see.

I wonder how "open world" this is going to be. Anybody know? I tried to skim through the article without reading too much to avoid spoilers, but he didn't mention the flow of gameplay as far as I could see.
From what I can tell you play in chapters with each one in a different area. So think of it as a semi-open world like the Witcher.

RPS has an older preview about this if nothing has changed.

Link-http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/14/demonic-preview/

Thanks for the link Couchpotato. Semi open works for me. I just don't usually like games that are completely on rails.

Why can't we just get another traditional TDE game like Drakensang 1 or 2? I would kill for another river of time. Was everything I wanted DA2 to be.

Why can't we just get another traditional TDE game like Drakensang 1 or 2? I would kill for another river of time. Was everything I wanted DA2 to be.
I agree but the developer of those games is gone, and I guess other developers don't want to take the chance. It's a great opportunity for a new kickstarter.

I agree but the developer of those games is gone, and I guess other developers don't want to take the chance. It's a great opportunity for a new kickstarter.

Radon Labs being gone doesn't mean anything. There are plenty of studios that can do what they did, they just aren't being allowed by their "publisher masters".

As for KS, I don't trust that site anymore. Quite a bit of broken promises and under-delivered ones as well.

Radon Labs being gone doesn't mean anything. There are plenty of studios that can do what they did, they just aren't being allowed by their "publisher masters".

As for KS, I don't trust that site anymore. Quite a bit of broken promises and under-delivered ones as well.

Courtesy of Chief Criminal Double Fine Studios! They ought to be made to pay a visit to a Syberian Gulag for a few months to enjoy the fruits they Reaped.

Which ones were that? I mean... We don't share the same experience, then again, we probably didn't support the same stuff.

Right you are joxer (did I just said that joxer was right? :wideeyed:) I'm curious about examples as well!

Right you are joxer (did I just said that joxer was right? :wideeyed:) I'm curious about examples as well!
Would love to hear which ones also. Since I can only recall Double fine, and a few scams. I don't care if a few developers used kickstater to get publisher interest either.

I already played a few released kickstarters and only payed $15-20 for a game. So I can't complain.:)

You have to expect a certain number of disappointments with kickstarter though, it's hopes and dreams by a large extent. If some of them come out as great, some as good and some as poor that is fine by me(I never donate more than 50 dollars anyway)

Back
Top Bottom