Watchtower Logo

Lucky Day

Daywatch
While I don't think anyone will confuse you with the Jehovah's Witnesses I've not seen many gun towers associated with RPG's.

Someone suggested it be changed to a medeival tower and I thought I might as well start this topic.

Perhaps there's a long term plan to expand out to different game categories using "watch" as the buzz word?

Yes, there is. The current tower is the result of a LONG search and design process over several months. Still, open discussion can only be beneficial.

I wouldn´t say it´s necessarily final. If anybody has a better logo or a great idea to flesh out the Watch theme just send it in.

I agree. It's not properly themed. It belongs to some real time strategy game - or worse, to a concentration camp.

I would suggest a tower from the Limes or something like that...

I like it. First time I saw it I thought: forest fire watch tower. I assumed it was to emphasize the watch aspect of the site more then the rpg aspect, and it does that well. The clean simple line style goes well with the cleaner site. And expressing "an RPG and MMORPG news aggregation, commentary and forum site" in an icon is going to be either overly complicated or leave some part of the message out. I think just emphasizing the watch aspect works well. My .02 anyway.

It reminds me of Jagged Alliance 2, one of my fave CRPGs of old. Needless to say that I like it :lol:.

I voted for it as well. It IS an original piece of art, comissioned for this site!!

I'm against different logos. One logo - one site. The design of current logo is quite futuristic and most rpgs have medieval setting, but then again i'm not an artist :D But if someone is and can resign it, why not post it here?

Personally I like it - it suggests watching the area and horizon.

Keeping watch on the future of cRPGs. Simple, to-the-point, and effective, like the site, from what I've seen thusfar. Works for me.

The bottom line is that we lack an internal artist, so a favour was asked of someone else. We wanted something simple - probably lineart - to suit our new "streamlined" style and I like the result.

The idea of something more medieval is possibly worth investigating but we couldn't really ask our for lots of different concepts for the princely price we paid of zero. ;) So, if someone has the skill, time and willingness to donate something "better" - fantastic. Otherwise, this one is pretty good.

I like it. First time I saw it I thought: forest fire watch tower. I assumed it was to emphasize the watch aspect of the site more then the rpg aspect, and it does that well.

My thoughts exactly. Things like concentration camps didn't came into my mind at all.

As a professional visual artist I think it’s one of the best logos I’ve seen on a crpg site. It’s not the typical clichéd dragon or buffed up hero you see all the time. It’s a more mature and minimal symbol that sticks in your head. Keep it i think :)

For me, and the team will have heard me say this a number of times already, the word "watch" conjures up images of not only the aforementioned watchtower, but also a group of watchers such as a city watch. I like the idea of being on the lookout for new MMO/RPGs and the current logo reinforces that concept for me. I agree it's not exactly medieval, but it has nice clean lines and lends itself well to a logo.

Perhaps at some stage in the future we could have a "redesign the logo" contest, but right now we're pretty happy with the work that a friend of a friend put in to help us out in a tough spot.

Please change the logo...

I have to agree that the logo is really terrible. Aside from the fact that it doesn't convey any of the "feel" of RPGs, it really does suggest a prison or concentration camp (at least to me).

If you want to capitalize on the "Watch" idea, really a medieval watchtower or group of knights on a battlement might be more appropriate. Even a shield or coat of arms -- you know, like the "night watch." I understand the fact that the current logo came free, but I'm sure that if you search around, you can find plenty of more appropriate art for this website available in the public domain. Just try a Google.

As far as the idea of having a "clean, simple, mature" logo -- bah. You're not putting out a stock prospectus -- We're talking about games here. Let's have some swords and dragons!

Back
Top Bottom