Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Maybe...I'll see

Votes: 13 11.9%
  • Not really interested

Votes: 16 14.7%
  • No. And it shouldn't be on RPGWatch

Votes: 7 6.4%

• Total voters
unfortunately because-it's much nicer to stumble upon the lesser known games by chance or through a friends reccomendation than from the in your face, get this now, baby eating hype machine. are you aware of the term "sleeper" (possibly only an american word) and no not that one;) though even "sleepers" have now become a bit of a hype variant themselves.

hehe ...

woodyorb.jpg

Yeah ... I know ;)

The problem with 'sleepers' in the current market is that they simply aren't allowed to exist. It is not as bad as with movies .. yet.

Why "unfortunately"? It's only logical :)
That seems to be a bit of a non sequitur to me. I'm not suggesting that it's illogical, but that it is unfortunate.

I believe that if a significant chunk of people all wait to purchase a game 6 months or a year after it comes out, instead of when it comes out, it's going to make the game seem a failure, even if the total sales work out the same. And, obviously, people will be paying less for older or bargain-bin games and hurting sales figures that way.

I am as or more guilty of this than most. Because I could care less about playing a game when it comes out, I tend to, as I mentioned, wait until a game gets under $35 or even wait for $10 bargain bin deals. Every few months I raid a bargain bin and spend $80-100 picking up games I felt I wanted to play but didn't feel a strong need to support. _Unfortunately_ for the developers, my bargain bin purchase likely did little for the company.

And there's the long-held belief that quality RPGs, adventures, etc. sell better over the long-term, but I have no data to back that up so I'll leave that alone beyond this short mention.

So for certain games where I feel the developers did something special, I go ahead and buy it immediately, and get the special edition if I can (although I suspect special editions probably only benefit the publishers and not the developers, but that's just my uneducated guess). Bioshock is one of those special cases for me.

@Guhndahb: I see what you mean but as someone who has already bought games for years you are already part of the empirical and statistical data that I mentioned :) . It doesn't really matter all that much if you go all "radical" and deviate from your usual purchasing habits. Some others will join you and some won't... it doesn't really matter what individual people do unless you can somehow start a mass movement or something like that.
Anyway, it is, of course, very commendable that you are willing to support the success of the PC version of Bioshock :) .

I agree that my efforts as an individual are largely pointless. And even if a few people agree with me and adopt my methods (something I find unlikely if they didn't feel that way to begin with) it's still not going to make a difference. Nevertheless, I do it because it feels right to me. I still like to believe that the my dollar vote counts for something. And, more to the point, I certainly don't have much right to gripe about the paucity of quality PC games if I don't take appropriate steps to support them when it really counts, which I would guess to be in the first few months of sales, at least as often as I can afford it. And I do so like to gripe about that subject. ;)

Griping is why we're here, isn't it? :)

Griping is why we're here, isn't it? :)
I'm sure it's in the mission statement somewhere. :D
JDR13 said:
I don't believe there is a collectors edition for the PC, is there?
Indeed there is, although it's technically called a Limited Edition, just like for the Xbox360. Unfortunately, it's a Gamestop exclusive, and they removed it from their site about a week ago, without a word, just a couple days before I went to pre-order it.

From what I hear, which is hardly reliable, stores are getting between 1-2 PC LE copies to sell. I'm going to try to get one tomorrow morning, but I probably wont. I feel really stupid jumping through hoops for something so trivial, but I set my mind to it a while back and can be a bit stubborn. I don't like being thwarted. ;)

There's every reason to believe it'll be available for sale from their site in the future, perhaps they are just trying to deal with the broken figurine issue (2KGames announced their plans for replacing those, BTW, I read it here: http://news.filefront.com/official-big-daddy-figurine-announcement-bioshock/). But just in case I'll make one try for a store copy. *shrug*

I just checked Gamestop.com and there was no mention or listing whatsoever of any kind of limited edition. I think it may have been canceled altogether.

I also checked Best Buy, GoGamer, Fry's, and NewEgg with the same results.

Last edited:
I actually finally managed to get my copy of System Shock two installed under Windows XP, applied two texture and mesh mods, upped the resolution - it looks pretty good now, and tell you what, its still such an awesome game. I never finished it last time (ran out of ammo and gave up, I believe). So I am looking forward to getting through this time. So I am gonna play that, then the Bioshock demo, and then, if the word is still good after the hype train reached main station, I am gonna get Bioshock. That might be enough shock to last through the next few months...

I just checked Gamestop.com and there was no mention or listing whatsoever of any kind of limited edition. I think it may have been canceled altogether.

I also checked Best Buy, GoGamer, Fry's, and NewEgg with the same results.

There is a limited edition but it looks like it's really limited this time ;) (at least in the US... over here it can be ordered rather freely - still). Here's part of the original announcement from 2K:
The BioShock Limited Edition will be available to US and Canada exclusively at GameStop and EB for US$59.99 (PC LE) and US$69.99 (Xbox 360™ LE). The Limited Edition will also be available in other territories and details about ordering a copy will be coming soon.

Forgot: There's also a difference between Collector's Edition and Limited Edition. Check here at GameUK. They have all versions listed for PC and X360. Maybe you can import a copy? Or just try your luck at retail today/tomorrow :) .

I never find the value in the CE editions, but that is me .. the only thing I occasionally miss is soundtrack CD's and you can find those after a bit separately, at least on eBay.

I don't see an option for "Yes, but it shouldn't be on RPGWatch."

I never find the value in the CE editions, but that is me .. the only thing I occasionally miss is soundtrack CD's and you can find those after a bit separately, at least on eBay.
I actually quite agree, but for me it's a bit of sentimentality I think. Once in a while I pick a game I consider important to me and I cough up the dough for a collectors edition. Beyond the reasons I mentioned earlier in this thread, I really get little out of it. Generally I find the goodies in CEs to be pretty worthless.

Maybe a little bit of me wants for the days of (nice) cloth maps and little ankhs rattling around in my new purchase again like I had as a lad. :)

360 version for me, PC wouldn't be able to run it in higher quality settings.. also the projector and 5.1 sound are a major argument for it, I want my room to shake when a Big Daddy walks by ;)

I actually finally managed to get my copy of System Shock two installed under Windows XP, applied two texture and mesh mods, upped the resolution

Cool, I've been meaning to try this myself. Care to talk me through how you managed it?

Cool stuff ... all I'll get is Steam ready to run the game in an hour or so ;)

Boys and their toys. :) He is a cute little sucker, tho.

Back
Top Bottom