Deathspank - Review @ Joystiq

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Joystiq has an enthusiastic review of Deathspank with a score of 5 stars:
So it's a lovable (and lovely) adventure. Down to the core gameplay, well, it's a lot of hacking and/or slashing from start to finish. The more you do it, the better you get at doing it, the better the loot and the better you feel about yourself as a person. (Well, from my standpoint, at least.) Here and there, Gilbert and company sneak in a puzzle. How do I make these tacos spicy? These imp horns red? These thongs ... ahem. Drawing once again from Gilbert's past works, DeathSpank compliments its combat with these bite-sized brain teasers -- quests that don't just ask you to kill a certain number of enemies, or find a certain number of items, but actually do something interesting with them.
More information.

Just watched some YT vids. It's like Mario64 meets action RPG with silly humor. Comes across as a true console RPG.

Monkey Island is lame, not funny, never was (and puzzles are retarded on a whole new level).

I still want to play Deathspank, so they should make haste with that shitty console port us PC pirates are waiting for. Did I say pirates? I meant THIEVES! LIARS! SCUM! THOSEWHONEVERPAYFORGAMESANDTHUSWILLNEVERGETAGAMEATSAMEDAYASCONSOLES!

I am sorry but I consider Calvin and Hobbes to be ten times better than sitting through Monkey Island. C&H is on a different league altogether, it's actually clever.

Just to be clear I AM a adventure gamer but so far my list of good adventure games has been very small. Syberia series, Ceville, Grim Fandango, The Experiment, Longest Journey, ten times better than the overhyped Monkey Island.

/personal view

I am sorry but I consider Calvin and Hobbes to be ten times better than sitting through Monkey Island. C&H is on a different league altogether, it's actually clever.

Just to be clear I AM a adventure gamer but so far my list of good adventure games has been very small. Syberia series, Ceville, Grim Fandango, The Experiment, Longest Journey, ten times better than the overhyped Monkey Island.

/personal view

That a matter of taste, im a big fan of C&H, got all 8 hardcover books, and in Denmark they cost 35$ each, but comparing C&H and Moneky Island is like compering vine and beers, Monkey Island got it’s own kind of humour.

Personal I think Monkey Island 1 and 2 is way better that any of those you list, only Grim Fandango gets anywhere close.

/personal view

Personal I think Monkey Island 1 and 2 is way better that any of those you list, only Grim Fandango gets anywhere close.

/personal view

Screw C&H, I was talking about hyped up island game. It was always dull, boring mess. Also I find it hard to believe that anyone who has played all those games I listed can rate MI above them all.

/personal view

I found them great lighthearted fun at the time, and some things, like the vrrbal combat, are just classic. But it was years ago, and I wouldn't be able to propery compare them with other adventures I played.

/universal truth

I am actually absolutely enjoying Death Spank. While it's typically console hack'n'slash RPG, it's so bizzare in a good way! For a long time I haven't played such funny (in a good way) game. But I agree, humor in here will be extremely subjective so I guess it'll turn into love/hate thing.

I'm enjoying it a lot as well. Captivating art style, good sense of humor, varied environments, plenty of good loot and upgrades. This is the first "loot whore" hack & slash game I've ever enjoyed. It definitely has its own personality and identity.

p.s. Good review, I agree with him.

I predict you PC guys will really like this game.

My prediction goes towards the action RPG lovers.

Back
Top Bottom