Simulationists?

themadhatter

Philosopher Emeritus
Be forewarned: this thread is pretty much a complete waste of space, mates, I'm just curious and having a bit of a lark…

That much aside, are there any gamers here who enjoy simulations? Not just flight simulations (those I can understand, to a degree) but I mean really esoteric stuff, like this:
http://www.buzz99.com/805/snowcat-simulator-system-requirements/
I'd advise watching the trailer. Hear that epic Pirates of the Caribbean music? Yeah, that's Snowcat Simulator. Who wouldn't want to drive around a low-poly version of a snowcat, flattening snow so people can ski without feeling like they're moving over waves? Anyone?
Who purchases these games?
Why do the developers make such things, when they could be devoting their time to creating…well, something else? Are they lucrative enough to turn a profit?
Also, are they really simulations or mere illusions? Allusions, perhaps? Or would that be an homage? Essentially, can you garner any practical knowledge from using them?
Now, this thread may sound purely derogatory (which, to a certain degree, it is) but there's also a distinct nugget or two of sincere curiosity. I really do wonder who plays these and why they continue being made.

Also, can anyone top Snowcat Simulator with a more far-fetched simulation? Legitimate games only, not some of the freaky online flash nonsense.

You will be amazed on how many people play fishing , truck driving , hunting and watch paint dry simulators out there .
My brother plays the fishing sim (Alaska something) , he got interested after participating in the national championship of tuna fishing .
I am interesting in buying the sailing sim ( i do sail in real life) and i will get it when i have a budget for games.

I find some simulation interesting. It's like systemizing and konceptualizing sometimes abstract flow of events into mechanics. I wrote a large design document on a "the sims" style game in the early nineties.

A German farm game has sold here considerably well - much to the shock of "serious" game magazine editors.

I enjoyed the early "sim-" games a lot, actually. SimEarth, SimAnt (maybe a whackier concept even then this one), and of course, SimCity. Those were interesting games, yet also to a small extent, educational. SimEarth e.g. could really teach you something about global ecology and earth sciences.
And yes, a lot of sims are still very popular - the hunting and fishing simulators are top sellers, afaik. I guess you could say they are games that people who don't play games can play - which is a vast majority, I believe. Wether a snowcat simulator can be fun or will be a big success - well, seems a little doubtful, but then I think "tower defense" is the most boring game concept ever, and there are bucketloads of the things...

I actually had some fun with a fork lift simulator. Damn things are surprisingly difficult to handle...

I ran a real forklift (slightly illegally). I have little interest in running one in game.

I enjoy racing simulations. But then, I enjoy racing cars. I also tried an air combat simulator, but I couldn't get it to stop crashing. Microsoft FTW! Then of course, SimCity. Even the earliest version gave you a rudimentary idea of managing a budget, taxes, and economic issues. There was another game I used to play, long ago, which simulated running a company of some sort. But that was one of the ones on 5.25" disks, and long since gone.

Back
Top Bottom