Drakensang - 5 Reasons to Try the Demo @ PC World

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Matt Peckham (yes, the guy who doesn't like D&D) has kicked up 5 Reasons to Try the Drakensang Demo at PC World. Here's #1:
Character can spend experience points on-the-fly. They're actually called "adventure points" here, and while they're still manually distributed to improve stats and abilities, you can spend them instantly, no waiting for arbitrary level-up-dings. Levels are still here as a derivative of overall experience points, but merely to cap your spending in a given area.
Speaking of Drakensang, the official site has the latest round of updates, with the Burglar added to the Archetypes section.
More information.

Peckham likes an RPG! Now the world can explode.

Character can spend experience points on-the-fly.

This is simply the result of the rule set, nothing more.

There are no real levels anymore - and discussions towards a possible 5th edition indicate that levels will be completely gone, then.

I am usually very skeptical about demos and usually ignore them. They never seem to play well for me, so my decision on purchasing is rarely based on the demo.

But, this demo was actually fun and gave a rough picture of what the final product will be like. At least, if it did, I will most certainly buy it upon release. Sure, some of the dialogue is bad (the Amazon's dialogue at the inn-- yikes, then the rogue that all too quickly spills the beans about his presence in the starting area). But I like a return to pseudo turn based combat.

Is this game going to be like playing the classic RoA trilogy (my most favorite series ever)? No, but it will have to do. When my only outlet for gaming is currently WoW, I will gladly take this.

I look forward to the character generation of expert mode and seeing the final features.

Really should give sacred 2 a try, with the current patches it runs quite well.

As for Drakensang I really liked teh demo but stopped playing after about half an hour sinec I hate playing demo's for rpgs and ruining the main game.

Imho the demo won't ruin much, because it's only the *very first* location and it can't be visited (like almost all locations) later in the game anyway.

OK,I've downloaded the demo and tried it for a little while and I'm liking a lot of what I see.

The main drawback for me at the moment is the camera angle which I think is awful.

Can you do anything about this in the demo?

Perhaps more importantly,can you do anything about it in the full game as it's probably enough to put me off buying?

In the patch, the camera / mouse sensitivity can be changed.

There is no fixed angle, but it can be chosen quite freely; however, the sensitivity of the mouse for that was too sensitive for a lot of people in the full game (and the demo), therefore it got patched.

Isn't just hold down the right mouse button and drag it to the desired view? That's what seems right but I'm at work and can't test....

Yes. RMB & drag. The wheel also changes something. Sensitivity is a third option.

I changed my mouse sensitivity in the demo using the Options menu. Helped a great deal. Put it down to about 3 or 4 for good control.

Through the options menu ? Then it uses the patch which I thought wouldn't be in the demo.

Thanks for the help,folks,it's looking better now,will continue with demo in near future.

Back
Top Bottom