Starcraft 2 - is the pricing fair?

I agree that Wow is a weak RPG on it's own. Like most (all?) MMO's. But due to the multiplayer it's a fairly ok vehicle for roleplaying - among roleplaying players (which admittedly is scare) and within roleplaying guilds.

Of course I see it's not everybody's cup of whatever you fill cups with, and that one might say Blizzard messed up. I also agree that commercial success does not equal a good game. But *pointing at D'artagnan :) * I think calling it a BIGTIME mess up is a bit far-fetched. And, as I have said again and again, but no one believes me - since I'm a Norwegian I know these things.

Consider that my way of measuring success has nothing to do with money.

Then your choice of the words "messed up" seems a little odd. They may have "messed up" in no longer appealing to you as much, but on the ways of measuring success that they have I'm sure the enormous piles of money and resulting complete creative freedom going forward make up for it a little.

Then your choice of the words "messed up" seems a little odd. They may have "messed up" in no longer appealing to you as much, but on the ways of measuring success that they have I'm sure the enormous piles of money and resulting complete creative freedom going forward make up for it a little.

Since I don't speak in objective terms, being a human being with merely subjective opinions, I don't see what's odd about it.

My opinions about games have little or nothing to do with their monetary success.

Whether or not Blizzard are happy with their games, I really can't say.

I assume they are, since their new objective seems to be more or less 100% oriented towards monetary gain.

Good for them, but not for me.

Since I don't speak in objective terms, being a human being with merely subjective opinions, I don't see what's odd about it.

My opinions about games have little or nothing to do with their monetary success.

Whether or not Blizzard are happy with their games, I really can't say.

I assume they are, since their new objective seems to be more or less 100% oriented towards monetary gain.

Good for them, but not for me.

Why on earth would you try and judge whether someone else had "messed up" on your subjective criteria though? Wouldn't one tend to judge people's success on a guess at their criteria? Not in any way disputing your subjective views or your right to those subjective views, but your phrase of "messed up" suggests that they've made mistakes that they'd regret rather than simply decisions that you regret.

And while they're obviously ludicrously profitable they've not really cranked it out with endless microtransactions or charges for limited new content as far as I was aware, not to mention delaying diablo 3 and starcraft 2 while they put in what (I'd imagine) is going to be an awe inspiring level of polish.

Personally, on my subjective criteria obviously, I don't really care if they are focused on money so long as they've come to the opinion that the best route to money is making incredibly well polished and endlessly replayable games.

I should point out that I only ever liked starcraft and the original warcrafts and have never played WOW or enjoyed diablo, so the bulk of their efforts (particularly of late) have been invested in avenues I have no interest in.

Why on earth would you try and judge whether someone else had "messed up" on your subjective criteria though? Wouldn't one tend to judge people's success on a guess at their criteria? Not in any way disputing your subjective views or your right to those subjective views, but your phrase of "messed up" suggests that they've made mistakes that they'd regret rather than simply decisions that you regret.

And while they're obviously ludicrously profitable they've not really cranked it out with endless microtransactions or charges for limited new content as far as I was aware, not to mention delaying diablo 3 and starcraft 2 while they put in what (I'd imagine) is going to be an awe inspiring level of polish.

Personally, on my subjective criteria obviously, I don't really care if they are focused on money so long as they've come to the opinion that the best route to money is making incredibly well polished and endlessly replayable games.

I should point out that I only ever liked starcraft and the original warcrafts and have never played WOW or enjoyed diablo, so the bulk of their efforts (particularly of late) have been invested in avenues I have no interest in.

Why on earth would anyone expect me to judge something based on citeria that are impossible for me to know.

First of all, Blizzard consists of A LOT of people, and I bet they each have their own individual goals with their participation in making any given game.

It would be completely useless, because it would be nothing but a guess.

So, to me it EXCLUSIVELY makes sense to judge something based on YOUR OWN personal criteria for quality or success.

That is exactly the way in which they messed up completely, because they had an absolutely fantastic baseline with WoW upon release, and from my point of view they destroyed it utterly by ignoring the magnificant open world structure, and a zillion other things I won't get into here.

Furthermore, the state of pure greed they're in, what with charging obscene amounts of money for work requiring perhaps a few hours of work from a single artist - is just further evidence that they've lost all of their previous style. At least as I remember it.

When I think of the current Blizzard, I'm picturing big fat romans eating grapes, and letting the audience have scraps.

Success? From my point of view, we're talking anything but.

But it's nothing but my own personal opinion, and everyone is completely free to ignore it.

I see a great company slowly going down the tubes in terms of creative power, and all around I'm seeing ignorant greed-supporting gamers clapping their hands and cheering them on.

Oh well, old story.

Why on earth would anyone expect me to judge something based on citeria that are impossible for me to know.

Impossible to know for sure but easy enough to guess I'd have thought. Who doesn't like massive wealth and enormous public appreciation of their work?

I see a great company slowly going down the tubes in terms of creative power, and all around I'm seeing ignorant greed-supporting gamers clapping their hands and cheering them on.

I've not played WoW as said so possibly they have taken their fingers off the pulse on that one, or possibly they've shifted their core creative talent to starcraft 2 and diablo 3, WoW had their undivided attention for a few years but they've got a broader focus at the moment.

To my mind though if WoW still pulls enormous numbers and massive profits then Blizzard is still doing well, if and when its popularity seriously wanes (beyond the novelty of MMOs wearing off a bit) because they've stopped caring about their product I'd consider them to have messed up a dominant market position but I wasn't aware that they were anywhere near that kind of situation as yet.

Impossible to know for sure but easy enough to guess I'd have thought. Who doesn't like massive wealth and enormous public appreciation of their work?

Sure they like it, but is it their primary goal - again, I wouldn't know.

Personally, I care nothing for wealth beyond my needs, and public appreciation is absolutely worthless if I'm not happy with my own work.

I've not played WoW as said so possibly they have taken their fingers off the pulse on that one, or possibly they've shifted their core creative talent to starcraft 2 and diablo 3, WoW had their undivided attention for a few years but they've got a broader focus at the moment.

To my mind though if WoW still pulls enormous numbers and massive profits then Blizzard is still doing well, if and when its popularity seriously wanes (beyond the novelty of MMOs wearing off a bit) because they've stopped caring about their product I'd consider them to have messed up a dominant market position but I wasn't aware that they were anywhere near that kind of situation as yet.

Your way of measuring success is obviously very different from mine ;)

Your way of measuring success is obviously very different from mine ;)

I would say that your way of measuring success is very different from the majority of society, at least if they're being honest with themselves.

Hopefully the starcraft 2 release will satisfy both our hopes that Blizzard is still the kind of company that makes absolutely amazing games when it puts its mind to it.

I would say that your way of measuring success is very different from the majority of society, at least if they're being honest with themselves.

I think you're VERY right there ;)

I'm quite atypical in general…

Hopefully the starcraft 2 release will satisfy both our hopes that Blizzard is still the kind of company that makes absolutely amazing games when it puts its mind to it.

As I said, I think Starcraft 2 reaches far enough back to still be a "true" Bliz game.

D3 and beyond, is what I'm really worried about.

As I said, I think Starcraft 2 reaches far enough back to still be a "true" Bliz game.

I really disliked the diablos so for me it's all about a revival of their top quality strategy offerings.

There is a pet in the collector's edition ??? For an RTS ???

What's a Thor unit ?

And, by the way, I do wonder inhow far an RTS player would have "use" for a wow pet ? I think both are quite different genres, imho.

Hm, okay, this sounds reasonable.

Edit : From the "wow wiki" : http://www.wowwiki.com/Mini_Thor

In the "companions" entry, it is listed under "obscure companions".

With Leonard Boyarski involved i have a gut feeling it'll be perhaps more my kind of game than previous Diablos (that is a bit less mindless hack and slash).

With Leonard Boyarski involved i have a gut feeling it'll be perhaps more my kind of game than previous Diablos (that is a bit less mindless hack and slash).

I don't think they're moving away from that particular aspect :)

They might do better with the story and the quests, but I'm sure it's going to be completely action driven.

But, being a major fan of the Diablo games, I think you're doing them a disservice by calling them mindless.

They actually take skill, if you want to do well - but they're also meant to be played on "nightmare" and "hell" difficulty levels. Normal is sort of an introduction to the game, and I understand why so many players think it's a mindless experience because of that.

The later stages… Not so much :)

"Those who make it through the game by effectively shutting down their brains will be rewarded by a [part of the] game that requires them to effectively power up their brains" ?

Back
Top Bottom