Torment: Tides of Numenera - RPS Preview

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Rock, Paper, Shotgun takes a look at the beta of the year's most anticipated RPG, Torment: Tides of Numenera. Be advised: this article is spoiler heavy.

RPGWatch's sneak peek is done and should be published this week.

Turns out you can’t play Torment: Tides of Numenera [official site] with your eyes closed. So much for my big plan to try and avoid spoilers. It’s simultaneously one of the RPGs I’ve been looking forward to the most, and the one I’ve deliberately learned the least about. Planescape Torment fans should need no explanation as to why, but though I apparently have no self-control, it at least puts me in position to tell you whether the current beta is worth your time now or whether you should wait.

Let’s get hands on with the only game this year allowed to use any variant of a ‘mysterious amnesiac’ story without being pelted with rocks and rotten fruit.
More information.

More information.

great style, looks deep and with many choices, a real narrative driven RPG

I really like the art style and color mix seen in the screenshots so far. I read a little bit the previews and I'm starting to get even more sad that I didn't back the Numenera campaign setting KS back then.

Oh well, I backed the game because it was based on it and not because it had "Torment" in the title. I'll have to content myself with that.

I must admit the game does look good. I'm afraid it will be an encyclopedia of boring like the first one though.

I'll keep an eye on it and check reviews on release.

Last edited:
the year's most anticipated RPG

Really? Not even in the top 20 most anticipated for me.

sounds like your Just Cause fix is overdue

I played about half of Torment before punting. Between bugs and periodic confusion on how to complete key quests I gave up. I like witty games with depth but I couldn't grasp the point of leveling (and doing the skin art thing) when there was so little combat. And NPCs that I couldn't keep happy. Very interesting game before fatigue set in. I'm not sure I'm up for a revisit to this world.

I am sure the article is well written.

Not interested in games in a beta stage, not even sure I am any longer interested in games in first release date stage.

Not sure this style of game is for me, might check it out a few years after release.

Back
Top Bottom