Mass Effect 3 - Seth Green Interview

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Alrik points out a interview with Seth Green at Forbes on his various project including, of course, Mass Effect 3:
What do you think so far?
I got to tell you, I came onto this thing because I thought it was going to be a cool game, and I couldn’t believe how they exceeded my expectation and even my imagination. How cool it was, and the response from the first game was so big, that they went deep, and instead of just making a sequel, expanded the second game to make it even more amazing. And I didn’t even think that was possible.
So when I came in to do this recording stuff, I said, ‘Just give me some spoilers, give me some spoilers.’ And they gave me a couple of spoilers, and I wish I could tell you… I just have to say, all the fans that are asking me questions right now, who are like, ‘Wouldn’t it be awesome if they did this?’ They’re doing that. All the shit where you’re like ‘Oh, it would be so cool if maybe they would do this,’ they’re doing that!
...and CVG has some comments from marketing dude David Silverman:
He added: "We're hoping for a big hit. It's the best game we've ever made at BioWare Edmonton. The stuff we're doing - making the gameplay more action-adventre-y, making it on a par with some of the best action games you see today, whilst on top of that adding in these RPG elements that maybe people were upset we didn't focus on as much in Mass Effect 2 - it strikes a balance."

When asked whether the game would have more RPG depth than Mass Effect 2, Silverman commented:

"Absolutely. Hands down. We've done a lot of research about what people liked about Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 and other games too - what they like about Gears Of War, Assassin's Creed, Halo, Call Of Duty and lots of RPG games too.
More information.

Why is he mentioning all these first/third person shooters and them mentions RPGs as an afterthought? Oh, I'm starting to sound like all the other haters... I just hope we get some more exploration like in the first Mass Effect. Now, *that* had atmosphere.

Cool, cool, cool, amazing, cool, awesome, cool, best....

Yeah.

He is a good salesman. Maybe he has financial incentives with a share proportional to the volumes of sales?

"Absolutely. Hands down. We've done a lot of research about what people liked about Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 and other games too - what they like about Gears Of War, Assassin's Creed, Halo, Call Of Duty and lots of RPG games too.
I dont mind a story based shooter with rpg elements but I hope they keep the mp crap out of this game. I have never seen story and multiplayer mix well together.

When asked whether the game would have more RPG depth than Mass Effect 2, David "Awesome Button" Silverman commented:

So on the question whether or not the game should have more RPG depth he claims they made a lot of research and mentions the prequels and 4 non-rpgs.

They really need to fire this guy. Seriously.

I dont mind a story based shooter with rpg elements but I hope they keep the mp crap out of this game. I have never seen story and multiplayer mix well together.

Spot-on in my opinion. I'm fine with action and RPG games fused together like Mass Effect. What I don't want is multiplayer and singleplayer fused together, because then neither is satisfying in my experience.

Absolutely. Hands down. We've done a lot of research about what people liked about Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 and other games too - what they like about Gears Of War, Assassin's Creed, Halo, Call Of Duty and lots of RPG games too.

Lost more respect for David Silverman. He can mention four non rpgs but not a single rpg. More of the same were trying to cater more to action and fps games speech again. Then again this is the guy who promoted press a button something awesome happens.

He probably wanted to be diplomatic. He thinks these four games are all RPGs (it is all subjective) He only quoted RPGs as the four first games are RPGs in his subjectivity and the rest of the list is undubiously RPGs.

Spot-on in my opinion. I'm fine with action and RPG games fused together like Mass Effect. What I don't want is multiplayer and singleplayer fused together, because then neither is satisfying in my experience.

+1 to both Z and DN

It´s worrying to imply as diverse games as he does. The lowest common denominator seldom implies something good.

C

It seems that if someone uses the world "cool" and "awesome" lot, then you can safely ignore them!

When asked whether the game would have more RPG depth than Mass Effect 2, Silverman commented:

I'm not sure if this is an insult, or if he's simply retarded.

I only read the Seth interview, I have no interest in reading what some marketing guy says. They're paid to make a product look better than it is.

Seth seems to be a genuine geek, I like that. He honestly seems very excited about both Mass Effect and Star Wars.

Lost more respect for David Silverman. He can mention four non rpgs but not a single rpg.

I fear that this will be symptomatic for the game … "being influenced by …"
And yes, I fear that he calls the mentioned games "RPGs" as well …

Seth seems to be a genuine geek, I like that. He honestly seems very excited about both Mass Effect and Star Wars.

This is my impression as well. He is very ... authentic in what he says.

I fear that this will be symptomatic for the game … "being influenced by …"
And yes, I fear that he calls the mentioned games "RPGs" as well ….

That right there scares me when a person thinks Gears Of War, Assassin's Creed, Halo, and Call Of Duty are Rpg's. He shouldn't be in marketing for a company that supposedly makes Rpg's for the last 15 years.:-/

what they like about Gears Of War, Assassin's Creed, Halo, Call Of Duty and lots of RPG games too.

Obviously, he knows they're not RPGs.

I don't think it has anything to do with incompetence. It's just a deliberate step away from a genre that can't - by itself - generate the kind of return they want for their investment.

Pretty simple.

He knows these games are not RPGs? How? It is all subjective. These games are and are not RPGs. It all depends on subjectivity.

For a same person, one day, they can be RPGs and the other day, they can be not RPGs.

Subjectivity is subjective and RPGs should be spoken about without defining them. Makes it far from being simple to know which game is or not a RPG.

The best here is:" on the moment, he thought these games not to be RPGs"
Knowing is way too definitive when it comes to RPGs.

Back
Top Bottom