Codex vs. Watch - Blood Bowl Extravaganza?

grotty

Watcher
blood-bowl.jpg

So over on the Watch's happy-go-lucky partner-in-crime/bitter, hated rival RPG Codex, we've been running a league in Cyanide's Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition for some time - four successful seasons now, in fact. There's been blood, tears, triumph, despair, and comedy match reports. At the end of every tournament, a champion is ceremonially crowned and custom-tagged, and then has to play next time around with Goblins or something equally humiliating.

Of late, however, things have been getting a bit slow and quiet, largely because it's mostly the same people playing each other over and over again. And so the possibility of an inter-site tournament was brought up; and the Watch, as our closest neighbour, was suggested as the most likely to be up for it.

How about it, Watchers? A friendly contest to strengthen the bonds of our respective communities, and the opportunity to decide once and for all, via fouling, turn-based action, gamemanship and violence, which is the One True RPG website.

It's miles better than most things which cost 40$ these days ;)

It's frequently been on sale for >10$ though, so there's that.

Figure the One True RPG website by playing Blood Bowl??? Well, it's certainly non-linear thinking...

Legendary Edition actually makes a lot of changes to the game. Not only does it introduce a lot more teams (11 extra, which means that there are a grand total of 20 teams to chose from), but it also updated the ruleset to the very latest version.

How would a tournament like this be handled? Brand new teams for everyone, or will you use established teams? Also, will there be some form of bonus for people who chose to play silly teams, like Haflings or Goblins?

How would a tournament like this be handled? Brand new teams for everyone, or will you use established teams? Also, will there be some form of bonus for people who chose to play silly teams, like Haflings or Goblins?

Well, so far at least one person's suggested the league feature teams of up to 2000pts, but nothing's set in stone yet, so feel free to argue for one or the other. In terms of upkeep, we'd probably want at least one admin from each site to keep things moving smoothly and fix match results if players go AWOL or internet connections break - and I guess we could either just lump everyone in together during the play-offs, or try and fix it so the final features the most successful Codex player vs the most successful Watch player?

As for bonuses for the joke teams, I'm not sure...is there any practical way of giving them bonuses (other than, obviously, tons of kudos for their lunacy)?

I've never taken care of an online BB tournament, so I don't know how much power the admins have over the respective leagues, but I've seen real life tournaments where the joke teams have been given extra rerolls or just a bit of extra starting cash.

Legendary Edition actually makes a lot of changes to the game. Not only does it introduce a lot more teams (11 extra, which means that there are a grand total of 20 teams to chose from), but it also updated the ruleset to the very latest version.
I see. Crap, that leaves me out then.

Smashing Codexer's does sound tempting but who ends up with Andheira?

Don't they offer a discount for people who already own the older BB-versions, or was that just around the time of BB-legendary edition's release?
Yes, there was a discount before the Legendary Edition was released for those who had a previous edition, but IIRC it was only for pre-orders and perhaps for a short time after the game was released. Might remember it wrong though, but I just checked Steam and there was no discount listed, so no luck for Yours Truly (nor his Ork team Teefbustas).

Hm, I still have my lead-n-paper version of Blood Bowl (1st Ed), along with my nicely painted team of human losers. So if it was analog and 1st ed, I could participate, but digital ... hmmm ...

Back
Top Bottom