Ubisoft - Removes Games From Steam

aries100

SasqWatch
Gamerheadlines brings news that Ubisoft now globally has removed upcoming titles from Steam. The games which has been pulled from Steam are Assassin’s Creed: Unity, The Crew, and Far Cry 4.
Upcoming Ubisoft games Assassin's Creed: Unity, Far Cry 4, and The Crew were taken down from Steam yesterday, and appeared today on Origin… Soon however the games were taken down across Steam's global network, and as of yet neither Valve or Ubisoft have made any sort of official statement regarding this decision.
More information.

We should also thank Zloth for posting about the news on our forums.:)

Link - http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26459

Update: The games are back on Steam. It seems it only affects the UK now.
“We’ve been in discussions with Valve about Assassin’s Creed Unity but for the time being the game is not available via Steam in the UK.

“In the meantime, UK customers wishing to purchase the game digitally can do so by visiting the Uplay store, our retail partners or other digital distributors.”

Last edited:
Interesting. So there is some anti Steam thing going on with bigger publishers?!

Steam wasn't draconian enough. Uplay is the only thing that will satisfy their sadistic psychotic urges.

It does not matter where they sell their games you are still forced to use Uplay so what's the point. At least EA only sells through their service so there is only 1 layer of DRM. Not that I will be buying any of their products either but at least they were straight forward about it.

I think the problem stems from DLC's. Big publishers like EA and Ubisoft want to sell DLCs via an ingame menu. But this means gamers are directed to a specific server of the publisher instead of Steam. Therefore Steam can't make money on DLC's with this system. In the past Valve demanded from EA to remove this ingame DLC purchase system, but EA refused. So EA abandoned Steam. Maybe it's same with Ubisoft.

and which one of these is a rpg? :))

anyway games were removed from uk steam because valve didnt agreed with the price of 50p for each, which is way too much; ubisoft removed the games from everywhere by mistake but now they are back on steam, except uk where probably they wont come back

and which one of these is a rpg? :))

Farcry 4 has exploration, character progression, skills, crafting and story. While it's a stretch and definitely not a deep rpg I'd say it's just as much of an rpg as Deus Ex: HR.

Personally, I hope Ubisoft and EA choke on their hordes of DLC cash and are crushed beneath their own sales platforms like those little stickmen on the sides of the soda machines they were rocking. It won't be any of my cash. I'm sick of the BioWare formula, as well as the Assasin's Crred/Far Cry formulas.

I hope they are withdrawn, Steam is the enemy here. They are getting much too big, arrogant and insular. Why would the Ubisofts of this world agree to give them 30% of all their revenue? That's way too much.

While Steam's percentage is steep, I, as a consumer, appreciate several of the steps Steam has taken to keep itself attractive to gamers, such as the Steam Workshop and their frequent low-cost sales. Not really my thing, but there is also the Big Picture thing and cross-platform play with Mac users.

And despite their large cut of the pie, they have gone out of their way to embrace indie developers with Greenlight, for example. That large cut likely doesn't seem so bad to many indie developers, considering increased exposure and sales. Really, Steam has opened the door for indie self publishing.

As long as Steam continues to keep consumers near the top of its list of priorities, along with indie developers, I'm pretty OK with Steam.

What needs to be gone is the practice of selling you part of a game for $50 then selling you the rest of it for another $50 - $70. If you want $100+ for your product then ask for that but personally I am tired of seeing tons of DLC that has been striped from the game only to be sold to you at a latter date.

It does not matter where they sell their games you are still forced to use Uplay so what's the point. At least EA only sells through their service so there is only 1 layer of DRM. Not that I will be buying any of their products either but at least they were straight forward about it.

Even if I have to use Uplay, I still prefer to get my games on Steam. I have had a LOT of trouble downloading through Uplay - timeouts, slow rates, and such that I never have on Steam. Assassin's Creed IV was a game I got for free with a video card purchase and I started downloading it and went to bed, only to find it timed out at 10% when i checked the next morning. Resumed when I went to work and it died about 25% through. Note that I was on IRC, idling in a couple channels the entire time and that never dropped, so I know my Internet connection was stable.

When you are a company that offers digital downloads, and you can't get that basic functionality working properly, you have failed in my book.

I NEVER buy DLC; it's as simple as that, plus I refuse to buy anything from EA ever again, but that's just personal!! :)

While Steam's percentage is steep, I, as a consumer, appreciate several of the steps Steam has taken to keep itself attractive to gamers, such as the Steam Workshop and their frequent low-cost sales. Not really my thing, but there is also the Big Picture thing and cross-platform play with Mac users.

And despite their large cut of the pie, they have gone out of their way to embrace indie developers with Greenlight, for example. That large cut likely doesn't seem so bad to many indie developers, considering increased exposure and sales. Really, Steam has opened the door for indie self publishing.

As long as Steam continues to keep consumers near the top of its list of priorities, along with indie developers, I'm pretty OK with Steam.

Steam isn't a charity though, I don't have any special loyalty to it, and I buy a game on another platform every single time I have the option. 30 % is way too much for what they provide, at the end of the day to them it's just like Ubisoft, it's all about the money.

Of course they will provide tools like Steamworks to incite as many indies as possible to get on board, but that's only to lock them into their walled gardens. It's become so much that it's to a point it's not possible for an indie to make any money unless the game is available on Steam. They have screwed themselves royally.

Farcry 4 has exploration, character progression, skills, crafting and story. While it's a stretch and definitely not a deep rpg I'd say it's just as much of an rpg as Deus Ex: HR.

I don't agree with that at all. Unless FC4 is a lot less of a shooter than the first 3 games in the series were, and I'm not seeing that so far.

Back
Top Bottom