KoA: Reckoning - Review @ IGN

This game would be on my buy list if it wasn't for the extremely artificial / linear exploration.

I really like the over-the-top comic book art style, really nice use of colors, looks really wonderful on a IPS screen. Melee combat is quite nice, however i don't like the auto aim feature, Skyrim does that a hell of a lot better.

This game would be on my buy list if it wasn't for the extremely artificial / linear exploration.

I really like the over-the-top comic book art style, really nice use of colors, looks really wonderful on a IPS screen. Melee combat is quite nice, however i don't like the auto aim feature, Skyrim does that a hell of a lot better.

It's not really linear once you get past the tutorial dungeon....you can go where you like.

There is a certain confined feeling to some areas that gets translated into linear by some folks. That was my brother's impression of the game when he watched videos.

It's not really linear once you get past the tutorial dungeon….you can go where you like.

Not really, you cant jump of any cliff to take a shortcut or explore every area. You're quite restricted to only explore where the devs has decided it is possible. You cant even fall into the water or fall of a cliff, you'll just run into an invisible wall if you try, very immersion breaking.

Maybe not "childish" but certainly "teenagery" :) but I agree with your opinion. I would add WoW like graphics and arcadey combat to my personal "dislike" list.
I will probably play it at some point in the future but I am not in any hurry…
I was going to say 'for teenagers' at first, but I have noticed that some people are more easily upset with that term than 'childish' and find it a lot more offensive somehow. I intentionally said childish to avoid any unwanted misunderstanding. You are right. Teenagery is more like it.

There is a certain confined feeling to some areas that gets translated into linear by some folks. That was my brother's impression of the game when he watched videos.
In Reckoning we do not travel in huge, open areas (like in Skyrim). Instead we usually walk on narrow paths and roadways. This may induce a feeling of walking on a linear path, but rest assured: you can go wherever you want.

This may induce a feeling of walking on a linear path, but rest assured: you can go wherever you want.

Again, you can really only go / explore where the devs decided this would be possible, which in turn makes it quite linear. I prefer the "what you see is what you get" approach, like in Skyrim, even though this usually introduces more bugs and probably adds another year or two to the development cycle - totally worth it.

I think if you miss this game you really are missing out on a very good rpg. In my mind it is very similar in the setup of say Dragon knight saga, with better writing and more lore. There seems to be a lot of areas you can swim and jump from...certain o ther games are being released with no swimming at all, is that not even more restrictive giving how they are based on an area with islands? The restricive roadways and caves usually are only at hubs between bigger open areas...and their are a lot of those bigger open areas.

9 out of 10 on ign tells us they did something right with this game. I think we are going to see a lot of 8 to 9 out of 10 from most sites, and we will also see a lot of well this review doesn't count because it doesn't support my view;)

Again, you can really only go / explore where the devs decided this would be possible

Isn't that the case for 99% of games, that 1% being ones where there are bugs that enable you to do otherwise?

Isn't that the case for 99% of games, that 1% being ones where there are bugs that enable you to do otherwise?

No? Have you played any of the Gotic games or Bethesda's games (especially the TES series) you would know that they've not restricted you to hot spots to climb or swim (or fall down to your death or just to make a shortcut). In a TES game if I see a mountain in the distance it means i can climb to the very top, with some effort, if i see a pool of water it means i can go / fall into it. There's also quite a few other, non-RPG games, which also has this limitless exploration, like Just Cause 2.

They are that way by design, Todd usually makes a big deal of it too when advertising Skyrim ;)

rune_74: yes it reminds me of DKS, which i really didnt care for much either, but they certainly did some things right, just like with this game.. I'm just very very picky when it comes to exploring (Gothic's and TES has spoiled me too much).

I finally got around to playing the demo a few days ago, and I have to say that I was pretty disappointed - which is kind of saying something since I had pretty reasonable expectations. I was expecting a "Fable on steroids" type of experience; as in, a light-hearted action-based RPG with decent exploration. (I'm going to be making a few comparisons to the Fable series because these two games have a few things in common, making Fable a good reference). Because I enjoyed the first two Fables for what they were, I figured I would enjoy this game in a similar way: as a nice change of pace in between more "serious" games. As the release drew nearer, I found myself actually looking forward to playing this game.

Unfortunately, I was left with a much worse impression than I ever would have imagined before playing the demo. The first thing that stood out to me - and I mean immediately, during the game's intro - is how extremely generic the game world is. The tired cliche of an "evil villain who wants to destroy the world for no reason other than because apparently he can" is vaguely introduced, right before leading into the next cliche of your character being the "amnesiac chosen one who is the only person who can stop him." Why? Because you're the player! The Fae seem to be the typically arrogant "elder race" that wants to reclaim dominance from the younger races.

Just about everything introduced in the demo seems as if it were pulled from a checklist of fantasy stereotypes and cliches that ran their course years ago, back in the late 90's when developers were finally breaking away from those tired elements in favor of unique settings seen in the likes of Fallout, Planescape: Torment, and Arcanum. Not a good first impression…Fable certainly doesn't have the deepest game world, but at least the world of Albion has plenty of unique aspects that set it apart from other fantasy settings. If KoA's fantasy elements are this generic and bland, why should I care about the game's history and lore?

As far as gameplay goes, once again I went in with modest expectations, sensing that the combat would be a decently fun Fable-ish system. I enjoy action-based systems that require player-skill and timing, so that was never an issue for me personally. Considering the boisterous statements the developers have made in claiming that KoA's gameplay was going to "change the way the world views action-RPGs forever!", I was shocked at how clumsy the combat felt - even while playing with a gamepad. The camera is wonky, melee attacks lack weight and satisfying impact, targeting is imprecise, and there is no lock-on. Switching from attacking one enemy to the next is also clumsy and imprecise instead of having the fluid rhythm of similar systems. For ranged combat, there is only a frustrating auto-target system with no manual aiming, making combat with a bow completely unsatisfying and pointless. I feel that Fable's combat is much better and, perhaps surprisingly, has more depth than KoA.

Another element that stands out from the demo is just how childish the game feels. The fact that the game takes itself so seriously at times makes this stand out even more, and the attempt to make certain parts "epic" within this type of atmosphere is cringe-worthy. The writing isn't terrible, but it's far from anything praise-worthy. In short, the combination of the generic setting and the bland tone does nothing to pull me in.

The brief exploration highlighted in the demo makes the game world feel somewhat empty, similar to Two Worlds 2. The world seems static, with a lack of "life" populating the map. This is especially jarring considering that KoA is not a "true" open-world; one would think that the limited world map and closed-off design would have allowed the developers to fill the world with more life than this, but next to something like Skyrim or Risen, the "living" feel of the world is lacking. NPC's mostly just stand in the same area, quest-givers wait around like dispensers, and enemies seem to just statically spawn in the same place waiting for the player to show up in pre-determined areas. In short, KoA's game world does nothing to give the illusion of being "alive" in the way that Skyrim or Gothic/Risen accomplishes; it just feels too obvious that I"m in a "game" instead of being immersed in a "world."

I'm aware that my impressions seem quite negative, but I don't feel that KoA is going to be a bad game. It was unlikely that this game was ever going to be a day-one purchase, but it was high on my "anticipated games" list. After playing the demo, however, KoA has been moved firmly into the "bargain bin/wait for a big sale" category. There are some good elements to the game, such as the reasonably deep and flexible character development, but the positives don't seem to be enough to make up for what is lacking. I can be forgiving of the technical issues presented in the demo and I believe the developers when they say that it is based off of an out-dated build, but the other issues of the game - poor world design, clumsy gameplay mechanics, and generic setting - are far more alarming than the bugs for me.

Nicely put, did you even read the article? The reviewer said he didn't experience even one crash or lockup the whole time. He said the problems from the demo were all resolved. I had more crashes with crashes in Skyrim in the first week then I have had with the last 20 games I bought. Compare to Skyrim at launch since everyone wants to look at this game in terms of Skyrim. KOA 1 Skyrim 0

Big empty world? No kidding with Skyrim also. I have no idea about KOA as I haven't played it but I ran through a section of Skyrim after I got out of the first cave, going up to the mountains and for about 10 mins I saw nothing. Zero. Zilch. Not one MOB. At that point I thought I had bought a hiking simulator which is a very common complaint regarding Elder Scrolls games and if you want to bring up Gothic and technical problems in the same post then you have really opened the door and I get to mention something called Gothic 3 er translation bugfest unplayable slide show out of the box.
KOA ? SKYRIM 0 (Actually it picks up well later as I expected but if I was looking for flaws there it is)

Cliche story with Cliche hero? You're kidding, right? Um, the Dragonborn cometh?
Still a hero out to save the world like most games and please people stop making Torment comments as that is one game that was the exception but not the rule today;they don't make games like that anymore, sorry. I find the KOA story and Skyrim coming about dead even but again, I haven't played KOA so I will reserve judgement only based on what I saw in the demo. I haven't seen any story in the last 4 or 5 years that really grabbed me very well so maybe I am a bit more focused on gameplay. Just didn't feel the Nord vibes like a bunch of people I guess.
Skyrim 1 KOA 1

I think the guy sounded pretty fair:he docked the title for not having cutting graphics or exceptional sound or this could have been a 9.5 game and everyone would have screamed foul. All games are not for everybody so this may not be your cup of tea. But I am a day one purchaser and look forward to several hundred hours of gameplay with different builds and then it looks like quite a bit of DLC coming down the pipe.

It's not really linear once you get past the tutorial dungeon….you can go where you like.

Nah, despite the ability to go anywhere within the zone, (And in the demo we only saw the first zone/hub or whatever you want to call it), the complete world seems pretty lineair.

It seems similar to Arcania or Two Worlds. "A" problem with Arcania, which was a zoned world, was that it was so lineair that despite this amazing engine that would allow you to go back to previously visited areas there was rarely any reason to, because there was nothing of interest. I have no doubt they'll do a better job and make it feel less lineair, but the map I post below shows me that because they want to tell a story they might simply close of zones, which you then unlock by doing thing A for person B. etc.

Kingdoms-of-Amalur-Reckoning-Skills-and-Crafting-Trailer_14.jpg

You can clearly see the zones connected through distinct corridors. I just think of something different when I think of an open-world. I guess the bar of what an open-world should be has been set for me by Bethesda. The difference isn't just in zones, the way the game works (no jumping unless at a predetermined jump-off part) also means that there will be limited vertical height. You also probably won't be able to peer from one zone two or thee zones over, because they seem to be perfectly cordonned off by whatever impassible wall substitute they could find (thick forrest, hills, mountains or water).

I'm not saying it doesn't fit any criteria of being open world but I'd call it inbetween hub based and true open world.

It's nt blocked off though.

You can clearly see the zones connected through distinct corridors.

Yeah I didn't realize how you thought the map demonstrated your assertion at first - then I realized the lightly colored areas are the actual traversable space. I'd say it looks more like a node-structured exploration model (with choke points to allow for areas to more easily be closed off from premature exploration.) From what they said in earlier interviews this will mostly be done by difficulty than the more tired trope of convenient unpassable rockslides and giant mystic doors.

I would guess that some of these choke points will have very hard to avoid fights (mobs in narrow passes), scripted fights (such as the one just as you enter the larger outdoor demo zone past the bridge), and some impassible plot-walls like border guards or convenient boulders where necessary.

So yeah it might be a lot harder to explore areas before you would normally be ready to than some people might have thought. It's not just that they'll have harder things to fight in them but that there are narrow corridors connecting some areas which may make sneaking peaks at higher level areas more of a challenge than just surviving whats in their interiors but getting through those choke points first.

Exploration may end up comparing to something between Baldur's Gate and Torment in terms of freedom to explore. No idea though until I play and no idea yet if this provides a more guided and focused exploration of each node and its daughter regions or if it does just make it feel more confined. The map does show it is not open exploration but it also seems to indicate that it is not just a giant twisting canyon/corridor in these terms either.

The devs have confirmed that there is nothing preventing you from exploring any zone as soon as you want to. Yes, there will likely be monsters in the way at various places, but nothing stops you from running right past them. There have been numerous hands-on demos for press folks, and you can find a few write-ups that detail how some folks chose to just start running and kept running to see how big the world is.

The exception is the collection of zones on the other side of the water. Apparently you don't get access to those until you complete a major plot point about halfway through the main quest (though I'm not 100% sure about that).

As to the story and lore, if I was concerned about cliche plots or settings, I would have stopped playing fantasy RPGs a long time ago. I'm old enough now to realize that I just don't care. Give me access to cool swords and armor and spells and point me towards the bad guys, and I'll be happy. Every time. It just doesn't get old for me. (Obviously, I'm talking only about story in this regard. Clearly it all needs to be implemented well and with fun gameplay). FWIW, this is why I don't write game reviews. You folks would find them all worthless. "I got to play as a dwarf and swing an axe around and kill things and it was really awesome!". Yes, I'm 39 years old, and I still feel this way when I play fantasy RPGs. (Shrug)

Furthermore, I hold out some hope that things may not transpire as they appear in Reckoning, simply because the era that takes place in the world's history after this game is called the "Age of Ruin." It's possible that things don't end all hunky-dory when we wrap things up with the Fateless One.

With all that said, I find the combination of the first mortal raised from the dead (and all the political ramifications of that), along with the notion that I am the first person who's fate is not pre-ordained, to be somewhat original and compelling to me. At least we have a logical, lore-based reason for why I am special, why I'm better than everyone, and why it's up to me to save the world. Before I came along, everybody was bound to a pre-destined fate, and there was no hope. The world was going to end, it was a done deal, and every fateweaver knew it. But now I've shown up, and I am an agent of chaos that's going to change things in ways that nobody can predict.

Yep, I just eat stuff like that up.....

Really looking forward to playing my Special Edition when it arrives on Tuesday...

I finally got around to playing the demo a few days ago...

I completely agree with this, thanks for doing all that typing for me ;)

Based on all the big names associated with this game I thought it would be an instant buy. Maybe too many cooks spoiled the broth in this case.
After the demo it will be an under $10 Steam special purchase.

Dialogue is lengthy, detailed and fleshed-out. It delivers a whole lot of punch on behalf of the story.
Very promising.... trying demo now! Oh wait it's also on console so it's probably craptastic.

redman5427 got it right, but not the way he thinks, KoA is just like Skyrim in his faults,
story sucks , dialogs suck , haven't felt any moment of choice and consequence so far.
And subjectively the WoW design, even after 7-8h of playing doesn't go down easy.
And what should be its strong point, for me is somehow blocked by the fact that I dislike all my skills. So not really keen on leveling up.
Blacksmith and Alchemy work ok.
I think I'm gonna waste some time on it, at least is not like Skyrim, pretending to be something more than it is, so I won't have a rage moment when I uninstall the game and curse the game designers.

PS: If you play in window mode, and your app freezes when using your scroll, its from Actua WIndow software (used for multiple monitors). You have to disable scrolling of inactive windows.

Enjoy the game :)

And subjectively the WoW design, even after 7-8h of playing doesn't go down easy.

I won't have a rage moment when I uninstall the game and curse the game designers.

Well since you've evidently pirated the game, I don't see how you could have much to rage about.

Ofc I have, they are hypocrites, or really poor at their jobs. They deserve bashing :)
If I paid money for their junk I would get depressed, not angered

Back
Top Bottom